Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Loving self vs. too much ego

Blog Entries

Loving self vs. too much ego

Loving yourself is an important part of healthy living but it can also cause "too much ego syndrome".What do you think is the limit and how do you stay within the limits?
    Dontco.
    My twitter inspirational quotes account
    "By your own effort waken yourself, watch yourself. And live joyfully. You are the master." —Buddha
    I am another you. You are another me.

Blog Entries

Re: Loving self vs. too much ego

I think obsessing about too much ego is the best way to strengthen it and let its unsavory side take control-self loathing.

The ego is a construct we create to function in the manifest world-the manifest world is threedimensional and meant to be experienced. If it weren't, we wouldn't be here at all. So you have to decide, are we here because we want to experience, or are we not here and having some sort of illusion? If we are here then we must stop demonizing the vehicle in which we have decided to manifest (ego is simply the point of view of being 'me' and everything else being 'not me') and realize we can live in harmony while it exists- because hating the ego is further fragmenting the sense of "I" to project it's less pleasant characteristics and create more "not me" to hate.
    Or, we are not really here, the manifest world is illusion, and the ego is a construct we believe exists but really doesn't, and by believing in it we reinforce it until it becomes the only reality we can possibly have.

Either way, it's not a good result. But we, as perfect beings, could begin to learn to see everything else as "me" or if you can't do that, 'divine', and once you see everything that way, and can muster love for every living thing and situation, and give it the only reality that can be.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries

You're a spiritual genius.
    "By your own effort waken yourself, watch yourself. And live joyfully. You are the master." —Buddha

Blog Entries

Not really, I just have lots of opinions. But thank you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler View Post
    I think obsessing about too much ego is the best way to strengthen it and let its unsavory side take control-self loathing.
    Yes.

Ego's function is actually vital: you need a material ego-self to interpret your reality through itself (its filters, experiences, beliefs, etc.). To that end, ego is powerfully programmed "to survive". It doesn't care if its loved, hated, or both. It just has a need to survive. This is why, IMHO, you can't ever really "kill" the ego. It just takes the experience of "ego death" (seeing itself for what it really is) and makes that part of its identity, of its "reality filter" if you will. Ego is a functional, necessary part of human experience. The real trick is in keeping the perspective of the "higher self" (whatever phrase you want to use there, really) in balance with the perspective of the ego. Once ego knows its true purpose, it's a lot less likely to go off on tangents (but sometimes still does).

I think I just said pretty much what CFTraveler did, but in different words.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

Haha I think so. I like the 'keeping the perspective of the higher self' part as a description of 'loving everything as divine' way of saying it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyWoman View Post
    Yes.

Ego's function is actually vital: you need a material ego-self to interpret your reality through itself (its filters, experiences, beliefs, etc.). To that end, ego is powerfully programmed "to survive". It doesn't care if its loved, hated, or both. It just has a need to survive. This is why, IMHO, you can't ever really "kill" the ego. It just takes the experience of "ego death" (seeing itself for what it really is) and makes that part of its identity, of its "reality filter" if you will. Ego is a functional, necessary part of human experience. The real trick is in keeping the perspective of the "higher self" (whatever phrase you want to use there, really) in balance with the perspective of the ego. Once ego knows its true purpose, it's a lot less likely to go off on tangents (but sometimes still does).

I think I just said pretty much what CFTraveler did, but in different words.
    You're great, thank you!!! it's wonderful to have such smart individuals around.

I dont know. I dont think I associate myself with my ego....I consider my ego pretty much a child, And although I love the little guy he is non the less, a child, and sometimes it seems causes more problems than he solves. I think the ego is more or less just a projection of what You are. Its held there in a kind of limbo an intricate part of you but yet somehow observable from without, It is, or mine is, an unfinished painting, not because it lacks paint but because it is covered with blotches, smears, and globs of ugly colors that have to be dabbed off the surface once done, its no longer the ego that I know but hopefully a reflection of my higherself....my true ego. And the only way to fix the damn thing is with loving patient care and determination.
    I sent my soul through the Invisible. Some letter of that After-life to spell: And by and by my Soul returned to me and answered. "I Myself am Heaven and Hell." - Omar Kayyam

Lots of different definitions of ego here. I've always thought of it as myself. The conscious self aware presence looking out from behind my eyes that thinks, dreams, feels acts and grows.

Blog Entries

Thank you both, interesting answers! What I meant in this thread when I said ego is the part of yourself that wants to be important, to be noticed and powerful. To be the best in everything and loved by all.