Thread: Energetic Analogies

Renbu Guest

Energetic Analogies

How do the yin and yang energies of Taoism relate to the electric and magnetic fluids of Hermetics? From what I have read about these energies it sounds like yin=magnetic and yang=electric.

What has me confused is that in Initiation into Hermetics Bardon writes that the electric fluid always governs the dominant side of the body and the magnetic fluid controls the less dominant side. In Taoism Yin is always the right side and yang is always the left. No exceptions.[/quote]

Nnonnth Guest
    Hey is that true? -

In Taoism Yin is always the right side and yang is always the left. No exceptions
    That's very interesting. In my practice I have observed that this way round makes sense.

I always thought that everyone was different on this. But what I do think is that if you look at Bardon's practice it is very yang. Whereas with some taoist practices they emphasize yin alot more. Bardon is all about going out and seeking, taoism (some anyway, like Frantzis) is about sitting still and allowing. So may the practices themselves encourage this or that view of where the basic energies dominate.

Because for sure, electric=yang and magnetic=yin! Can't be any question about that!

From where did you get your info re yang on left? - a book? Experience? etc..

Best NN

Renbu Guest
    I originally heard this in acupressure/tcm theory dvds authored by a retired acupuncturist named Tao Tan. I went to him when he was still practicing and he was very skilled. He completely healed my back pain of three years in just a few five minute sessions. He doesn't need to leave the needles in for very long because he can stimulate meridians with his energy. The needles are just conduits for him. So anyway, I'm sure the info's legit.

Also, in my "gung fu" and tai-chi classes we bow with the left hand covering the right, which is to symbolize yang protecting yin. Furthermore, the men wear their sashes to the left and the women to the right. I can also feel an energetic difference between the two regions.

Blog Entries
    I guess feeling a difference between the body halves is normal. But I don't know whether it is evenly distributed according to a rule that can be relate Yin/Yang with left/right.

Some believe so - my T'ai Chi teacher believes that in abdominal breathing the left hand should rest on the navel for men, and the right for women. Yet I do not really consider him an authority on TCM or Taoism.

If I look at the actual T'ai Chi practise both sides can express Yin and Yang evenly in the body, T'ai Chi knows no preference for one. The flow of Yin and Yang in all parts of the body during T'ai Chi does not seem to care about left/right, but about extending/shrinking, opening/closing and rising/falling.

Maybe I just misunderstood your context?

Nnonnth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Renbu
    So anyway, I'm sure the info's legit.
    That's very interesting, very!

Personally I feel it is to do with the differences in practice style. A short version would be that Bardon's leads with fire and tao tends to lead with water. That is, in Bardon's practice (like Robert's) you tend to go up, up, up and away, further and further out, until you reach the top/end/greatest thing. Whereas with tao you bring things in, and go in, and go further and further in, until you reach the heart. Of course the innermost and outermost are at the final thing the same. But the approach in either case dictates something about where basic directions lead. That would be my guess...

Best NN