Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Book - The Power of Now

Flash_hound Guest
    I'm reading a book right now "Quiet Your Mind" and I highly suggest you read it as a follow up to this book. He says the same things but not nearly as esoteric .

Pneumaphor Guest
    I've read the book and I can vouche for it. The masterful technique of the book is that reading it induces the interested reader into the state of mind he's talking about, like a Shakespeare work. The resulting effect is somewhat short lived but considering the format, it's an amazing achievement. It is worthy of merit because it is that fresh boost at just the right time for so many people that "already know that." I was mysteriously drawn to the book as well, as soon as I entered the store! Very mysterious feeling, it was. (hehe)

dslandolfe Guest

alwayson4 Guest
    I had a full blown enlightenment experience this past summer, in which I became self-realized. Absolutely nothing existed (except for the Self which was me all this time!). And nothing in the universe happened for four days. I actually had to force myself to reincarnate back into my old self so to speak. I can vouch for the accuracy of this book in that the understanding is 100% spot on. I just went super-deep into the Now so to speak and stayed there for "four days".

The experience is so sacred, that this is the first time I am talking about it, except to my dad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash_hound
    I'm reading a book right now "Quiet Your Mind" and I highly suggest you read it as a follow up to this book. He says the same things but not nearly as esoteric .
    I started reading this great book by John Selby, and I can only second your judgement. I have a much better feeling about reading it. The author seems well-informed, pragmatic, modest and genuinely spiritual. I intend to read more of his works afterwards.

Thanks for the recommendation, I am very glad I followed it.

Oliver

alwayson4 Guest
    Instead of reading books, just shoot for the enlightenment experience itself.

The best method is the Awareness watching Awareness method, which is essentially outlined in the Power of NOW, in different terms.

I can tell you from experience that the state you are all seeking is already FULLY DEVELOPED inside of you.

You just need to think differently.

Once you have seen this state, you dont need any books, the state itself becomes the teacher. And this state has nothing to do with information or the accumulation of knowledge. It has to with the opposite, the cessation of thinking by being intently focused on what you are doing at all times.

Flash_hound Guest
    In retrospect I think eckhart tolle is somewhat egotistical and in that sense isn't a very good teacher. I feel like he has a good message but he isn't the person to present it in the way he is presenting it. He almost seems like an eyewitness to a terrible crime in the sense that he doesn't fully understand what has happened, he was just there, experiencing it. It's a nice first step to stuff, but it's not very practical and very esoteric.

I guess my opinion has changed since the beginning of this thread...

@Korpo

I am glad you liked the book, my grandma stole my copy (well I gave it to her since she needs it more than I do) but I plan to get another copy soon... I really love how he describes the brain and how the different parts interact, he is a very intelligent and I get the vibe, kind, person.

He doesn't seem to have an agenda. If you know what I mean.

alwayson4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash_hound
    In retrospect I think eckhart tolle is somewhat egotistical and in that sense isn't a very good teacher. I feel like he has a good message but he isn't the person to present it in the way he is presenting it. He almost seems like an eyewitness to a terrible crime in the sense that he doesn't fully understand what has happened, he was just there, experiencing it. It's a nice first step to stuff, but it's not very practical and very esoteric.
    Honestly, you are only interpreting this through YOUR OWN EGO, if you think he is egotistical. People see the world in terms of their own ego's.

This is exactly why people cannot find the state I am talking about, their ego interferes.

I can tell you from independent verification, he is absolutely right in everything he says. And you may think I am egotistical for saying that, but truth is truth.

When I was in the nondual state, I experienced life changing joy of noself. I saw through the maya of the world and how it operated. It was exactly as the ancient texts describe. It was more actually. I realized the mercy of life, in that there is only one life, with people deluded into thinking they are separate entities. I also knew for certain that my enlightenment experience was correct, because logically there was absolutley no other way for enlightenment to be.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I KNEW EXACTLY WHY NOONE FINDS THIS STATE!!!
    It is VERY tricky lol....

If you want a description of how it is like to take the nondual a little more extreme, I would recommend "Silence of the Heart." But I would suggest that self-inquiry as recommended by this book is not the best path towards self-realization. However, I know exactly why Ramana and Robert Adams recommended that approach, because I know where they are coming from

Once you have experienced the nondual, it is easier and easier to get to.

alwayson4 Guest
    The "Power of NOW" was written for the mass audience. If you want to experience the hardcore nondual, just take his techniques and go a little more extreme with them...

Flash_hound Guest
    Isn't your judgment of my egotism about his egotism a representation of your ego as well? And isn't that in itself sort of a cop out ? I am not saying that he is writing crap that isn't true, I just feel like the way it comes across he doesn't' seem modest to me, he seems like he is saying, "This is the only way!! Do as I do!!!" and I feel like he makes it somewhat dogmatic. That being said I enjoyed what he had to say I am just saying he came across not as someone who was genuinely trying to enlighten people but as someone who was trying to force an idea down your throat. I didn't like how he said to a few things, "You will know when you get there."

He said good things, he made great points, I just feel that in some senses he is somewhat egotistical and I don't like that. Maybe I am wrong, but that is just the sense I got, I have no issue re-reading and seeing if I am wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast