Hello Robert,

Here’s a question I’ve been thinking about involving severe mental illness, e.g. schizophrenia or schizoid-type personality disorders. I’ve gotten intuitive impressions about the nature of our minds as being a collection of aspects, such that the Jungian sort of idea that we are a collection of spirits on two legs seems to make a lot of sense. Similarly, in some respects, transient psychotic symptoms seem like they can stem from normal psycho-spiritual developmental processes (kundalini awakening, raising, shamanic initiation).

When I look at the symptoms of schizophrenia I see signs of heightened psychic sensitivity. A related disorder often seen in relatives of schizophrenic individuals is one called schizotypal personality disorder, characterized by intense social anxiety and magical thinking. To me, again, this sounds like a spiritually aware person with keen empathic sensitivity. The mental health field still by and large does not distinguish between spiritual phenomena and psychosis -- for example, I'm trained to interpret seeing balls of light as indicative of psychosis (of course, I know better ).

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about more enduring forms of psychosis and can’t help but wonder – are these people simply dealing with a coupling of strong psychic sensitivity and perhaps some type of empathic overload or congestion of negative energies? A lot of the impressions that they get seem to be noisy astral stuff. In the mental health field, we know pretty little about these disorders, but prevailing knowledge is that schizophrenia seems more biologically-rooted than things like depression or anxiety. Still, anything acting on a person from a metaphysical angle would likely cause corresponding physical changes e.g. brain or neurotransmitter abnormalities (or vice versa).

I ask as someone training to be a mental health professional in a field that in many ways does not see the forest from the trees. The most interesting part of this, for me, is this: could someone be helped by some form of energetic cleansing, magick, or, perhaps to a lesser extent, healing? Intuitively, these things feel to some extent true, but I wonder if it necessarily would apply to all cases of these disorders (perhaps there are a variety of causes, or combinations of causes).

The Fifth