Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Plato's riddle of Non-being

enoch Guest
    Anyone hear about those primitive tribes who worship John Brum? He was a traveller who appeared on the island with a cargo. he went again and ever since they've been contemplating the return of the messiah, john brum. They have churches devoted to him and they do rituals that they reckon will bring cargo like his.

Weird. makes you wonder

Quote Originally Posted by star
    I find it hard to believe "This is the one and only way and evrything this says is right" Religions

So everyone in the Amazon who hasen't ever heard of your religion is now burning in some hellish pit for sins they never knew of, or didn't realize they were commiting, becuase they don't worship your god?

But he loves you so very much, and thats why he is sending you into oblivion!

Of course some people would say they hold historical fact to back up everything. Poppycoc!
    I agree! I've had problems with this too. Oh, but at least one major religion has an 'out' for this little problem - the messiah won't return until EVERYONE on Earth has heard the good news of him and has been offered the choice to accept him or not, lol. Soooo literal people!!

Ever play "Telephone?" information changes from person to person, not to mention thousands of years of politics..
    Excellent point and I agree with this too! I think of it in terms that info that comes in is altered a bit by the person's belief system and level of understanding, then is passed along in it's altered form. After passing through these filters, it is often not exactly the same as it was originally. Pass this info through thousands of folks' filters, and, most often it is so changed as to bear little resemblance to the original message.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch
    Anyone hear about those primitive tribes who worship John Brum? He was a traveller who appeared on the island with a cargo. he went again and ever since they've been contemplating the return of the messiah, john brum. They have churches devoted to him and they do rituals that they reckon will bring cargo like his.

Weird. makes you wonder
    My ex-boyfriend used to use a similar example - that airplanes appeared as great bird gods to more primitive folk.

On a side note - interesting you mention "Cargo". I just watched an episode of Nat'l Geographic's "Guns, Germs & Steel" last night, a documentary that discusses the disparity in global human developement. This really interesting scientist was asked by a native New Guinean "How come white men have so much Cargo and us New Guineans don't". This prompted him to try to find an answer to his friend's question. There were clips where the natives revered this cargo so much, as to even wear pieces of cereal boxes as decorative head dresses. Interesting stuff. Great documentary if anyone is interested.

enoch Guest

enoch Guest
    have a cuppa tea

have another one

have a cuppa tea

enoch Guest
    It's a bit unnerving to think that they look out to sea and sky for their gods (western man in boats and planes) but we looked up to the sky in ancient times when there were no such flying craft

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Theres a great article on wikipedia about cargo cults, something I found fascinating. Some build replica runways and airplanes in homage to their gods, believing it will bring more cargo !

That's interesting. I wonder what advanced beings think of us and our silly superstitions and beliefs. I mean, just like lesser developed civilizations make up these grand ideas about what is common place to us, how much are we doing the same thing about beings/stuff more advanced than us?

Blog Entries
    Hey, look what my twelve year old found on you-tube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL7FcvEydqg
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper
    I knew it! I knew that the flying spaghetti monster really exists! Take this, flying teacup of little leprechauns! (or where they gnomes?)
    All hail the flying spaghetti monster!
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper
    I knew it! I knew that the flying spaghetti monster really exists! Take this, flying teacup of little leprechauns! (or where they gnomes?)
    All hail the flying spaghetti monster!
    PIXIES, CF, PIXIES!!! *storms off*

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3