Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Seeking greater understanding of the Big Picture

Re: Seeking greater understanding of the Big Picture

Hi Energize , just want to say reading your posts and questions I can feel the excitement you are feeling. It comes through in your writing. This reminds me of when I first started out and infact I don't think the excitement has left me. Guessing here but I think many reading this would say the same.
    Those people who may wonder WHY waste time following this? You've already answered the question.
    It has helped you in many ways.
    You could ask someone. Why fly kites? why birdwatch? why collect stamps, why study ancient history when it's all in the past?
    They will all have an excitement that you don't feel and maybe wonder what the heck there talking about. Crazy people.
    So you have found this door that is open to walk through and explore. I think we should never stop asking questions, trying to find answers, admitting to getting it wrong along the way and always keeping an open mind to every possability.
    I think none of us will ever know for sure of anything until we pass but we can for sure have a great adventure trying to find out.
    What other HOBBY could provide you with
    Curiosity
    Fear
    Hunger for more
    Surprise
    Dis-belief
    Excitement
    Obsession
    Maybe dissapointment
    Maybe imbalance
    The list goes on.

Thanks Ia and Susan for your encouraging messages. Good to hear from fellow travellers and explorers.

I wanted to briefly share a concept I have been pondering. I (and my sons) play video games. These days, the graphics are really excellent and realistic, and the stories and characters have quite a bit of depth. Virtual reality!

I can't help but compare these games to the concept of the Big Picture...loosely anyway.

While I play a game, I am immersed in the world and the experiences of the character I am playing. But when it is time to end the gaming session, I easily withdraw from the experience, and return to my regular reality. This strikes me as somewhat similar to the concept of a soul living lives in this dimension. Ending incarnation is like ending a gaming session. All in a much much more profound and deeper way of course, but I suspect there may be some conceptual similarities.

When I am playing a really good game, I will often create several different characters to explore their strengths and weaknesses. Again - like multiple lives lived within a single world by the same player/soul. Add to the mix, the pursuit of MMOG's (massively multiplayer online games), where thousands of players play their characters in a shared world...now the analogy gets even stronger. Talking with each other, helping each other, stealing from each other, and fighting each other. Welcome to EARTH! We are truely brave badasses!!

Finally, in regards to this (somewhat confusing) concept of 'probable selves'...often I will save my game at a particular crossroads, and try out different actions to see what happens, reloading the save each time. I've even taken it to extremes within the game system, like jumping my character off a cliff, just to see what's down there, heh heh! Ahhh...no consequences!

I'm not in any way confusing our reality with fantasy game worlds of course, but it is very interesting to see the vague similarities between the two. A couple of the many key differences (as I understand it) is that the 'real' world is for much higher stakes, and the 'character' being played is conscious in its own right.

Could it be that the popularity of games has its root in peoples' unconscious identification with the process? Nah! It's just fun!
    Last edited by Energize; 23rd May 2015 at 02:10 AM.

Hi Energize, very good read and well thought out.
    For me. I can honestly say with all my heart that I have never in my life played a computer game. I haven't even watched the film Star Wars.
    I must be the only nerd around.( not sure what that means but sounds right).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Energize View Post
    While I play a game, I am immersed in the world and the experiences of the character I am playing. But when it is time to end the gaming session, I easily withdraw from the experience, and return to my regular reality. This strikes me as somewhat similar to the concept of a soul living lives in this dimension. Ending incarnation is like ending a gaming session. All in a much much more profound and deeper way of course, but I suspect there may be some conceptual similarities.
    Yep. I've made that comparison, myself. It's a pretty good metaphor, I think.

often I will save my game at a particular crossroads, and try out different actions to see what happens, reloading the save each time. I've even taken it to extremes within the game system, like jumping my character off a cliff, just to see what's down there, heh heh! Ahhh...no consequences!
    Yes. Exactly like that.

Could it be that the popularity of games has its root in peoples' unconscious identification with the process? Nah! It's just fun!
    Human minds are by their nature easily drawn into the drama and conflict and comedy of stories. Books, plays, films, tv shows, video games... reality...
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Thanks Susan. And by the way, game players and Star Wars viewers are the ones generally known as nerds. You may be one of the few non-nerds around.

Thanks BFW. It is strange indeed the stuff people are interested in for their entertainment. I've known mild mannered people who only watch crime documentaries about serial killers, a friend who is mysteriously obsessed with maritime warfare, and my wife (who generally has her head screwed on right) often enjoys watching trashy 'tabloid' reality shows. Go figure eh? Where does all THAT come from?

Blog Entries

Thanks BFW. It is strange indeed the stuff people are interested in for their entertainment. I've known mild mannered people who only watch crime documentaries about serial killers, a friend who is mysteriously obsessed with maritime warfare, and my wife (who generally has her head screwed on right) often enjoys watching trashy 'tabloid' reality shows. Go figure eh? Where does all THAT come from?
    One of my guilty pleasures is "Cops". Yes, the cheap send-a-camera-with-some-cops show with incredibly stupid criminals who are apparently happy to sign release forms and appear on television in all their criminal stupidity. I dunno. (I do have rules. I don't seek it out, never record it, but if I'm flipping channels and it's on and I haven't got something more pressing to watch, well... )
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Maybe you are Senior Constable ButterflyWoman in another reality!!

Still only a little way into 'Unknown Realities', and 'Seth' is already talking about infinite probable selves. This really twists my brain into a knot. I'm sure more understanding will come the deeper I get into the book.

Nonetheless, there are already some very interesting nuggets of information I've come across so far.

In one of the footnotes Seth says "I will speak of the entity {I think this is referring to the 'oversoul' or 'greater self'}, the personalities, the reincarnations, the diverse personality fragment groupings {the 'probable selves'?}, the planes with which you are familiar or can understand, and ultimately try to deal with your questions, implied if not spoken, as to where entities came from to begin with." This is exactly what I want to know more about.

There are 2 things about the probable selves that gives me pause. One, is how this fits in to the Big Picture I have been reading about. It doesn't seem to fit. Two, is the idea that 'I' am experiencing infinite other paths is somehow disquieting. Conceptually - Is there a me out there that is in dire trouble and needs help or is heading down a dark path? Conversely, is there a me out there that is like Superman, and 'I' am the one lagging behind?

Here is another quote from Unknown Realities that talks about the interrelation of the probable selves: "This material should not make you feel unimportant or insignificant. The framework is so woven that each particle [of consciousness] is dependent upon every other. The strength of one adds to the strength of all. The weakness of one weakens the whole. The energy of one recreates whole. The striving of one increases the potentiality of everything that is, and this places great responsibility upon every consciousness."

Wow. Heady stuff. Although it all sounds vaguely narcissistic heh heh!

Blog Entries

Maybe you are Senior Constable ButterflyWoman in another reality!!
    Or a criminal. It's not so unthinkable. A few slightly different turns in life...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast