Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Take a shot at interpreting this?

Pilar Guest

Take a shot at interpreting this?

So here's a fun dream I had last night, you may take a stab at interpreting if you like, as an exercise in fun, I guess

I am holding an oval brooch, that is sort of ugly, with a diamond in the center. It was given to me by my grandmother. I am getting ready to hand it over to an appraiser to get an idea of its value $$.

As I look at the brooch closely, I see some material flaking around the diamond. Curious, I take a pen-knife and pick at it, and to my surprise the whole face of the brooch comes off and reveals another piece of jewellry hidden inside. This piece is clearly more valuable--it has large diamonds cut in a big square and is quite pretty.

I pocket the nice piece, put the ugly thing back together and hand it over to the appraiser.

Okay, so...background info. My grandmother just died within the last year. She did give me a diamond ring which I am supposed to pick up from the appraiser today.

I am pretty sure I already know what you are going to say about this, but...open! free for all!

Okay, Beekeeper, you just let us all have a say on yours, now you can say on mine

blessings!
    Pilar

Fliesatnite Guest
    okay, I'll bite!

Here's my take. The brooch is much more valuable to you than you let on to the appraiser. You already know that the sentimental value cannot be measured, which is why you pocketed the 'more valueable inside piece'.

inside = inner

Pilar Guest
    Oh, wait. Did I mention that I have been toying with the idea of selling it and I'm feeling torn on the matter?

I picked it up from the appraiser today and now I have the paperwork I need to sell it. It isn't worth very much, but I could sure use the money right now to attend a writing program I was just accepted to. I'm feeling attached to it because my grandmother gave it to me and it is all I have of my connection to her, which I valued. I also think at times that it might be good for me to break this attachment.

?.

P

orbit1 Guest
    I'm not much of a dream interpreter, but it's fun to toss ideas out there. Just for variety, I'll offer an opposite interpretation of Fliesatnite's.

Perhaps the value inside is the writing program that you were going to spend the money on. While you may be losing the physical item that connects you to your grandmother, maybe this writing program will be much more valuable to you. Your grandmother has left this item to you so that you may pursue your writing aspirations. Whatever you take away from the writing program, your grandmother goes with it, and so you will still be connected to her in that way.

Or maybe that's just giving you an excuse to sell it.

Akashic_Librarian Guest
    The object (The brooch) has more value than you think and only by carefully searching can you find its true value.

Pilar Guest
    You guys are good at this

I do like the excuse to sell it , although I suspect the last post is true.

Blog Entries
    This is so funny, I was analysing your dream on a word document a line at a time. (Usually I'll read the whole thing first). Then I got to the specific address to Beekeeper and I had to smile

Okay, so I presume the brooch is real and you're feeling a bit guilty about selling it. Maybe the brooch and the act of giving it away can be seen symbolically?

Here's what I had on that word document to paste in.

Hi Pilar,

I’m not letting myself look at the other interpretations before I write this. Sorry in advance if it’s repetitive.

An oval brooch: things going egg-shaped. Not quite round but not jagged either. A kind of feminine shape. Associated with sentimentality.

Sort of ugly but with a diamond in the middle: Good things at the heart of the less appealing aspects. How you feel about yourself sometimes? Are you seeing a symbol of yourself here? As such, are you giving away a part of yourself?

Given by your grandmother: your inheritance. The ways in which you’re typical of your family. Attachment.

The appraiser: how you or others judge yourself and your family and the place you hold in the world as a consequence of your inherited traits. Someone who will value monetary worth rather than other things.

As I look at the brooch closely, I see some material flaking around the diamond. Curious, I take a pen-knife and pick at it, and to my surprise the whole face of the brooch comes off and reveals another piece of jewellry hidden inside. This piece is clearly more valuable--it has large diamonds cut in a big square and is quite pretty.
    When you are challenged by life and you think you’re falling apart, you do the inner work and find something even more precious than you initially thought within you- something that was always there and that goes beyond what you’ve learnt or inherited from family. The square cut suggests strength/solidity. Also, giving away something acquired in order to establish something of your own making. Something your family gave you which surpasses what you first imagined it to be.

I pocket the nice piece, put the ugly thing back together and hand it over to the appraiser.
    You know your worth. It doesn’t matter so much what the world thinks. Such judgements are superficial. The nice piece is pure consciousness. The piece you give away is material in nature. The brooch was given in a certain spirit- it's okay to give it away because it was meant to benefit you.

Any good? That was fun. Nice dream.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Pilar Guest
    Wow! You put so much effort into this interpretation! You should be charging for this service!!

(Maybe that would be better than the 'dream-job' you passed up

aloha

Thank you all!

Pilar

Blog Entries
    Yeah, they'd pay me to stop. I'd make a fortune!

Sorry I was a so long winded- occupational hazard.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Pilar Guest
    No, it's great!

So I'm still sitting here with the ring trying to decide whether I can let go of it or not. I hear people saying that if I sell it and use the money to go to my writing program, it is like transmuting the energy my grandmother gave me and moving it forward. I like this idea alot.

I've also been wondering about what healing properties a pure diamond might have. I read that a diamond is special because it retains a karmic imprint of the union it was used to seal. That has me wondering what kind of family history might be attached to this object, and whether I want that in my possession (good, or harmful?) Or even if owning a diamond might be a special healing tool? I'm not likely to receive a diamond ring again in my life, and I can't imagine purchasing one. So...own a diamond or not own one?

ha ha! As you can see, this ring is a complicated issue for me

I also need to spend some time thinking about how this relates to myself and my family, as you suggested. I liked those points you raised.

aloha

Pilar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast