Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A beautiful student

Blog Entries

A beautiful student

Okay, I'm putting this one in because it moved me. It's long...

This letter was given to me by one of my graduating English students. In 19 years of teaching, I've been given some beautiful gifts but nothing beats this kind of letter. It's even better when it comes from a painfully shy person. The media is full of horror stories about rebellious youth and atrocious teachers, I want to balance out that perception here.

This boy speaks English as a second language. He struggled a lot with the course. His average mark last year was about 5 out of 20. This year it was about 12 or 13, a phenomenal achievement. I won't use his name.

I wrote this note to you for the many thankyous I must give to you. I wanted to say this to you at our last English lesson but my shyness was too overwhelming. I would just like to say that you have been a brilliant teacher in the past two years You have guided me from a low-educated student, to one that now knows some kind of understanding of English. In the beginning, I wasn't a very good English student and that affected the way I approached the subject. From the moment you told the class that you don't have to be the world's best student, you just have to try your best and good things will come out of it, and I took those words with both hands. Since then I have tried my best in all the units in the subject, even when I felt low, you've always believed in me. Through this, English is the subject I am doing the best in and is one of my favourite subjects. Just two years ago I wouldn't have believed I could reach as far as I am right now.......
    There are only a few teachers I respect, and one of them is you. To me, I don't just consider you as a teacher but as a friend that has given her time to help not just me but others as well, to fulfill life at its greatest :cry: ......
    I want to give you a quote that I've made up that links to the experiences I have had in English,
    "When day turns into night
    When everything seems isolated and alone,
    Try your best and give it everything you've got
    'Cos, at the end of it all
    It's only you that can make the difference."
    Well, thanks for making my final stages of my school life enjoyable.

It speaks for itself.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Dsmoke Guest
    Awww ...
    *sniffle*

Isn't it nice to know that you made a difference?

Blog Entries
    That's so sweet!

https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Well, that made me cry. It's beautiful that you are such a beautiful teacher, Beekeeper. I can't find a smiley face that is happy enough to represent what I felt after reading that.

xxhealinghandxx Guest
    I like it. I was thinking that The Power of Love section was only for like couple love, thanks for making the lines straight.

Wow you must be a great teacher with students like that. And while I do fairly well in english, this letter reminds me that not everyone does so much and thats why we need teachers that can do that kind of stuff for you.

Blog Entries
    Yes, there's all kinds of love. Jobs that let us express and receive love are a privilege and so are forums that let us express our happiness.
    Williams)

enoch Guest
    sounds like he wants to stuff to you No seriously, sometimes it can be such a thankless job and I can imagine that receiving such a note makes it all worth while. Why can't people do that more often? Why do so many people leave it until the death bed to realise that none of the bad stuff is really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch
    sounds like he wants to stuff to you No seriously, sometimes it can be such a thankless job and I can imagine that receiving such a note makes it all worth while. Why can't people do that more often? Why do so many people leave it until the death bed to realise that none of the bad stuff is really necessary.
    When I'm dying I might be one of the few people to say "I wish I had spent more time at work."

Blog Entries
    When I'm dying I might be one of the few people to say "I wish I had spent more time at work."
    Is this because your job is about love (are you a professional healer?)

Enoch, no, he's very innocent. Besides, it's a co-ed school with much better options. (Believe me, I've got good instincts for this, having begun my teaching career at 22 in an all-male school).

Personally, I think that kids are usually good at saying thanks in lots of ways. It's sometimes embarrassing, though, to do it in front of your peers. Girls will draw hearts on their work and write, "I luv ya, miss" and kids that you help in an e-mail invariably send thanks and often tag on something like, "You're a legend."
    Williams)

Blog Entries
    Evidence,

Two e-mails today:
    Hi Miss,

How are you? Just wanted to let you know I think I went ok in the exams. I
    didn't like the first paper like at all ay. Ah well...I think I went pretty
    alright in the second paper though. I loved the question we got on 'Witness'! I
    didn't talk as much crap as I usually do in exams and I tied it back to the
    question heaps (I just hope I understood the question properly haha!)
    So thanks heaps for everything you've done for me this year. It's really
    appreciated!

Take care and I'll keep in touch =)

Byeee, Nicole -xox-

P.S: Hey, who was it that wrote 'The Road Not Taken'?...haha I DON'T CARE!! Lol
    yay...no more journey =D hahaa toodles!

HeY

Just wana say thanks for the effort you put in for me thru the past 2 yrs..

I no at times i woulda been a little punk in class haha but yeh i wil b honest
    it wasnt my fav subject haha but yeh jst wana say thanks

Oh with the exams im pretty confident i should go well in both.

In the area of study in total i wrote 18 pages, 8 pages for the away section..I
    feel really good about that part and sure i will do well

The modules i am confident wit as well, in total i wrote about 20 pages, 6 for
    dialogue, 6 or 7 for witness i think?? and 8 pages for raw..I cant remember but
    close enough to that many pages.

I finishd all sections besides raw i got half of the conclusion written out..Im
    aiming for at least 70% in both exams, anything under that i will be quite
    disappointed with

Well anyways THANK YOU for the last 2 yrs you were great!!

See ya around

Ben P

Nice kids, hey!
    Williams)