Oh dear! I'm so sorry that I didn't see your thread before, dontco. I don't visit this forum very often, as I have commitments elsewhere on animal forums. Like you, I am also a reader of the research of Michael Newton. You probably know that he was a total sceptic for years, until one of his clients came out unexpectedly with information about life between lives, and that was later replicated countless times with other clients.

To answer your original question, it is perfectly possible for your pets to visit you (as has now happened to you and happens to me frequently) or for you to visit him on the astral. Assuming that you already are able to project to the astral plane (rather than just drifting around the RTZ in your etheric body), then all you need to do is tune into your dog's spiritual signature. Every being has his/her own unique signature, rather like DNA in the physical. If you can't feel his spiritual signature, send him a message with all your heart, all your devotion and all your concentration. Ask him to send you a signal of love. Then picture him in your mind, wait for the "beam of love" - just follow it and you will get there. The key in projecting to a specific being on the astral is a very strong heartfelt desire to do it. Just concentrate on your intense love and your resultant desire to see the loved one - and nothing else.

All creatures pass to the astral, without exception. There is no difference between the transitioning of humans and other animals. So the visiting process is the same, too. It is easier, obviously, to visit loved ones (human or pet) on the astral than others we knew only a little or not at all. That is also possible, but that would take us beyond the scope of your question.

I am so happy that your pet visited you. Actually, visits from loved ones on the astral are actually very common. After all, it is only another dimension! It's just that we are usually so busy with our lives (rushing around like ants) that we don't even notice.

Feel free to contact me by PM if you ever want to discuss this on a personal level.