Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A beautiful student

Blog Entries
    Their final results came in today. They did well! Yipee!!
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries
    School swimming carnival today so I've just checked my e-mails. One of my lovely colleagues sent this around:

YOU MIGHT BE A TEACHER IF...

* You want to slap the next person who says "It must be nice to have all
    those holidays!"
    * You can tell it's a full moon without looking outside.
    * When out in public, you feel the urge to talk to strange children and correct their behaviour.
    * You can 'hold on' until after lunchtime playground duty.
    * You can go to the loo, take a phone call, have a conference with a colleague, tend to first aid and have a cup of coffee in 20 minutes.
    * You check for spelling and punctuation errors in every piece of writing you see.
    * You walk around shopping centres wearing face paint, stickers and a daisy chain, and don't even notice the stares.
    * You look 50 before you are 30.
    * You can't pick a name for your unborn child as every name reminds you of a student.
    * When you can't get your friends to listen to you, you put your hands on your head.
    * You rate the educational value of cartoons.
    * You count you life in periods of ten weeks (depending on term length).
    * You can sing all of the words to Advance Australia Fair (even the 2nd verse!)
    * You can't go anywhere without thinking 'what a great place for an excursion!'
    * You cringe at the way bank tellers grip their pens.
    * You don't know the date, but you know it's day 5, week 4, term 4.
    * You believe the staffroom should have a Valium salt lick.
    * You believe 'shallow gene pool' should have its own box on the new reports.
    * You believe that unspeakable evil will befall if someone says "Gee, the kids sure are mellow today."
    * Meeting a child's parents instantly answer 'why is this child like this?'
    * You believe in the aerial spraying of Prozac.
    * You get a warm inner glow when just one childsays "thank you for helping me.

Then I noticed the student I mentioned in this original post had sent a catch up note. It was sweet but it left me worried that he's finding the big world a lonely place. It's hard when you're shy.
    Williams)

Blog Entries
    * You check for spelling and punctuation errors in every piece of writing you see.
    I was a teacher for two years and still do this- to the consternation and annoyance of my fellow mods. Now I have an excuse.
    * You can't pick a name for your unborn child as every name reminds you of a student.
    This explains a lot.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper
    School swimming carnival today so I've just checked my e-mails. One of my lovely colleagues sent this around:

YOU MIGHT BE A TEACHER IF...

* You want to slap the next person who says "It must be nice to have all
    those holidays!"
    * You can tell it's a full moon without looking outside.
    * When out in public, you feel the urge to talk to strange children and correct their behaviour.
    * You can 'hold on' until after lunchtime playground duty.
    * You can go to the loo, take a phone call, have a conference with a colleague, tend to first aid and have a cup of coffee in 20 minutes.
    * You walk around shopping centres wearing face paint, stickers and a daisy chain, and don't even notice the stares.
    * You look 50 before you are 30.
    * When you can't get your friends to listen to you, you put your hands on your head.
    * You rate the educational value of cartoons.
    * You count you life in periods of ten weeks (depending on term length).
    * You can sing all of the words to Advance Australia Fair (even the 2nd verse!)
    * You can't go anywhere without thinking 'what a great place for an excursion!'
    * You cringe at the way bank tellers grip their pens.
    * You don't know the date, but you know it's day 5, week 4, term 4.
    * You believe the staffroom should have a Valium salt lick.
    * You believe 'shallow gene pool' should have its own box on the new reports.
    * You believe that unspeakable evil will befall if someone says "Gee, the kids sure are mellow today."
    * Meeting a child's parents instantly answer 'why is this child like this?'
    * You believe in the aerial spraying of Prozac.
    * You get a warm inner glow when just one childsays "thank you for helping me.

Then I noticed the student I mentioned in this original post had sent a catch up note. It was sweet but it left me worried that he's finding the big world a lonely place. It's hard when you're shy.
    I don't understand the part highlighted in red.
    AKA Silver Firefly — If I had to reincarnate as an animal, I'd choose to come back as a bonobo.

~ Manipulation is a tool that's too often abused.

Blog Entries
    My son's teachers do something else- they 'catch a bubble' (close and inflate your mouth) in preschool, and in elementary they do the peace sign (two fingers)- silence, like magic.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries
    Gemma said,
    I don't understand the part highlighted in red.
    It's a common primary school practice in Australia (I'm a secondary teacher so we don't do this*). You get kids to put their hands on their head and it quietens them. I guess the theory is that they can't do two things at once. I think the catch-a-bubble idea is better since it requires a closed mouth.

CF, I bet it was fun in your classroom! Now if I could only convince you that clowns are good too.

*Having said this, with integration/mainstreaming the way it is, I now find myself with children with mental and emotional ages of 5 and 6 in my classrooms, including two Down Syndrome girls who I'm teaching for a second time this year. They're cute though.
    Williams)

Blog Entries
    Ah, thanks for explaining...

I've never seen anything like this when I went to school (well I finished school about 9 years ago).
    AKA Silver Firefly — If I had to reincarnate as an animal, I'd choose to come back as a bonobo.

~ Manipulation is a tool that's too often abused.