Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Animal Totems

Re: Animal Totems

That is a good story, Beekeeper!

Crow family are very social, and can make interesting, very interactive pets!

Of all the crows, the Magpie always seems the busiest (greater opportunist) and therefore more elusive to spend some time with. A month or so ago I spent a day following a pair around in the wild, so as to gain insight from their activities, and to see if one would interact or leave me a token. One did observe me in kind, and speak to me in his own language, one did show me how to find a shed flight feather, aka destiny feather, so I felt blessed!

Higher Self told me that "crow medicine" was the doorway to alternate realms and understanding psychic abilities. I do relate to Magpie, as far as navigating the polarities of dark and light, living in the earthly realm, dabbling in the others .. and finding the balance within myself. My guide has told me to concentrate more on the whole family of crow to learn about the Third Realm (astral), and so I was meditating on this before I even read any materials by Robert Bruce! I found some of his experiences to be eerily familiar, but admit I have been blocked from my own experiences for some time. It has to do with FEAR of course. But I am less afraid since becoming aware of Higher Self a few months ago. Fear is not a hallmark of the Magpie, who has been known to harass even the mighty Eagle out of a meal!

Magpie seems so self-possessed, not so full of tricks as a Raven or Crow, or playing the fool as they often do, and are definitely a bird about their own business, very confident. I have a lot to learn from Magpie!

As far as Crow and Raven, I have fascination and respect, but the darkness in them intimidates me and I suppose that is the challenge -- facing the fear of darkness within myself, conquering it.
    Last edited by imogen; 17th December 2011 at 10:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Today as we walked the dog, we heard an unusual bird cry. This lead to a discussion on the expressiveness of birds and some joyful imitation. My eldest son did such a perfect crow imitation, pointing out how the last caw often sounds disappointed. It made me laugh because I hadn't thought of it that way.

Before we left our old house, while we were renovating this one, we had a satin bowerbird build his nest. He stayed a couple of years and was gone shortly after we left (I suspected the real estate agent had kicked his nest away because it was messy but, apparently, they often abandon nests). Anyway, its presence is supposed to signify a period of acquisitiveness, which it clearly was. Plenty of females around at present, stealing stawberries and discarded tomatoes, so we might get lucky and have another male move in.

http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/...chus-violaceus
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

In my region crows imitate everything ... especiallly eagles or a domestic cat meow! But that is an interesting observation on their normal call. Today, I had single magpie, crow and raven waiting for me out side, but went to the beach in time for whole congregation of magpie pairs, and one eagle overseeing them all. My husband even remarked on it, the sight was astounding, since magpie rarely travel in flocks like the other crow.

Blog Entries

I read once that the more submissive males that don't get a mate travel in flocks.

We get sea eagles and osprey around here too. Love them. Just love birds in general.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

5. Re: Animal Totems

Not to be picky, but "totem" is the wrong term being used here. Totems are energies that work with groups. I wrote a little article about this a while back: Differences Between Totems, Animal Spirit Guides And Power Animals

As someone mentioned, Ted Andrew has great books on this subject. Another great resource to connect with your Animal Guide is in Steven Farmer's Power Animals. Although a simple book, it comes with a cd (or a code to download mp3s if you get the e-book) where he induces a trance with drums along with a guided meditation where he leads you to the lower world (in regards to the shamanic tree of life axis mundi) where you meet your Animal Guide. The first time I tried this I had fantastic results and met my ally Barn Owl, who seems to be my right hand animal spirit, so to speak. The next day I kept seeing owl pictures, statues, symbols, etc EVERYWHERE in a form of synchronistic validation. Barn Owl even made an appearance once when I had an OBE and took me on an adventure, in this state she "talked" to me and everything. It was neat to be with "someone" while out of body, even though this only occurred once. Since using the meditation, I've found it much easier to slip into trance and to enter into those lower "inner worlds" that shamans talk about and have found myself there in a few astral projections (which usually involve me falling back into my body but past it and down...instead of using the tree method Dr. Farmer gives).

Anyways I hope this helps some people. <3
    “Warriors of light are not perfect.Their beauty lies in accepting this fact and still desiring to grow and to learn.”
    ― Paulo Coehlo

Blog Entries

Well, it's what Lin called them in the original reference- Maybe animal helpers would be more correct. Anyway, the latest one that appeared to me (and has appeared to stay on my right side) is the lion. The crow overhead, and the lion on the right.
    AD Pedia:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/sho...abetical-Order
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php

"Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

some of this is off topic, but perhaps an interesting tale? 5 years or so ago I had an eventful summer solstice. some of us gathered at the point. at the time I was still very much into ego disillusion. I was wondering what would happen if ego were to cease to exist. this little girl her name is Pearl, she comes up to me and puts dirt on my head. "Pearl that's not nice, don't do that!" her parents say. "No, its ok, let her," I say. I knew she was grounding me. Then she covers my eyes. "What do you see?" she says. I see visions of all those ancient cities that were mysteriously and suddenly abandoned. The answer to my earlier query? Anyways that's the off topic part. She later named off what animal everyone is. Lion, snake, turtle, I got cow (aww why not something cool pearl?). Then I watched 4 hours of magnificent twilight and saw Venus. A little research in dream symbols revealed cow was a perfect description of me.

I've befriended a golden eagle in dreams multiple times, sensing an energetic friendship. Ive never seen a golden eagle IRL, we get thousands of bald eagles a year.

I've experienced intense things with crows. They once attacked me in pure hatred, and once helped me out of joy and love, and I help them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4