Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Journeys Out Of The Body - Robert Monroe

muzza Guest

Journeys Out Of The Body - Robert Monroe

I have just finished reading this and thought it was quite an interesting work. There are some helpful ideas as to his techniques for getting out of the body in there but for me the most interesting part were his descriptions of his experiences.

He also puts down an interesting theory as to what we as humans are and how 'energy' relates to this.

All in all a great read and definitely a book worth owning!

Has anyone else read this? What were your thoughts?

Monroe

I know he's supposed to be the Grand Master of Astral Travel, and have read one of his books, but honestly-I wasn't all that thrilled with it.

It seems to me that too many writers try to interpret what happens when you leave your body, as opposed to just reporting objective facts and suggested techniques. Then again, maybe it's not possible to be objective once you've had those experiences; I don't know. I've probably read (minimum) 25 books on the topic, and they all seem to have their own take on what is happening. Now, that's not a bad thing, of course--it's their desire to tell the truth as they see it. One writer, who had a near death experience, focused on angels and things like that. Another was more into the potential reincarnation aspect of the experience. Another writer says to never, ever, ever try to have an OBE when limbs are crossed; another says that it's OK, not to worry about it. One says that nothing bad can happen to you out of body, and yet another writes that there are serious dangers to look out for. It makes it difficult to know what to believe until you've done it yourself; and after reading some of that stuff I questioned if I really wanted to try it.

I only recently read anything by Monroe, and I admit that it is a fascinating read; better than many of the others that I read. What I do like about Monroe is that his style seems forthright and not too tangled up with trying to interpret it to conform to a particular religion or system of beliefs. But I admit that something about his style leaves me cold. Perhaps I'm being to critical...but after having read one book, I'm not particularly interested in reading more. Also, after visiting the Monroe Institute website, I was disheartened that it seemed that their purpose is more to make a buck selling merchandise than to help others achieve their OBE goals. Not that I object to anyone making money from the work they've done---I quite intend to get my own copy of Astral Dynamics (I checked it out from the library, but want my own copy), and if Mr. Bruce ever comes anywhere near my neck of the woods I will most definitely pay to participate in any workshops he has to offer.

The difference is that Monroe seems more....mercenary. And while some of his experiences were definitely interesting, I didn't feel that I learned a whole lot from them.

It could be that I'm off base and should try reading more of his work; perhaps it will change my mind. Once I have succeeded in conscious OBEs I'll have a better understanding, I'm sure, of what they are all about, and perhaps Monroe's writings will become more pertinent to me.

I just hope I am successful soon so I can give a real critique, based on my own experiences (as opposed to my expectations!)

muzza Guest
    Hi Daisy,

Yes Monroe is quite a 'cold' author. He comes across as very scientific, logical and straight to the point and that definitely gives the impression of cold.

I haven't looked at the Monroe Institute so can't comment on the chasing the buck statement. I wanted to read his book more out of curiosity and diversification than anything else. To truely understand a subject you must read and experience as much of it as you can IMHO.

So what other books have you read that you enjoyed?

Cheers,

Muzza

Hi Muzza-

Hmmm...books on the topic that I have enjoyed. Well, obviously, I think Astral Dynamics is the absolute best book on OBE that I've read. But aside from that, there are a couple of others.

One is called The Study and Practice of Astral Projection by Robert Crookall. I don't agree with some of his theory on AP, but what I do like very much is that it is packed full of case studies. I particularly like that many of these case studies go back many, many years. I find it interesting to read such histories; reading other peoples' experiences and noting the similarities and differences are fascinating to me. He is another "cold" author, I admit, which again turns me off a bit, but again, the stories are quite good. He also states that people should not attempt OBE; that if it happens it should only be spontaneous, which I (obviously) don't agree with. However, regardless of that, I think it's a book worth reading.

Another writer that I've read a couple of books by is Michael Newton. He is a hypnotherapist who claims the ability to regress people to past lives and even to the in-between period between lives. His books, again, are overwrought with his theories, some of which make sense to me and some which don't. So, I read his books with a critical eye, but I-again-enjoyed reading the case histories and trying to glean the similarities and differences between the cases.

I have another book, which unfortunately I can't lay my hands on right now (it's somewhere in my mountain of books!!! Word of advice: two book lovers should never marry, unless they enjoy having a cluttered house! ) I'll try to find and will post about it later; what I can tell you is that it's a very short, straightforward "how to" sort of book, much of which agrees with what I've read in AD, coincidentally. I probably bought it twenty years ago, so it's likely out of print, but maybe not. I'll post about it as soon as I find it.

Can you recommend other books that might be of interest?

Daisy

Joggerman Guest

Best Book on the subject

I have read many books on the subject of projection and OBEs, but the absolute best of these is by Robert Buhlman called Adventures Beyond the Body.
    It is a superb book which not only gives his experiences, but excellent guidance on techniques for obtaining and OBE etc. plus much more.

Thanks for the tip! I checked and found that my library doesn't have it, so I went ahead & ordered a copy from Amazon (fortunately it wasn't very expensive). I'll post later, after I've received it & let you know what I think. In the meantime, if you come up with any other interesting titles, do please share!

Have a good one...

Daisy

Joggerman Guest
    Hi Daisy,
    I hope you enjoy the Robert Buhlman book as much as I have.
    I first bought Robert Monroe's book around 1990 which was my first book.
    During the early 1970's I was able to conciously project with ease without any elaborate techniques, but these days I find it difficult and have to really work for my OBEs.
    I also believe that many authors become over involved in theorizing about the higher zones and more esoteric areas associated with projection. I am also sceptical regarding their claimed experiences of such zones!
    As far as I can tell, all my projections have been into the real-time-zone as it is often called. I remain to be convinced of the existance of other zones.

Regards
    Joggerman (UK)

Hi Joggerman-

Well, the Buhlman book arrived a few days ago, and I've read probably 2/3 of it now. It is a good read overall. In particular, I enjoyed the rather lengthy section devoted to physics and his theories regarding the scientific basis of OBE. That's an unusual thing to see in such a book. I liked that very much; it got me thinking about it in a different light.

I agree with you re: the theories put forth by some of the writers---some can get rather out there. On the other hand, I appreciate that they are trying to convey what they think is going on. By reading a number of books on the topic, it's interesting to see what similarities and differences exist across the board.

I am finding it difficult to successfully project right now, and hope that AD and the Buhlman book can help me out. I truly think my problem is stress and that I just can't relax enough to get into a proper state for projection. My husband is having surgery later this week, and I'm hoping that once he gets through that OK, that I'll be popping out and exploring the real-time zone (like you, I tend to agree that we'll be visiting the real thing, not a duplicate that exists in another zone).

Anyway, thanks again for the recommendation. If you can think of any other books that you found particularly interesting, please share! I'm always on the lookout for something good to read!

Daisy

Quantitativefool Guest
    I think I will order that book and see what it's like, it sounds good overall.

-Stu

Chris Guest
    Daisy, have you only read the first of Monroes books, or have you read all three now?
    If you haven't read them all yet, I really advise you too. It's absolutely facinating how his perception of the OBE state changes from the first to the last (over 30 years or so of projection?). 'Ultimate Journey' is near enough as mystical as any book comes - but it's not based on any current mystical system. If you do get round to reading it, you will see what I mean. It perhaps indicates how the ability to project at will, and the experiences gained there-from can change a person over time.