I really cannot say.

About health and fitness - usually a fit body is less blocked than a less fit one. But that does not necessarily mean muscle. Rather the absence of disease and the presence of wellbeing are more important. Exercise can provide a lot of "raw" energy, many external martial arts rely in their energy work on that.

Energy work calls for a quality called proprioception - the ability to feel within oneself. Internal martial arts like Taiji Quan (Tai Chi Chuan) can build that, as can Qigong, and a myriad of other exercises, including NEW energy work. Body awareness is usually less in a stressed-out person and best in a relaxed person. Energy work can help in gradually make the transition from stressed-out to relaxed.

What I said about "optimal grip" is what is behind this - the internal martial artists of China are not the exact opposites of the external ones, but very much. See a Karateka - he will tense up to the fullest at the end of a strike, and make a piercing battle cry. Everything is maximum tension and aggression. A Taiji fighter will concentrate on being not where his opponent hits, hit where not expected, evade when attacked, and apply an amount of force on attack that still allows changing course of action if required. And does not tense up. In the end this produces fighters that are on average faster and of better health than their Karate equivalents, though training can be extremely intensive in time and is surely not less hard work, rather more.

Proprioception develops slowly if you have never trained it before. In Taijiquan it is part of balance - very often the fighter has all its weight on one leg while shifting. Feeling inside yourself, rediscovering your body is a very slow process that takes months to years. Experienced practitioners can for example feel their state of their liver and manipulate that, so you see a lot is possible, but we all start small.

It is not unusual to feel little in the beginning, but consistent practise should increase this over time. As a sportsman you might actually have less blockages than others and actually feel less because a healthy body produces less strong sensations. But over time sensations will become more pronounced. Energy work makes your mind into a magnifying lens, and the more you develop it the more you will discover, I am sure of that.

Oliver