Page 30 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast

Thread: IA´s Journal

Re: IA´s Journal

LESSON 6

”I am upset because I see something that is not there.”

The exercises with this idea are very similar to the preceding ones. Again, it is necessary to name both the form of upset (anger, fear, worry, depression and so on) and the perceived source very specifically for any application of the idea. For example:

”I am angry at……….because I see something that is not there.”
    ”I am worried about……….because I see something that is not there.”

Today´s idea is useful for application to anything that seems to upset you, and can profitably be used throughout the day for that purpose. However, the three or four practice periods which are required should be preceded by a minute or so of mind serching, as before, and the application of the idea to each upsetting thought uncovered in the search. Again, if you resist applying the idea to some upsetting thoughts more than to others, remind yourself of the two cautions stated in the previous lesson:

”There are no small upsets. They are all equally disturbing to my peace of mind.”
    And
    ”I cannot keep this form of upset and let the others go. For the purpose of the excercises, then, I will regard them all as the same.”

Love
    Core Affirmation: I am loved and I am worthy,
    I am safe and I am free.
    I am powerfully protected.
    I am master of my body and ruler of my mind.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 7

”I see only the past.”

This idea is particularly difficult to believe at first. Yet it is the rationale for all of the preceding ones. It is the reason why nothing that you see means anything. It is the reason why you have given everything you see all the meaning that it has for you. It is the reason why you do not understand anything you see. It is ther eason why your thoughts do not mean anything, and why they are like the things you see. It is the reason why you are never upset for the reason you think. It is the reason why you are upset because you see something that is not there.Old ideas about time are very difficult to change, because everything you believe is rooted in time, and depends on your not learning these new ideas about it. Yet that is precisely why you need new ideas about time. This first time idea is not really so strange as it may sound at first. Look at a cup, for example. Do you see a cup, or are you merely reviewing your past experiences of picking up a cup, being thirsty, drinking from a cup, feeling the rim of a cup against your lips, having breakfast and so on? Are not your aesthetic reactions to the cup, too, based on past experiences? How else would you know whether or not this kind of cup will break if you drop it? What do you know about this cup except what you learned in the past? You would have no idea what this cup is,except for your past learning. Do you, then, really see it? Look about you.This is equally true of whatever you look at. Acknowledge this by applying the idea for today indiscriminatedly to whatever catches your eye. For example:

”I see only the past in this pencil.”
    ”I see only the past in this shoe.”
    ”I see only the past in this hand.”
    ”I see only the past in that body.”
    ”I see only the past in that face.”

Do not linger over any one thing in particular, but remember to omit nothing specifically. Glance briefly at each subject, and then move on to the next. Three or four practice periods,each to last a minut or so, will be enough.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 8

”My mind is preoccupied with past thoughts.”

This idea is, of course, the reason why you see only the past. No one really sees anything. He sees only his thoughts projected outward. The mind´s preoccupation with the past is the cause of the misconception about time from which you seeing suffers. Your mind cannot grasp the present, which is the only time there is. It there fore cannot understand time, and cannot, in fact, understand anything. The one wholly true thought one can hold about the past is that it is not here. To think about it at all is therefore to think about illusions. Very few have realized what actually entailed in picturing the past or in anticipating the future. The mind is actually blank when i does this, because it is not really thinking about anything. The purpose of the exercises for today is to begin to train your mind to recognize when it is not really thinking at all. While thoughtless ideas preoccupy your mind, the truth is blocked. Recognizing that your mind has been merely blank, rather than believing that it is filled with real ideas, is the first step to opening the way to vision. The exercises for today should be done with eyes closed. This is because you actually cannot see anything, and it is easier to recognize that no matter how vividly you may picture a thought, you are not seeing anything. With as little investment as possible, serch your mind for the usual minute or so, merely noting the thoughts you find there. Name each one by the central figure or theme it contains and pass on to the next.Introduce the practice period by saying:

”I seem to be thinking about……….”
    Then name each of your thoughts specifically, for example:
    ”I seem to be thinking about(name of a person), about (name of an object), about (name of an emotion).”

And so on, concluding at the end of the mind serching period with:
    ”But my mind is preoccupied with past thoughts.”

This can be done four or five time during the day, unless you find it irritates you. If you find it trying,three or four times is sufficient. You might find it helpful, however, to include your irritation, or any emotion that the idea for today may induce, in the mind serching itself.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 9

”I see nothing as it is now.”

This idea obviously follows from the two preceding ones. But while you may be also to accept it intellectually. It is unlikely that it will mean anything to you as yet. However, understanding is not necessary at this point. In fact, the recognition that you do not understand is a prerequisite for undoing your false ideas. These exercises are concerned with practice, not with understanding. You do not need to practice what you already understand. It would indeed be circular to aim at understanding, and assume that you have it already. It is difficult for the untrained mind to believe that what it seems to picture is not there. This idea can be quite disturbing, and may meet with active resistance in any number of forms.Yet that does not preclude applying it. No more than that is required for these or any other exercises. Each small step will clear a little of the darkness away, and understanding will finally come to lighten every corner of the mind that has been cleared of the debris that darkens it. The exercises, for which three or four practice periods are sufficient, involve looking about you and applying the idea for the day to whatever you see, remembering the need for its indiscriminate application, and the essential rule of excluding nothing. For example:

”I do not see this typewriter as it is now.”
    ”I do not see this telephone as it is now.”
    ”I do not see this arm as it is now.”

Begin with things that are nearest you, and then extend the range outward:

”I do not see that coat rack as it is now.”
    ”I do not see this door as it is now.”
    ”I do not see this face as it is now.”

It is emphasized again that while complete inclusion should not be attempted, specific exclusion must be avoided. Be sure you are honest with yourself in making this distinction. You may be tempted to obscure it.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 10

”My thoughts do not mean anything.”

This idea applies to all the thoughts of which you are aware, or become aware in the practice periods. The reason the idea is applicable to all of them is that they are not your real thoughts. We have made this distinction before, and will do so again. You have no basis for comparision as yet. When you do, you will have no doubt that what you once believed were your thoughts did not mean anything. This is the second time we have used this kind of idea. The form is only slightly different. This time the idea is intoduced with ”My thoughts” instead of ”These thoughts,”and no link is made overly with the things around you. The emphasis is now on the lack of reality of what you think you think. This aspect of the correction process began with the idea that the thoughts of which you are aware are meaningless, outside rather than within; and then stressed their past rather than their present status. Now we are emphasizing that the presence of these ”thoughts” mean that you are not thinking. This is merely another way of repeating our earlier statement that your mind is really a blank. To recognize this is to recognize nothingness when you think you see it. As such, it is the prerequisite for vision. Close your eyes for these exercises, and introduce them by repeating the idea for today quite slowly to yourself. Then add:

”This idea will help to release me from all that I now believe.”

The exercises consist, as before, in serching your mind for all the thoughts that are available to you,without selection or judgment. Try to avoid classification of any kind. Infact, if you find it helpful to do so, you might imagine that you are watching an oddly assorted procession going by, which has little if any personal meaning to you. As each one crosses your mind, say:

”My thoughts about……….does not mean anything.”
    ”My thoughts about……….does not mean anything.”

Today´s though can obviously serve for any thought that distresses you at any time. In addition, five practice periods are recommended, each involving no more than a minut or so of mind serching. It is not recommended that this time period be extended, and it should be reduced to half minut or less if you experience dicomfort. Remember,however, to repeat the idea slowly before applying is specifically, and also to add:

”This idea will help me release me from all that I now believe.”

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

Lesson 11

”My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.”

This is the first idea we have had that is related to a major phase of the correction process; the revesal of the thinking of the world. It seems as if the world determines what you perceive. Today´s idea introduces the concept that your thoughts determine the world you see. Be glad indeed to practice the idea in its initial form, for in this idea is your release made sure. The key to forgiveness lies in it. The practice periods for today´s idea are to be undertaken some what differently from the previous ones. Begin with your eyes closed, and repeat the idea slowly to yourself. Then open your eyes and look about, near and far, up and down, -anywhere. During the minut or so to be spent in using the idea merely repeat it to yourself, being sure to do so without haste, and with no sense of urgency or effort. To do these exercises for maximum benefit, the eyes should move from one thing to another fairly rapidly, since they should not linger on anything in particular. The words, however, should be used in an unhurried, even leisurely fashion. The introduction to this idea, in particular, should be practiced as casually as possible. It contains the foundation for the peace,relaxation and freedom from worry that we are trying to achieve. On concluding the exercises, close your eyes and repeat the idea once more slowly to yourself. Three practice periods today will probably be sufficient. However,if there is little or no uneasiness and an inclination to do more, as may as five may be undertaken. More than this is not recommended.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

Lesson 12

”I am upset because I see a meaningless world.”

The importance of this idea lies in the fact that it contain a correction for a major perceptual distortion. You think that what upsets you is a frightening world, or a sad world, or a violent world, or an insane world. All these attributes are given it by you. The World is meaningless in itself. These exercises are done with eyes open. Look around you, this time quite slowly. Try to pace yourself so that the slow shifting of your glance from one thing to another involves a fairly constant time interval. Do not allow the time of the shift to become makedly longer or shorter, but try, instead, to keep a measured, even tempo throughout. What you see does not matter. You teach yourself this as you give whatever your glance rests on equal attention and equal value. As look about you, say to yourself:

”I think I see a fearful world,a dangerous world, a hostile world, a sad world, a wicked world, a crazy world,”

and so on, using whatever descriptive terms happen to occur to you. If terms which seem positive rather than negative occur to you, include them. For example, you might think of ”a good world,”or ”a satisfying world.” If such terms occur to you, use them along with the rest. You may not yet understand why these ”nice” adjectives belong in these exercises but remember that a ”good world” implies a ”bad” one, and a ”satisfyting world” implies an ”unsatisfying” one. All terms which cross your mind are suitable subjects for today´s exercises. Their seeming quality does not matter.Be sure that you do not alter the time intervals between applying today´s idea to what you think is pleasant and what you think is unpleasant. For the purpose of these exercises, there is no diffrence between them. At the end of thepractice period, add:

”But I am upset because I see a meaningless world.”

What is meanigless is neither good nor bad. Why, then, should a meaningless world upset you? If you could accept the world as meaningless and let the truth be written upon it for you,it would make you indescribably happy. But because it is meaningless, you are impelled to write upon it what you would have it be. It is this you see in it.It is these that is meaningless in truth. Beneath your words is written the World of God. The truth upsets you now, but when your words have been erased,you will see His. That is the ultimate purpose of these exercises. Three or four time is enough, for practicing the idea for today. Nor should the practice periods exceed a minut. You may find even this too long. Terminate the exercises whenever you experience a sense of strain.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 13

”Ameaningless world engenders fear.”

Today´s idea is really Another form of the preceding one, except that it is more specific as to the emotion aroused. Actually, a meaningless world is impossible. Nothing without meaning exists. However, it does not follow that you will not think you perceivesomething that has no meaning. On the contrary, you will be particularly likelyto think you do perceive it. Recognition of meaninglessness arouses intenseanxiety in all the separated ones. It represents a situation in which God andthe ego ”challenge” each other as to whose meaning is to be written in thefrantically to establish its own ideas there, fearful that the void mayotherwise be used to demonstrate its own ompotence and unreality. And on thisone it is correct. It is essential, therefore, that you learn to recognize themeaningless, and accept it without fear. If you are fearful, it is certain thatyou will endow the world with attributes that it does not possess, and crowd itwith images that do not exist. To the ego illusions are safety devices, as theymust also be to you who equate yourself with the ego. The exercises for today,which should be done about three or four times for not more than a minute or soat most each time, are to be practiced in a somewhat different way from thepreceding ones. With eyes closed, repeat today´s idea to yourself. Then openyou eyes, and look about you slowly, saying:

”I am looking at a meaninglessworld.”

Repeat this statement to yourselfas you look about. Then close your eyes, and conclude with:

”A meaningless world engendersfear because I think I am in completion with God.”

You may find it difficult toavoid resistance, in one form or another, to this concluding statement. Whateverform such resistance may take, remind yourelf that you are really afraid ofsuch a thought because of the ”vengeance” of the ”enemt.” Youn are not expectedto believe the statement at this point, and will probably dismis it aspreposterous. Note carefully, however, any signs of overt or covert fear whichit may arouse. This is our first attempt at stating an explicit cause andeffect relationship of a kind which you are very inexperienced in recognizing.Do not dwell on the concluding statement, and try not even to think of itexcept during the practice periods. That will suffice at present.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 14

”God did not create a meaningless world.”

The idea for today is, of course, the reason why a meaningless world is impossible. What God did not create does not exist. And everything that does exist exists as He created it.The world you see has nothing to do with reality. It is of your own making, and it does not exist. The exercises for today are to be practised with eyes closed throughout. The mind searching period should be short, a minut at most. Do not have more than three practice periods with today´s idea unless you find them comfortable. If you do, it will be because you really understand what they are for. The idea for today is another step in learning to let go the thoughts that you have written on the world, and see the Word of God in their place. The early steps in this exchange, which can truly be called salvation, can be quite difficult and even quite painful. Some of them will lead you directly into fear. You will not be left there. You will go far beyond it. Our direction is toward perfect safety and perfect peace. With eyes closed, think of all the horrors in the world that cross your mind. Name each one as it occurs to you,and then deny its reality. God did not create it, and so it is not real. Say,for example:

”God did not create that war,and so it is not real.”
    ”God did not create that airoplane crash, and so it is not real.”
    ”God did not create that disaster (specify), and so it is not real.”

Suitable subjects for the application of today´s idea also include anything you are afraid might happen to you, or to anyone about whom you are concerned. In each case, name the ”disaster”quite specifically. Do not use general terms. For example, do not say. ”God did not create illness, ”but,”God did not create cancer,”or heart attacks, or whatever may arouse fear in you. This is your personal repertory of horrors at which you are looking. These things are apart of the world you see. Some of them are shared illusions, and others are part of your personal hell. It does not matter. What God did not create can only be in your own mind apart from His. Therefore, it has no meaning. In recognition of this fact, conclude the practice periods by repeating today´s idea:

”God did not create a meaningless world.”

The idea for today can, of course, be applied to anything that disturbs you during the day, aside from the practice periods. Be very specific in applying it. Say:

”God did not create a meaningless world. He idd not create (specify the situation which is disturbing you), and so it is not real.”

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

Lesson 15

”My thoughts are images that I have made.”

It is because the thoughts you think you think appear as images that you do not recognize them as nothing. You think you think them, and so you think you see them. This is how your ”seeing”was made. This is the function you have given your body´s eyes. It is not seeing. It is image-making. It takes the place of seeing, replacing vision with illusions. This introductory idea to the process of image-making that you call seeing will not have much meaning for you. You will begin to understand it when you have seen little edges of light around the same familiar objects which you see now. That is the beginning of real vision. You can be certain that real vision will come quickly when this has occured. As we go along, you may have many ”light episodes.” They may take many different forms, some of them quite unexpected. Do not be afraid of them. They are signs that you are opening your eyes at last. They will not persist, because they merely symbolize true perception, and they are not related to knowledge. These exercises will not reveal knowledge to you. But they will prepare the way to it. In practicin the idea for today, repeat it first to yourself, and then apply it to whatever you see around you, using its name and letting your eyes rest on it as you say:

”This ……….is an imagen that I have made.”
    ”That ………is an imagen that I have made.”

It is not necessary to include a large number of specific subjects for the application of today´s idea. It is necessary, however, to continue to look at each subject while you repeat thei dea to yourself. The idea should be repeated quite slowly each time. Although you will obviously not be able to apply the idea to very many things during the minute or so of practice that is recomended, try to make the selection as random as possible. Less than a minut will do for the practice periods, if you begin to feel uneasy. Do not have more than three application periods for today´s idea unless you feel completely comfortable with it, and do not exceed four. However, the idea can be applied as needed throughout the day.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

Page 30 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast