I agree that the interpretation of negative beings may be questioned. For example the Goetic forms are both positive and negative just as the Hermetic elements are both positive and negative and so is the potential for humanity. None of us are perfect . We have flaws and we fall and rise again. IF the being hurts and burns when it appears and IF the being asks one to harm self or another then it is acting negative or evil in that aspect. But sometimes it is a test. The Goetic forms have both an angelic and a demonic aspect. When they appear the query the magickian's heart and mind. When the answer is not loving, when the answer speaks of anger, hatred and revenge then the magickian is punished. The Goetic forms ,ime and imho, are an example of a test and the hateful answer evokes a consequence.

When a being offers a wand , rod or weapon this is an initiation or attunement. For example, Michael the Archangel is known for appearing to mystics and offering them a sword of energy. That sword is not a weapon to kill. If used for that purpose , the magickian would have dire consequences. The sword is used to dispel the negative being , to protect an innocent from a neg , to banish and to repel. It is not used to spear , maim and execute . I do not know the being you speak of . Many beings have alternate and diverse names but I don't know this one you speak of . However a wand/staff is used to direct and focus the magickian's energy and is not evil.

The Hermetic Magickian and author, Franz Bardon, expresses that the tool or instrument is not evil or good , it is the intent and the result that is good or evil.