Basically I was 13. I was a big horror literature fan and my parents did not approve. My mother is a Christian and had bad occult experiences in her youth. I wanted to see the film Interview with a Vampire as I had read some of the books and it was out on video. My parents forbade me. For some reason, it tipped me over the edge and I went nuts. I packed a bag and ran away from home, I stayed away and sat in fields for a while, then I went to my Gran's house and she made me a meal and called my parents. When I got home my Mom was crazy and punched my face leaving bruises on my face because she was worried and thought I was dead somewhere. When she saw the bag and opened it seeing clothes she punched me again. I just shut myself in my room and she was screaming through the door saying she was going to come in there and kill me.

I look back now and I don't know what I was thinking. I was not alone in the adventure, I somehow persuaded a friend to come with me (his parents did not react as badly, they just thought he was hanging out with me.) I had to talk to social services and lied about the bruises saying I hurt myself outside and got sent to counselors.

I was having a very tough time at school - I was later diagnosed with mild Autism - and I kind of blamed my parents for all my problems. Everyone else I knew at school liked sport, their parents were into sport and drinking in bars, I felt like an alien and didn't fit in with anyone. My parents didn't know anything about sport and just liked religion, although my Dad also liked sneaking off with women from his office. I thought not being able to watch the vampire film was the last straw, the one thing I had to make me happy they wanted to spoil that as well.

I apologize for just spewing out the text without any real reason, I just wanted to write the story down. I still feel shaky about it now 20 years later. BTW I watched the film last night for the first time.