Page 29 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast

Thread: IA´s Journal

Re: IA´s Journal

Self Concept versus Self

The learning of the world is built upon a concept of the self adjusted to the world´s reality. It fits it well. For this an image is that suits a world of shadows and illusions. Here it walks at home, where what it sees is one with it. The building of a concept of the self is what the learning of the world is for. This is its purpose; that you come without a self, and make one as you go along. And by the time you reach ”maturity” you have perfected it, to meet the world on equal terms, atone with its demans. A concept of the self is made by you. It bears no likeness to yourself at all. It is an idol, made to take the place of your reality as Son of God. The concept of the self the world would teach is not the thing thatit appears to be. For it is made to serve two purposes, but one of which the mind can recognize. The first presents the face of innocence, the aspect acted on. It is this face that smiles and charms and even seems to love. It serches for companions and it looks, at times with pity, on the suffering, ands omething offers solace. It believes that it is good within an evil world. This aspect can grow angry, for the world is wicked and unable to provide the love and shelter innocence deserves. And so this face is often wet with tears at thein justices the world accords to those who would be generous and good. This aspect never makes the first attack. But every day a hundred little things make small assaults upon its innocence, provoking it to irritation, and at last to open insult and abuse. The face of innocence the concept of the self so proudly wears can tolerate attack in slef-defence, for is it not a well-known fact the world deals harsly with defenseless innocnece? No one who makes a picture of himself omits this face, for he has need of it. The other side he does not want to see. Yet it is here the learning of the world has set its sights, for it is here the world´s ”reality” is set, to see to it the idol lasts. Beneath the face of innocence there is a lesson that the concept of the self was made to teach. It is a lesson nin a terrible displacement, and a fear so devastating that the face that smiles above it must forever look away, lest it perceive the treachery it hides. The lesson teaches this: ”I am the thing you made of me,and as you look on me, you stand condemned because of what I am.” On this conception of the self the world smiles with approval, for it guarantees the parthways of the world are safely kept, and those who walk on them will not escape. Here is the central lesson that ensures your brother is condemned eternally. For what you are has now become his sin. For this is no forgiveness possible. No loger does it matter what he does, for your accusing finger Points to him, unwawering and deadly in its aim. It points to you as well, but this is kept still deeper in the mists below the face of innocence. And in these shrouded vaults are all his sins and yours preserved and kept in darkness,where they cannot be perceived as errors, which the light would surely show. You can be neither blamed for what you are, nor can you change the things it makes you do. And you are each the symbol of your sins to one another, silently, and yet with ceaseless urgency, condemning still your brother for the hated thing you are. Concepts are learned. They are not natural. Apart from learning they do not exist. They are not given, so they must be made. Not one of them is true, and many come from feverish imaginations, hot with hatred and distortions born of fear. What is a consept but a thought to which its maker gives a meaning of his own? Concpets maintain the world. But they can not be used to demonstrate the world is real. For all of them are made within the world, born in its shadown, growing in its ways and finally ”maturing” in its thought. They are ideas of idols, painted with the brushes of the world, which cannot make a single picture representing truth. A concept of the self is meaningless, for no one here can see what it is for, and there fore cannot picture what it is. Yet is all learning that the world directs begun and ended with the single aim of teaching you this concept of yourself, that you will choose to follow this world´s laws, and never seek to go beyond its roads nor realize the way you see this concept of the self must be undone, if any peace of minds is to be given you. Nor can it be unlearned except by lessons aimed to teach that you are something else. For otherwise, you would be asked to make exchange of what you now believe for total loss of self, and greater terror would arise in you. Thus are the Holy Spirit´s lesson plans arrange in easy steps, that though there besome lack of ease at times and some distress, there is no shattering of what was learned, but just a re-translation of what seems to be the evidence on its behalf. Let us consider, then, what proof there is that you are what your brother made of you. For even though you do not yet perceive that this is whatyou think, you surely learned by now that you behave as if it were. Does here act for you? And does he know exactly what would happen? Can he see your future and ordain, before it comes, what you should do in every circumstance?He must have made the world as well as you to have such prescience in the things to come. That you are what your brother made of you seems most unlikely.Even if he did, who gave the face of innocence to you? Is this your contribution? Who is, then, the ”you” who made it? And who is deceived by all your goodness, and attacks it so? Let us forget the concept´s foolishness, and merely think of this; there are two parts to what you think yourself to be. Ifone were generated by your brother, who was there to make the other? And from whom must something be kept hidden? If the world be evil, there is still no need to hide what you are made of. Who is there to see? And what but is attacked could need defense? Perhaps the reason why this concept must be kept in darkness is that, in the light, the one who would not think it true is you.And what would happen to the world you see, if all its underpinnings were removed? Your concept of the world depends upon this concept of the self. And both would go, if either one were ever raised to doubt. The Holy Spirit doesnot seek to throw you into panic. So He merely asks if just a little question might be raised. There is an alternate about the thing that you must be. You might, for instance, be the thing you chose to have your brother be. This shifts the concept of the self from what is wholly passive, and at least makes way active choice, and some acknowledment that interaction must have entered in. There is some understanding that you chose for both of you, and what here presents has meaning that was given it by you. It also shows some glimmering of sight into perception´s law that what you see reflects the state of the perceiver´s mind. Yet who was it that did the choosing first? If you are what chose your brother be, alternatives were there to choose among, and someone must have first decided on the one to choose, and let the other go. Althoug this step has gains, it does not yet approach a basic question. Something must have gone before these concepts of the self. And something must have done the learning which gave rise to them. Nor can this be explained by either view. The main advantage of the shifting to the second from the first is that you somehow entered in the choice by your decision. But this gain is paid in almost equal loss, for now you stand accused of guilt for what your brother is. And you must share his guilt, because you chose it for him in the image of your own. While only he was trecherous before, now must you be condemned along with him. The concept of the self has always been the great preoccupation of the world. And everyone believes that he must find the answer to the riddle of himself. Salvation can be seen as nothing more than the escape from concepts. It does not concern itself with content of the mind, but with the simple statement that it thinks. And what can think has choice, and can be shown that different thoughts have different consquence. So it can learn that everything it thinks reflects the deep confusion that it feels about how it was made and what it is. And vaguely does the concept of theself appear to answer what it does not know. Seek not your Self in symbols.There can be no concept that can stand for what you are. What matters it which concept you accept while you percieve a self that interacts with evil, and reacts to wicked things? Your concept of yourself will still remain quite meaningless. And you will not perceive that you can interact but with yourself.To see a quilty world is but the sign your learning has been guided by the world, and you behold it as you see yourself. The concept of the self embraces all you look upon, and nothing is outside of this perception. If you can be hurt by anything, you see a picture of your secret wishes. Nothing more than this. And in your suffering of any kind you see your own concealed desire to kill. You will make many concepts of the self as learning goes along. Each one will show the changes in your own relationships, as your perception of yourself is changed. There will be some confusion every time there is a shift,but be your thankful that the learning of the world is loosening its grasp uponyour mind. And be you sure and happy in the cofidence that it will go at last,and leave your mind at peace. The role of the accuser will appear in many places and in many forms. And each will seem to be accusing you. Yet have no fear it will not be undone. The world can teach no images of you unless you want to learn them. There will come a time when images have all gone by, and you will see you know not what you are. It is to this unsealed and open mind that truth returns, unhindred and unbound. Where concepts of the self have be laid by is truth revelead exactly as it is. When every concept has been raised to doubt and question, and been recongized as made on no assumpptions that would stand the light, then is the truth left free to enter in its sanctuary,clean and free of guilt. There is no statement that the world is more afraid to heart han this:

”I do not know the thing I am,and therefore do not
    know what I am doing, where I am, or how to look
    upon the world or on myself.”

Yet in this learning is salvation born. And What you are will tell you of Itself.

Love
    Last edited by IA56; 17th March 2015 at 08:26 AM.
    Core Affirmation: I am loved and I am worthy,
    I am safe and I am free.
    I am powerfully protected.
    I am master of my body and ruler of my mind.
    By Robert Bruce

Recognizing the Spirit

You see the flesh or recognize the spirit. There is no compromise between the two. If one is real the other must be false, for what is real denies its opposite. There is no choice invision but this one. What you decide in this determines all you see and Think is real and hold as true. On this one choice does all your world depend, for here have you established what you are, as flesh or spirit in your own belief.If you choose flesh, you never will escape the body as you own reality, for you have chosen that you want it so. But choose the spirit, and all Heaven bends tot ouch your eyes and bless your holy sight, that you may see the world of flesh no more except to heal and comfort and to bless. Salvation is undoing. If you choose to see the body, you behold a world of separation, unrelated things, and happenings that make no sense at all. This one appears and disappears in death;that one is doomed to suffering and loss. And no one is exactly as he was an instant previous, nor will he be the same as he is now an instant hence. Whocould have trust where so much change is seen, for who is worthy if he be butdust? Salvation is undoing of all this. For constancy arises in the sight ofthose whose eyes salvation has released from looking at the cost of keepingguilt, because they chose to let it go instead. Salvation does not ask that youbehold the spirit and perceive the body not. It merely asks that this should beyour choice. For you can see the body without help, but do not understand howto behold a world apart from it. It is your world salvation will undo, and letyou see another world your eyes could never find. Be not concerned how thiscould ever be. You do not understand how what you see arose to meet your sight.For if you did, it would be gone. The veil of ignorance is drawn across theevil and the good, and must be passed, that both may disappear, so thatperception finds no hiding place. How isthis done? It is not done at all. What could there be within the universe thatGod created that must still be done? Only in arrogance could you conceive thatyou must make the way to Heaven plain. The means are given you by which to seethe world that will replace the one you made. Your will be done! In Heaven ason earth this is forever true. It matters not where you believe you are, norwhat you think the truth about yourself must really be. It makes no differencewhat you look upon, nor what you choose to feel or think or wish. For GodHimself has said, ”Your will be done.” And it is done to you accordingly. Youwho believe that you can choose to see the Son of God as you would have him be,forget not that no concept of yourself will stand against the truth of what youare. Undoing truth would be impossible. But concepts are not difficult tochange. One vision, clearly seen, that does not fit the picture as it was perceivedbefore will change the world for eyes that learn to see, because the concept ofthe self has changed.Are you invulnerable? Then the world is harmless in yoursight. Do you forgive? Then is the world forgiving, for you have forgiven it istrespasses, and so it looks on you with eyes that see as yours. Are you a body?So is all the world perceived as treacherous, and out to kill. Are you a spirit,deathless, and without the promise of corruption and the stain of sin upon you?So the world is seen as stable, fully worthy of your trust; a happy place torest in for a while, where nothing need be feared, but only loved. Who isunwelcome to the kind in heart? And what could hurt the truly innocent? Yourwill be done, you holy child of God. It does not matter if you think you are inearth or Heaven. What your Father wills of you can never change. The truth inyou remains as radiant as a star, as pure as light, as innocent as love itself.And you are worthy that your will be done!

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

The Savior´s Vision

Learning is change. Salvation does not seek to use a means as yet too alien to your thinking to be helpful, nor to make the kinds of change you could not recognize. Concepts are needed while perception lasts, and changing concepts is salvation´s task. For it must deal in contrasts not in truth, which has no opposite and cannot change. Inth is world´s concepts are the guilty ”bad”; the ”good” are innocent. And no one here but holds a concept of himself in which he counts the ”good” to pardon him the ”bad.” Nor does he trust the ”good” in anyone, believing that the ”bad”must lurk behind. This concept emhasizes trachery, and trust becomes impossible. Nor could it change while you perceive the ”bad” in you. You could not recognize your ”evil” thoughts as long as you see value in attack. You will perceive them sometimes, but will not see them as meaningless. And so they comein fearful form, with content still concealed, to shake your sorry concept of yourself and blacken it with still another ”crime.” You cannot give yourself your innocence, for you are too confused about yourself. But should one brother dawn upon your sight as wholly worthy of forgiveness, then your concept of yourself is wholy changed. Your ”evil” thoughts have been forgiven with his,because you lett hem all affect you not. No longer do you choose that you should be the sign of evil and of guilt in him. And as you give your trust to what is good in him, you give it to the good in you. In terms of concepts, itis thus you see him more than just a body, for the good is never what the body seems to be. The actions of the body are perceived as coming from the ”baser”part of you, and thus of him as well. By forcing upon the good in him, the body grows decreaingly persistent in your sight, and will at length be seen as little more than just as shadow circling round the good. And this will be your concept of yourself, when you have reached the world beyond the sight you Eyes alone can offer you to see. For you will not interpret what you see without the Aid That God has given you. And in His sight there is another world. You live in that world just as much as this. For both are concepts of yourself, which can be inter changed but never jointly held. The contrast is far greater than you think, for you will love this concept of yourself, because it was not made for you alone. Born as a gift for someone not perceived to be yourself, it has been given you. For your forgiveness, offered unto him, has been accepted now for both of you. Have faith in him who walks with you, so that your fearful concept of yourself may change. And look upon the good in him, that you may not be frightened by your ”evil” thoughts because they do not cloud your view of him. And all this shift requires is that you will willing that this happy change occur. No more than this is asked. On its behalf, remember what the concept of yourself that now you hold has brought you in its wake, and welcome the glad contrast offered you. Hold out your hand, that you may have the gift of kind forgiveness which you offer one whose need for it is just the same as yours. And let the cruel concept of yourself be changed to one the brings the peace of God. The concept of yourself that now you hold would guarantee your function here remain forever unaccomplished and undone. And thus it dooms you to a bitter sense of deep depression and futility. Yet it need not be fixed,unless you choose to hold it past the hope of change and keep it static and concealed within your mind. Give it instead to Him Who understands the changes that it needs to let it serve the function given you to bring you peace, that you may offer peace to have it yours. Alternatives are in your mind to use, and you cansee yourself another way. Would you not rather look upon yourself as needed for salvation of the world, instead of as salvation´s enemy? The concept of the self stands like a shield, a silent barricade before the truth, and hides it from your sight. All things you see are images, because you look on them as through a barrier that dims your sight and warps your vision, so that you behold nothing with clarity. The light is kept from everything you see. Atmost, you glimse a shadow of what lies beyond. At least, you merely look on darkness, and perceive the terrified imaginings that come from guilty thoughts and concepts born of fear. And what you see is hell, for fear is hell. And that is given you is for release; the sight, the vision and the inner Guide all lead you out of hell with those you love beside you, and the universe with them. Behold your role within the universe! To every part of true creation has the Lord of Love and Life entrusted all salvation from the misery of hell. And to each one has He allowed the grace to be a savior to the holy ones especially entrusted to his care. And this he learns when first he looks upon one brother as he looks upon himself, and sees the mirror of himself in him. Thus is the concept of himself laid by, for nothing stands between his sight and what he looks upon, to judge what he beholds. And in this single vision does he see the face of Christ, and understands he looks on everyone as he beholds this one. For there is light where darkness was before, and now the veil is lifted from his sight. The veil across the face of Christ, the fear of God and of salvation, and the love of guilt and death, they all are diffrent names for just one error; that there is a space between you and your brother, kept apart by an illusion of yourself that holds him off from you, and you away from him.The sword of judgment is the weapon that you give to the illusion of yourself, that it may fight to keep the space that holds your brother off unoccupied by love. Yet while you hold this sword, you must perceive the body as yourself,for you are bound to separation from the sight of him who holds the mirror to another view of what he is, and thus what you must be. What is temptation but the wish to stay in hell and misery? And what could this give rise to but animage of yourself that can be miserable, and remain in hell and torment? Who has learned to see his brother not as this has saved himself, and thus is he a savior to the rest. To everyone has God entrusted all, because a partial savior would be one who is but partly saved. The holy ones whom God has given each ofyou to save are everyone you meet or look upon, not knowing who they are; all those you saw an instant and forget, and those you knew a long while since, and those you will yet meet; the unremembered and the not yet born. For God has given you His Son to save from every concept that he ever held. Yet while you wish to stay in hell, how could you be the savior of the Son of God? For holiness is seen through holy eyes that look upon the innocence within, and this expect to see it everywhere. And so they call it forth in everyone theyl ook upon, that he may be what they expect of him. This is the savior´s vision; that he see his innocence in all he looks upon, and see his own salvation everywhere. He holds no concept of himself between his calm and open eyes and what he sees. He brings the light to what he looks upon, that he may see it as it really is. Whatever form temptation seems to take, it always but reflects a wish to be a self that you are not. And from that wish a concept rises, teaching that you are the thing you wish to be. It will remain your concept of yourself until the wish that fathered it no longer is held dear. But while you cherish it, you will behold your brother in the likeness of the self whose image has the wish begot of you. For seeing can but represnt a wish, because it has no power to create. Yet it can look with love or look with hate, depending only onthe simple choice of what ever you would join with what you see, or keep yourself apart and separate. The savior´s vision is as innocent of what your brother is as it is free of any judgment made upon yourself. It sees no past in anyone at all. And thus it serves a wholly open mind, unclouded by old concepts, and prepare to look on only what the present holds. It cannot judge because it does not know. And recongnizing this, it merely asks, ”What is the meaning of what I behold?” Then is the answer given. And the door hel dopen for the face of Christ to shine upon the one who asks, in innocence, to see beyond the veil of old ideas and ancient concepts held so long and dear against the vision of the Christ in you. Be vigilant against temptation, then, remembering that it is but a wish, insane and meaningless, to make yourself a thing that you are not. And think as well upon the thing that you would be instgead. It isa thing of madness, pain and death; a thing of treachery and black despair, offailing dreams and no remaining hope except to die, and end the dream of fear.This is temptation; nothing more than this. Can this be difficult to chooseagainst? Concider what temptation is, and see the real alternatives you choosebetween. There are but two. Be not deceived by what appears as many choices.There is hell of Heaven, and of these you choose but one. Let not the world´slight, given unto you, be hidden from the world. It needs the light, for it isdark indeed, and men despair because the savior´s vision is withheld and what theysee is death. Their savior stands, unknowing and unknown, beholding them witheyes unopened. And they cannot see until he looks on them with seeing eyes, andoffers them forgiveness with his own. Can you to whom God say´s, ”Release MySon!” be tempted not to listen, when you learn that it is you for whom He asksrelease? And what but this is what this course would teach? And what but thisis there for you to learn?

Love
    Last edited by IA56; 19th March 2015 at 12:26 PM.
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

Choose Once Again

Temptation has one lesson it would teach, in all its forms, wherever it occurs. It would persuade the holy Son of God he is a body, born in what must die, unable to escape its frailty, and bound by what it orders him to feel. It sets the limits on what he can do; its power is the only strength he has; his grasp cannot eceed its tiny reach.Would you be this, if Christ appeared to you in all His glory, asking you but this:

”’Choose once again if you would take your place
    Among the saviors of the world,or would
    remain in hell, and hold your brothers there.”

For He has come, and He is asking this. How do you make the choice? How easily is this explained! You always choose between your weakness and the strength of Christ in you. And what you choose is what you think is real. Simply by never using weakness to direct your actions, you have given it no power. And the light of Christ in you isgiven charge of everything you do. For you have brought your weakness unto Him,and He has given you His strength instead. Trials are but lessons that you failed to learn presented once again, so where you made a faulty choice Before you now can make a better one, and thus escape all pain that what you chose before has brought to you. In every difficulty, all distress, and each perplexity Christ calls to you and gently says, ”My brother, choose again.” He would not leave one souce of pain unhealed, nor any image left to veil the truth. He would not leave you comfortless, alone in dreams of hell, but would relese your mind from everything that hides His face from you. His holiness is yours because He is the only Power that is real in you. His strength is yours because He is the Self That God created as His only Son. The images you make cannot prevail against what God Himself would have you be. Be never fearful of temptation, then, but see it as it is; another chance to choose again, and let Christ´s strength prevail in every circumstance and every place you raised animage of yourself before. For what appears to hide the face of Christ is powerless before His majesty, and disappears before His holy sight. The savior of the world, who see like Him, are merely those who choose His strength instead of their own weakness, seen apart from Him. They will redeem the world, for they are joined in all the power of the Will of God. And what they will is only what He wills. Learn, then, the happy habit of response to alltemptation to perceive yourself as weak and miserable with these words,

”I am as God created me, His Son
    Can suffer nothing. And I am His Son.”

Thus is Christ´s stregth invited to prevail, replaceing all your weakness with the strength that comes from God and that can never fail. And thus are miracles as natural as fear and agony appeared to be before the choice for holiness was made. For in that choice are false distinctions gone, illusory alternatives laid by, and nothing left to interfere with truth. You are as God created you, and so is every living thing you look upon, regardless of the images you see. What you behold as sicknessand as pain, as weakness and as suffering and loss, is but temptation to perceive yourself defenseless and in hell. Yield not to this, and you will see all pain, in every form, wherever it occurs, but disappear as mists before the sun. A miracle has come to heal God´s Son, and close the door upon his Dreams of weakness, opening the way to his salvation and release. Choose once again what you would have him be, remembering that every choice again what you would have him be, remembering that every choice you make establishes you own identity as you will see it and believe it is. Deny me not the little gift I ask, when I exchange I lay before your feet the peace of God, and power to bring this Peace to everyone who wanders in the world uncertain, lonely, and in constant fear. For it is given you to join with him, and through the Christ in you unveil his eyes, and let him look upon the Christ in him. My brothers is salvation, do not fail to hear my voice and listen to my words. I ask for nothing but your won release. There is no place for hell within a world whose loveliness can yet be so intense and so incluslive it is but a step from there to Heaven. To your tired eyes I bring a vision of a different world, so new and clean and fresh you will forget the pain and sorrow that you saw before. Yet this a vision is which you must share with everyone you see, for otherwise you will behold it not. To give this gift is how to make it yours. And God ordained, in loving kindness, that it be for you. Let us be glad that we can walk the world, and find so many chances to perceive another situation where God´s gift can once again be reconginzed as ours! And thus will all the vestiges of hell, the secret sins and hidden hates be bone. And all the loveliness which they concealed appear like lawns of Heaven to our sight, to lift us high above the thorny roads we travelled on before the Christ appeared.Hear me, my brothers, hear and join with me. God has ordained I can not call invain, and in His certainty I rest content. For you will hear, and you will choose again. And in this choice is everyone made free. I thank You, Father,for these holy ones who are my brothers as they are Your Sons. My faith in them is Yours. I am as sure that they will come to me as You are sure of what the yare, and will forever be. They will accept the gift I offer them, because You gave it me on their behalf. And as I would but do Your holy Will, so will they choose. And I give thanks for them. Salvation´s song will echo through the world with every choice they make. For we are one in purpose, and the end of hell is near. In joyous welcome is my hand outstretched to every brother who would join with me in reaching past temptation, and who looks with fixed determination towards the light that shines beyond in perfect constancy. Give me my own, for they belong to You. And can You fail in what is but Your Will? I give You thanks for what my brothers are. And as each one elects to join with me, the song of thanks from earth to Heaven grows from tiny scattered threads of melody to one inclusive chorus from a world redeemed from hell, and giving thank to You. And now we say ”Amen.” For Christ has come to dwell in the abode You set for Him before time was, in calm eternity. The journey closes, ending at the place where it began. No trace of it remains. Not one illusion is accorded faith, and not one spot of darkness still remains to hide the face of Christ from anyone. Thy Will is done, complete and perfectly, and all creationr ecognizes You, and knows You as the only Source it has. Clear in Your likeness does the Light shine forth from everything that lives and moves in You. For we have reached where all of us are one, and we are home, where You would have us be.

Love
    Last edited by IA56; 22nd March 2015 at 07:36 AM.
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

INTRODUCTION

A theoretical foundation such as the text provides is necessary as a framework to make the exercises in this workbook meaningful. Yet it is doing the exercises that will make the goal of the course possible. An untrained mind can accomplish nothing. It is the purpose of this workbook to train your mind to think along the lines the text sets forth. The exercises are very simple. They do not require a great deal of time, and it does not matter where you do them. They need no preparation. The training period is one year. The exercises are numbered from 1 to 365. Do not undertake to do more than one set of exercises a day. The workbook is divided into two main sections, the first dealing with the undoing of the way you see now, and the second with the acquisition of thue perception. With the exception of the review periods, each day´s exercises are planned around one central idea, which is stated first. This is followed by a descrioption of the specific procedures by which the idea for the day is to be applied. The purpose of the workbook is to train your mind in a systematic way to a different perception of everyone and everything in the world. The exercises are planned to help you generalize the lessons, so that you will understand that each of them is equally applicable to everyone and everything you see. Transfer of training in true perception does not proceed as does transfer of the training of the world. Ift rue perception has been achieved in connection with any person, situation or event, total transfer to everyone and everything is certain. On the other hand,one exeption held apart from true perception makes its accomplishments anywhere impossible. The only general rules to be observed throughout, then, are: First,that the excersies be practised with great sepcificity, as will be indicated.This will help you to generalize the ideas involved to every situation in which you find yourself, and to everyone and everything in it. Second, be sure that you do not decide for yourself that there are some people, situations or things to which the ideas aree inapplicable. This will interfere with transfer of training. The very nature of thrue perception is that it has no limits. It is the opposite of the way you see now. The overall aim of the exercises is to increase your ability to extend the ideas you will be practicing to include everything.This will require no effort on your part. The exercises themselves meet to conditions necessary for this kind of transfer. Some of the ideas the workbook presents you will find hard to believe, and others may seem to be quite startling. This does not matter. You are merely asked to apply the ideas as you are directed to do. You are not asked to judge them at all. You are asked only to use them. It is their use that will give them meaning to you, and will show you that they are true. Remember only this; you need not believe the ideas, you need only to accept them, and you need not even welcome them. Some of them you may actively resist. None of this will matter, or decrease their efficacy. But do not allow yourself to make exceptions in applying the ideas the workbook contains, and whatever your reactions to the ideas may be, use them. Nothing more than that is required.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 1

”Nothing I see in this room (on this street, from this window, in this place) means anything.”

Now look slowly around you, and practice applying this idea very specifically to whatever you see:

”This table does not mean anything.”
    ”This chair does not mean anything.”
    This hand does not mean anything.”
    ”This foot does not mean anything.”
    ”This pen does not mean anything.”

Then look farther away from your immedite area, and apply the idea to a wider range:

”That door does not mean anything.”
    ”That body does not mean anything.”
    ”That lamp does not mean anything.”
    ”That sign does not mean anything.”
    ”That shadow does not mean anything.”

Notice that these statements are not arranged in any order, and make no allowance for differences in the kinds of things to which they are applied. That is the purpose of the exercise. The statement should merely by applied to anything you see. As you practice the idea for the day, use it totally indiscriminately. Do not attempt to apply it to everything you see, for these exercises should not become ritualistic. Only be sure that nothing you see is specifically excluded. One thing is like another as far as the application of the idea is concerned. Each of the first three lessons should not be done more htan twice a day each, preferable morning and evening. Nor should they be attempted for more than a minute or so, unless that entails a sense of hurry. A comfortable sense of leisure is essential.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 2

”I have given everything I seein this room (on this street, from this window, in this place) all the meaning that it has for me.”

The exercises with this idea aret he same as those for the first one. Begin with the things that are near you, and apply the idea to whatever your glance rests on. Then increase the range outward. Turn your head so that you include whatever is on either side. If possible, turn around and apply the idea to what was behind you. Remain as indiscriminate as possible in selecting subjects for its application, do not concentrate on anything in particular, an do not attempt to include Everything you see in a given area, or you will introduce strain. Merely glance easily and fairly quickly around you, trying to avoid selection by size, brightness, color, material, or relative importance to you. Take the subjects simply as yousee them. Try to apply the exercise with equal ease to a body or a button, orfly or a floor, and arm or an apple. The sole criterion for applying the idea to anything is merely that your eyes have lighted on it. Make no attempt to include anything particular, but be sure that nothing is specially excluded.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

Lesson 3

”I do not understand anything I see in this room (on this street, from this window, in this place).”

Apply this idea in the same way as the previous ones, without making distinctions of any kind. Whatever you see becomes a proper subject for applying the idea. Be sure that you do not question the suitablility of anything for application of this idea. These are not excersies in judgment. Anything is suitable if you see it. Some of the things you see may have emotionally-charged meaning for you. Try to lay such feelings aside, and merely use these things exactly as you would anything else. The point of the excersises is to help you clear your mind of all past associations, to see things exactly as they appear to you now, and to realize how little you really understand about them. It is therefore essential that you keep a perfectly open mind, unhampered by judgment, in selecting the things to which the idea for the day is to be applied. For this purpose one thing is like another; equally sutiable and therefore equally useful.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 4

”These thoughts do not mean anything. They are like the things I see in this room (on this street, from this window, in this place).”

Unlike the preceding ones, these exercises do not begin with the idea for the day. In these practice periods,begin with nothing the thoughts that are crossing your mind for about a minut.Then apply the idea to them. If you are already aware of unhappy thoughts, usem them as subjects for the idea. Do not, however, selcet only the thoughts you think are ”bad”. You will find, if you train yourself to look at your thoughts,that they represent such a mixture that, in a sense, none of them can be called”good” or ”bad.” This is why they do not mean anything. In selecting the subjects for the application of today´s idea, the usual specificity is required. Do not be afraid to use ”good” thoughts as well as ”bad”. None of them represents your real thoughts, which are being covered up by them. The ”good”ones are but shadows of what lies beyond, and shadows make sight difficult. The”bad” ones are blocks to sight, and make seeing impossible. You do not want either. This is a major exercise, and will be repeted from time to time in somewhat different form. The aim here is to train you in the first steps toward the goal of separating the meaningless from the meaningful. It is a first attempt in the long-range purpose of learning to see the meaningless as outside you, and the meaningful within. It is also the beginning of training your mind to recognize what is the same and what is different. In using your thoughts for application of the idea for today, identify each thought by the cental figure or event it contains; for example:

”This thought about ……………….does not mean anything. It is like the things I see in this room, (on this street,and so on).”

You can also use the idea for a particular thought that you recognize as harmful. This practice is useful, but is not a substitute for the more random procedures to be followed for the excercises. Do not, however, examine your mind for more than a minut or so. You are too in experienced as yet to avoid a tendency to become pointlessly preoccupied. Further, since these exercises are the first of their kind, you may find the suspension of judgment in connection with thoughts particularly difficult. Do not repeat these exercises more than three or four times during the day. We will return to them later.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

LESSON 5

”I am never upset for the reason I think.”

This idea, like the preceding one, can be used with any person, situation or event you think is causing your pain. Apply it specifically to whatever you believe is the cause of your upset,using the description of the feeling in whatever term seems accurat to you. The upset may seem to be fear, worry, depression, anxiety, anger, hatred, jealousy or any number of forms, all of which will be perceived as different. This is not true. However, until you learn that form does not matter, each form becomes a proper subject for the execises for the day. Applying the same idea to each of them separately is the first step in ultimately recognizing they are all thes ame. When using the idea for today for a specific perceived cause of an upset in any form, use both the name of the form in which you see the upset, and the cause which you ascribe to it. For example:

”I am not angry to……….for the reason I think.”
    ”I am not afraid of……….for the reason I think.”

But again, this should not be substituted for practice periods in which you first serch you mind for”sources” of upset in which you believe, and forms of upset which you think result. In these exercises, more than in the preceding ones, you may find it hard to be indiscriminate, and to avoid giving greater weight to some subjects than to others. It might help to preced the excercises with the statement:

”There are no small upsets. They are all equally disturbing to my peace of mind.”

Then examine your mind for whatever is distressing you, regardless of how much or how little you think it is doing so. You may also find yourself less willing to apply today´s idea tos ome perceived sources of upset than to others. If this occurs, think first of this:

”I cannot keep this form of upset and let the others go. For the purpose of these excercises, I will regard them all as the same.”

Then serch your mind for no morethan a minut or so, and try to identify a number of different forms of upset that are disturbing you, regardless of the relative importance you may give them. Apply the idea for today to each of them, using the name of both thes ource of the upset as you perceive it, and of the feeling as you experience it. Further example are:

”I am not worried about……….for the reason I think.”
    ”I am not depressed about……….for the reason I think.”

Three or four time during the day is enough.

Love
    I am safe and I am free.
    By Robert Bruce

Page 29 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast