As someone who strongly believes that hypnagogia is the easiest accessible state for anyone wanting to explore or improve their pyschic awareness I've been trying (in vain) for a few months to induce hypnagogia at will.

I started by drawing white entoptic forms (phosphenes) onto pieces of black card and studied them in the daytime. At night I would visualise the entoptics singularly and then combine then in the hope that I might induce hallucinations. David Lewis-Williams's (anthropologist) theory is that entoptics (the natural patterns that appear before closed eyes) combine in stages with recent memories and are responsible for closed-eye visuals. This technique hasn't been a great success so far.

Then I heard that playing the game 'tetris' one hour before bed is 'likely' to induce hypnagogia. I've read about this in a book called 'counting sheep' by (can't remember who it's by) but I haven't tried this yet.
has anyone else tried this????

last night I tried some simple visualisations: holding an apple - tossing it from one hand to the other. Opening a door, standing in a pine forest and inhaling the scent, and visualising shapes of different colours. Something that did impress me was when I opened the door I visualised myself falling out of it and soaring through the air (like an eagle) across a snowy mountain range dotted with log cabins.

This didn't work either!

So, what I'd like to ask is: does anybody have any techniques that they use to induce hypnagogia?