Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hypnagogia

enoch Guest

Hypnagogia

As someone who strongly believes that hypnagogia is the easiest accessible state for anyone wanting to explore or improve their pyschic awareness I've been trying (in vain) for a few months to induce hypnagogia at will.

I started by drawing white entoptic forms (phosphenes) onto pieces of black card and studied them in the daytime. At night I would visualise the entoptics singularly and then combine then in the hope that I might induce hallucinations. David Lewis-Williams's (anthropologist) theory is that entoptics (the natural patterns that appear before closed eyes) combine in stages with recent memories and are responsible for closed-eye visuals. This technique hasn't been a great success so far.

Then I heard that playing the game 'tetris' one hour before bed is 'likely' to induce hypnagogia. I've read about this in a book called 'counting sheep' by (can't remember who it's by) but I haven't tried this yet.
    has anyone else tried this????

last night I tried some simple visualisations: holding an apple - tossing it from one hand to the other. Opening a door, standing in a pine forest and inhaling the scent, and visualising shapes of different colours. Something that did impress me was when I opened the door I visualised myself falling out of it and soaring through the air (like an eagle) across a snowy mountain range dotted with log cabins.

This didn't work either!

So, what I'd like to ask is: does anybody have any techniques that they use to induce hypnagogia?

escogido Guest
    Relaxation-just a light one+concentration(counting from 1,25 to 0,00- repeating til I don't feel my body and visualizing those numbers black in white backround-)+BWGen-Trance preset for 40 minutes helps me to go into that state where there are images flowing but I can't control them-the more I'll go there and 'interact'with them the deeper I will go?.I guess my intention is to control them in time and practice so I could control trance.We're aiming the same goal?

enoch Guest
    Thanks for that. Counting helps but I find it annoys me after a while. I can't use bwgen any longer because I started to get a constant 'rumble' in my ears after using it which caused headaches and nausea. Plus, my doc advised me not to use it.

Now, I'm not sure whether anyone can help with this but I often read conflicting methods for experiencing visuals: some people talk about concentrating on the 'black space before closed eye-lids' and others talk of 'inner' visuals. What do you normally focus on?

Blog Entries
    I try to divide my attention between the blank spot before my eyes and listening to the ear-hiss that is normally always on.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

escogido Guest
    The one that is always buzzing or the one that turns on in some occasions and is very special?I think those buzzes are different.Maybe you've got the second one at all times?
    I don't focus before eyelids but some say it helps-it helped me once when I tried but through the barrier of some 'pain'.For me it's easiest to just see the numbers and count(without inner chatter) again and again til the I reach something.And I'll keep doing it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by escogido
    The one that is always buzzing or the one that turns on in some occasions and is very special?I think those buzzes are different.Maybe you've got the second one at all times?
    I don't focus before eyelids but some say it helps-it helped me once when I tried but through the barrier of some 'pain'.For me it's easiest to just see the numbers and count(without inner chatter) again and again til the I reach something.And I'll keep doing it.
    Good observation. In general the 'usual' hiss, but (if and when) the lower- pitched one comes in I try to focus on it. If anything, it's an exercise in focusing, and if I don't fall asleep it brings up both forms of hypnagogia on fast (visual and auditory).
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

enoch Guest
    Often I am startled by the sudden appearance of an image of a person, or people, or an object, and my mind immediately reaches out to grasp the image, to comprehend it, wondering what it is... and *poof* it vanishes. Then if I return to my observing state of mind, they return. It takes a lot of restraint and is a good exercise for mental willpower to simple observe without reacting.

Excellent description, Alex. I think you hit the old proverbial nail on the head there.

So, can you willfully prevent yourself from reacting to the stimuli? Is it a case of not becoming involved too consciously in what's happening, being passive and observing asif a fly on the wall?

enoch Guest
    I read a paper by Simon J Sherwood, Dept. of Psychology at Edinburgh Uni and he notes that hypnagogia onset is accompanied by reduced eye movements. I wonder whether willfully reducing eye movements during relaxation/thought control may hasten hypnagogics? There may be some visualisation that one could do to achieve this. Or maybe even focussing on one point in the space before the closed eyes. I dunno.

enoch Guest
    Currently experimenting with 'drempels' to see whether it might (as in the tetris example) induce hypnagogics.

http://www.geisswerks.com/drempels/

enoch Guest
    I've produced a 30 minute track with relaxing music accompanied by a bwgen preset at 8-12hz (ideal for hypnagogic state).

sample can be downloaded here. The original file is 300mb so if there's enough interest I could upload it in future.

File.sc - bwgen-hypnagogic-induction-sample

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast