From my experience, it isn't very difficult to raise the kundalini, any breathing meditation (or certain prayer) would stir it up, and the more you practice the more it will stir and raise throughout different points.

One theory suggests that spontaneous combustion is a result of accidently triggering the kundalini. While some have gone insane, or uncomfortable amounts of heat, or uncomfortable tickles are produced. The real question is, what would you hope to obtain from it?

Is it to experience it, develop your consciousness, or connect with God?

Personally, I believe that these experiences are very addictive, and you can find yourself spending more time doing it and emerging yourself into that world instead of the waken world.

When I would meditate allot, I awoke a few things, one of which was the kundalini and the chakras, another astral traveling, another was awareness of peoples thoughts and feelings, seeing into the future, and even to some extent mental powers to make people do things unconsciously, but I realized that none of it was leading to spiritual development, I was in search of truth, to make my life purposeful and to help make the world a better place, and although the astral was great for connecting with others living or dead, aliens or thought forms, overcome fears, taught mediations and how to pray, I learned to integrated the universe into my waken world and serve my life purpose.

The greatest truth I learned was God, listening, being honest and praying with sincerity to make myself and the world a better place. Leaving the experiences to come to me, instead of manifesting them, which only serve as experiences.