Thread: 4-7-8 Breath

4-7-8 Breath

Hi guys,
    Thought I'd share a short and sweet breathing exercise with you.
    The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise

This breathing exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

• Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
    • Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
    • Hold your breath for a count of seven.
    • Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
    • This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.
    This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths (no more) . If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.
    Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens - before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

Here's a video demonstration:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/VDR00160...-8-Breath.html
    Last edited by Mind>Matter; 8th July 2016 at 04:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: 4-7-8 Breath

Because of the link posting rules, we'd prefer if you copied and pasted the article, with proper attribution, instead of posting the link.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Thanks for sharing, I tried it and it made me feel good
    Astral Projection = Epic

Thank you, do you also try deep and slow belly breathing? Just breathing downward so the diaphragm expands on the inhale and pulling the stomach back in slightly on a longer exhale. That puts me to sleep, and works well when I'm having minor PTSD episodes so I'll confirm that it works well.

What do you mainly use your breathing exercises for? Fitness, meditation, chi kung, NEW? (Calming down before a study session)?

Blog Entries

This is a good technique for dealing with panic/anxiety. I've used it for years. It can also help some people with insomnia.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.