I live in an apartment alone. I used to live walking distance from my ex-partner and children, but they have moved away. My ex has a big problem with family dramas of her own and trying to drag other people into her dramas and that was pretty much the reason she moved as I was breaking down and screaming at her, not coping with her dramas. Although we got on well when she wasn't in the grip of problems with her relatives.

Anyway right now I'm pretty much alone. I only have the means to visit my ex and kids once a week, which I do, and I have a job, and friends, which I am very very grateful for, but I just can't get used to living alone. I need someone to watch TV with or something.

I'm not sure if I should try to find a girlfriend...not really wanting a relationship, or just invite friends over more...I feel unsure. My apartment is paid for with welfare/benefits as I am diagnosed with some special needs that class me as disabled. (mild autism and dyspraxia/tourettes type difficulties).

I have thought about asking if I can live in a shared house but I don't think that would be a good idea as, being a bit vulnerable and quiet I need my own space and I'd be scared I'd end up with loud dope-smokers and drinkers. I live in a huge dope and alcohol town. While I love my friends who are into that stuff, I don't think I could cope with living with them as I need quiet and not to be with people who are up all night talking and playing music.

I thought about looking for a flatmate but not sure about that either. I would not want to end up with someone I can't trust, and I like having total control over how much hot water/electric I use, can't imagine stressing over splitting the price with someone.

Also, I feel like I'm having trouble connecting with people. There are a couple of female friends I chat to at the autism meetup I attend who are into the same things as me, like the paranormal and sci-fi, and I chat to them but I find it hard to take the friendship further. I'd like someone like them as a non-romantic flatmate, but..things like asking to see them or email them without sounding romantic, I just feel it's difficult.

I'd love a quiet-living, trustworthy laidback housemate to chat and watch tv with. I mean I'm not that quiet, I go to bars and nightclubs and I like having fun, I just need it to be limited and stop when I get home, not live in the kind of place that has a ton of friends coming in all the time and sitting up all night playing music all the time.