Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lost in the Bible Belt

deneb Guest

Lost in the Bible Belt

I had been living a metaphysical life for 16 years until a move from Southern California found me in a new relationship in the Bible Belt in a small town in the deep southern U.S. and attending an ultra-conservative Baptist Church. While I wouldn't consider my wife overly-conservative, she does agree with the basic teaching of the church - which is fine. She goes there because she feels at home. Until I started attending the church, I would have considered her its most liberal member - not Al Gore liberal, but liberal for a conservative. For me, I figued that going to the church would be a good chance for me to expand my spirituality, understand Christians better, and to seek the true message under the retoric.

Now, over 2 years later, a major part of my spirit has felt gouged out. I found that I just could not abide by many of the religious teachings. Refusuing to fill that space with what I was hearing, I recently turned my energies back into more classically metaphysical studies (especially Astrology and Tarot), but I can't seem to find the spiritual involvement that I once possessed.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into this.

Thank You

gorillabait Guest
    Hi deneb,

I think you need to get back in touch with your core motivations. What aspect of spirituality attracts you the most? If it's mysticism/exploration of reality, I would recommend you practice NEW/Projection and meditation. If it's self-exploration/realization, I would recommend a steady course of meditation/introspection.

If going to church leaves you feeling drained and unhappy, maybe you should reconsider going, or where you attend. Though it's definitely hard to leave an activity you and your wife mutually attend, especially one so loaded with meaning (if you stop going, God is angry), it isn't good to continue an activity that your spirit is rebelling against.

Let me know what you think.

deneb Guest
    Hey Gorillabait,

Core motivations? I guess that I never really sat down and considered my spiritual motivations ... heck, or my motivations for pretty much anything. Well, that thought made signing up for the forum worth it right there.

I have accepted the fact that as long as I live in this area, the church I am going to now will be the church that I go to now. Chuch is much more important to to my wife than it is to me, so that is a concession that I am willing to make.

Another member PM'd me and suggested Unity Christian as a compromise. I found one about 45 mins from here that I might check out sometime.

I am not familar with NEW/Projection, or Astral Projection at all. What are the benefits in my situation?

Blog Entries
    More info on AP: http://www.astraldynamics.com/tutorials/?BoardID=65

Setting aside the idea of astral projection as a valid spiritual practice, think of it as a mine of opportunity for psychological self exploration. Imagine your projecting your consciousness (as opposed to unconscious processes) into an environment your subconscious has objectified for you-The opportunities for self-exploration are endless.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

deneb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler
    More info on AP: http://www.astraldynamics.com/tutorials/?BoardID=65

Setting aside the idea of astral projection as a valid spiritual practice, think of it as a mine of opportunity for psychological self exploration.
    I completely understand - feel the exact same way about Tarot.

gorillabait Guest
    Hi deneb,

There are a lot of benefits to practicing NEW. One is that in clearing up any energy blockages in your body, you will improve your health as well as possibly improve your emotional state. Think of it as exercise for your entire spiritual being.

As well as this, doing energy work is sort of like embarking upon a program of increased potentiation. As you begin raising energy, you will find you start to know yourself better, and are able to locate areas of your life where you are the most stuck. Often these areas seem difficult to change due to loaded conceptions (leaving a job = oh no, no money!), but are worth it for the reason of personal growth, and in the end life allows for itself (new job which works much better for you).

Astral projection isn't for everyone, but it is for the curious at heart. It's like the final frontier, exploring the nature of reality from your own point of view, rather than relying on other's knowledge. The thing to keep in mind with AP is that everything is subjective, because your mind filters the information and presents it to you in a way which makes sense to you. So if you see a circle of twenty monkeys dancing the rhumba around a signpost saying "Welcome to the Astral!", don't go around telling people "Hey man, when you see the twenty monkeys, you'll KNOW you're there!" because they might see fifty rhinos, or a flock of pigeons for all you know.

Meditation is very important too. In addition to energy work and raising being almost like liquid potentiation as I see it, meditation clears a lot of the psychic (as in, pertaining to your psyche) blocks you have. It helps to clear logical knots in your mind, helps you know yourself better, helps you see where you're stuck and what you really believe and who you really are. All these things combined can change a person's life for the better.

Alright, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I hope you've enjoyed reading this, donations are always welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by deneb
    Hey Gorillabait,

Core motivations? I guess that I never really sat down and considered my spiritual motivations ... heck, or my motivations for pretty much anything. Well, that thought made signing up for the forum worth it right there.

I have accepted the fact that as long as I live in this area, the church I am going to now will be the church that I go to now. Chuch is much more important to to my wife than it is to me, so that is a concession that I am willing to make.

Another member PM'd me and suggested Unity Christian as a compromise. I found one about 45 mins from here that I might check out sometime.

I am not familar with NEW/Projection, or Astral Projection at all. What are the benefits in my situation?
    What sort of healing are you seeking? Is it for yourself or for your wife?

Krystal Guest
    I grew up in the deep South going to a Southern Baptist church. I struggled with some unique ideas/restrictions that the mentality was placing on me there. If you would like to discuss any of these ideals, PM me.

It was very hard for me to deal with the guilt and issues that were fostered onto me and that I struggled with internally. It was a long hard struggle for me before I felt that I could explore other ideas and not be condemned for this.

deneb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophroniscus
    I am guessing you are being humorous, because I am laughing. No, my wife is just fine with her chosen spiritual path.
    I don't know if I am looking for a spiritual healing as much as some guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by deneb
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophroniscus
    I am guessing you are being humorous, because I am laughing. No, my wife is just fine with her chosen spiritual path.
    I don't know if I am looking for a spiritual healing as much as some guidance.
    No, there are many who do not want healing. So I asked.

As to guidance, I suggest that you do what you know to be right. If you do that, you will find healing, even though you are not looking for it.