Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: full vs half lotus

starlight Guest

full vs half lotus

It's my first week to stretch my legs in a full lotus position for meditation (ouch)
    It's difficult, just like any other sport for a beginner. I'm doing it gradually, 15-30 min/day. I'm just curious if is more beneficial to meditate in a full vs. half lotus position? (besides getting more flexible =)
    Thanks

Wyldrose Guest
    Dear Starlight,

The only pre-req for meditation is a straight spine. The cross of the legs or hands only changes the way Prana (energy) moves within the energetic body. It is far more important to be comfortable. Otherwise the mind is so distracted with the discomfort of the physical body, you may as well try meditating in a room of crying kids.

Legs straight, crossed, in a chair, on the floor; it's all good.

If you want to practice your lotus, let your body be your guide as to how long you should hold. Remb, in the practice of Yoga, the philosophy 'No Pain, No Gain' does NOT apply!

Shanti (peace)

~ Wyldrose

starlight Guest
    Thank you Wyldrose,
    I'd much rather meditate lying in bed but it usually puts me to sleep lol. The discomfort is the first few minutes and after with the full lotus position for now. Since I'm a beginner and working to project through meditation, I was wondering if the position would somehow affect/support in the process. I don't want to believe in the 'no pain no gain' concept on but did felt like it the first time sitting in the full lotus position
    So, wanted to seek other opinions
    Thank you

Blog Entries
    Read this recently. Seemed appropriate to your question.

http://luthar.com/2006/12/
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries
    I can't sit in any lotus or half lotus position. I have a knee injury that simply will not allow it, plus my thighs are too fat.

I meditate sitting up in a chair. In fact, it's my office chair, which provides good back support and is comfortable enough to sit in for hours at a time (not that I meditate for hours at a time, of course).

I can't meditate in bed. I invariably fall asleep!

I can sometimes meditate sitting up in a recliner, but sometimes I fall asleep there, too. So, mostly I just sit here in my desk chair and put on the headphones (I like ambient music or sound loops), and off I go.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries
    When I'm not tired, I can meditate lying down.

Else I either sit with a straight spine or stand in a position.

Good postural alignment will enhance Qi flow by quite a bit and help identify places where we are put out of alignment by our bad posture habits and/or our blocks (we avoid pain so much we change posture and go out of alignment).

I don"t think the Lotus seat variations are that important - they may only be more traditional to cultures used to sitting like that. While some say these postures avoid losing energies from exercises like Small Circulation via the legs, others say this blocks vital grounding flows of Earth energy.

Personally I find sitting on a chair with a straight back is a good compromise - avoid falling asleep, no weird stretches people are not used to, comfortable enough to relax. At least IMO.

Take good care,
    Oliver

Wyldrose Guest
    Haha! Lying down is viable meditation posture, however as some of you have pointed out you inevitably fall asleep. Which of course defeats the point of meditation. Savasana (corpse pose - lying down) is one of the most important yoga asanas (poses), it allows the body to assimilate all the energy that was raised and created during the asana (poses) practice.

The purpose of Yoga is to be able to sit comfortably in sitting mediation (traditionally lotus, but as noted NOT required) for a extended periods of time. So jumping right into one of the more difficult postures, may be detrimental, and I advise caution. In fact I would almost red flag this.

Find a place to sit quietly, find the breath... thats it. (well technically speaking away)

On the subject of Yoga, allow me to digress a moment. You don't need to be skinny, or flexible or in perfect health to practice Yoga. Only present.

I'm running a workshop on mediation this month, I'll make a few posts as I go, or link to my blog for some workshop and action items.

Be Well

~Wyldrose

starlight Guest
    Thank you all for the replies. I know this question may sound silly to some of you =)
    If the position is just traditional, it makes sense
    Thanks again.

Re: full vs half lotus

Quote Originally Posted by starlight
    It's my first week to stretch my legs in a full lotus position for meditation (ouch)
    It's difficult, just like any other sport for a beginner. I'm doing it gradually, 15-30 min/day. I'm just curious if is more beneficial to meditate in a full vs. half lotus position? (besides getting more flexible =)
    Thanks
    Personally I dislike the full lotus .It is very uncomfortable for many people .

* The advantage of the lotus is that the male kanda at the perineum has contact with the floor . If one is in full lotus then both of the lower legs might have similar flow of energy from this advantage . But if one is uncomfortable ,then meditation especially trance is difficult .
    * Kneeling is better to open the lower legs .
    * The Monk pose is better for opening the forearms .
    * The fetal pose opens one side of the forearms and lower legs which are called the Steles of Seth.
    * The throne pose opens the feet and the legs .

I feel it is best to vary the pose . As long as the spine is straight and the position is comfortable , its all good .
    ~*~Love , Light & Laughter ~*~

star Guest
    It seems that the lotus positions hurt the legs and blood circulation so I decided against using those. What helps me is propping up my head just while sitting straight. so When I relax I don't fall over.