Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-WARNING-SPOILERS

Blog Entries

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-WARNING-SPOILERS

This morning I thought about the Potter world some more after reading the beginning of the conversation between the Muggle Prime Minister and the Minister of Magic in "The Half-Blood Prince". I thought about what Muggles and the magic people represent.

When I look at the last book it seems to me that Muggles are non-psychic people. While wizards and witches represent the psychically gifted, they don't seem to represent the spiritually grown-ups. Their choices do not seem better informed or better than anyone else's. In fact, Voldemort is representing the worst of this - the use of powers for advancing nothing but one's own goals.

I already mentioned that the conflict between soul and mind is played out between Harry and the Dark Lord. The people that ultimately make the difference, who stand by Harry, who fight the battle of Hogwarts, are those who stand by their principles, by what they feel is right, who show courage, who put love first. Instead of making up a famous last stand at the end (like let's say happens on several occasions in Lord of the Rings) Rowling choses to reinforce the defendants with their loved ones and thus they become an overwhelming force. Courage spreads. The shining example attracts others.

None of the youthful protagonists are great magicians in their own right. Rowling portrays all the boneheaded beginner mistakes Harry and his friends make. The world isn't saved by the power one cultivates but by courage, principles and staying true to oneself. Harry even goes to sacrifice himself to save everyone.

Often during the series it is portrayed how magic adds wonder to Harry's world. And often also burden and responsibility. This is a very interesting view to take on psychic powers, and certainly a valid one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korpo View Post
    Rowling choses to reinforce the defendants with their loved ones and thus they become an overwhelming force. Courage spreads. The shining example attracts others.
    This is so beautifully said…
    Harry needed his friends to defeat Voldemort; he would have never defeated him without their help and support. The author really seems to choose to picture that it was not his fight alone, and that there was not only one hero, but actually many...

Both your posts are very insightful by the way

Blog Entries

Often during the series it is portrayed how magic adds wonder to Harry's world. And often also burden and responsibility. This is a very interesting view to take on psychic powers, and certainly a valid one.
    I agree, which is why I often worry at the free dissemination of certain principles- part of me is glad it's out there to empower people and another part of me worries if this may not be for the good of all.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries

It seems to me that a technique is only as effective as the capacity of a person allows. So I think it's the person and the personality who determine the outcome, not so much the technique. I don't think one can protect anyone from what they are, which is reflected in their desires, beliefs, thoughts and actions. And techniques or not someone desiring to will always find a way to shoot him- or herself in the foot. There simply is no cure for the lack of commonsense nor an ultimate protection against it.

In this sense there is no safe technique either. You can even pursue meditation to your detriment. Again - to me - it would not so much be the meditation itself doing the harm, but the obsessive-compulsive use thereof.

Actually I also disagree with Rowling's portrayal of magic. With her it seems like nothing but a knack or skill you acquire, almost as ready-made as technology. I miss the mystery of it in her writings. The best of fantasy writing and also the best of sci-fi has a sense of not-understood mystery, not-resolved secrets and questions left open, IMO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3