Thread: Help solving a message in a dream

Sleeping Cookie Guest

Help solving a message in a dream

Explanation: Somehow I've managed to replace Cookie's original post with my reply. Sorry Cookie. Consequently, her introduction has been lost. Essentially she was inviting us to interpret her dream which she feels has an important message for her.

I owe you one, Cooks!

Beekeeper

My husband and my brother are looking all over the house (which is on the beach for some reason) for my dad (who's not living with us in Israel btw), and we can't find him.

My husband and my brother are telling me that they found on the beach his shirt and they also think his pants, so they are worried and they want to issue a search team. I'm starting to think whether I should join them, cause I have to work the next day and have to wake up at 05:30 in the morning, so if we'll be looking for hium all night I will have to take a day off or come late to work, which can be problematic cause it's supposed to be quite a hectic working day. Anyway, I decide eventually that I should come with them and ask them to wait till I change to appropriate shoes.

While I'm coming back to the house I find a tissue paper bag and something drwas my attention to it, like asking to look in it. I open the tissue paper bag and there's a note from my dad saying "run, swin if you have to, but call the cops cause some guys are coming and I don't know what they'll do to me". I'm stunned. I try to call my husband on the cell phone but can't find his name or number in my cell phone, not even in the last calls made. I eventually dial the number but am not able to reach him. Eventually he answers and I tell him what I found.

Meanwhile, somebody from work is coming with her husband. I tell them the story. The husband takes the note and tears a bit of it. I take the note back and check if it's still readable and make sure he didn't tear anything important that was written there. I see that not, but that because my hand was a bit wet, some words are not readable. I sit down on the sand and cry, feeling a lot of guilt.

I would very much appreciate your comments cause I have a feeling there was some kind of message there with the note. I called my dad btw on that morning and everything was ok.

Blog Entries
    Hey, Cookie

With all dream analysis, the best person to analyse the dream is usually the dreamer because she/he understands the significance of the various aspects. Usually, you can eliminate the random things from your day that just made their way into the dream and then get down to the nitty gritty of what the important aspects of the dream are for you.

So, various members can give you ideas and possible meanings but it will be up to you to take what sounds right and construct the message of your dream. Sometimes, this isn't immediately possible because the dream may work precognitively and will only make pure sense when certain events play out. I find that when this happens the dream often exaggerates the anxiety-causing aspects.

Anyway, I'll tell you what I would make of the various elements of your dream if it were mine.

My husband and my brother are looking all over the house (which is on the beach for some reason) for my dad (who's not living with us in Israel btw), and we can't find him.
    Anxiety about your Dad, obviously. May be a literal feeling of not having enough time with him or a more symbolic feeling that you aren't connecting with him/ don't really feel like you know him. It could be the males in the family who feel this way. They also may be suffering for a lack of male leadership.

You may be feeling alienated from an aspect of self that you associate with your dad. In other words, a personality trait you have in common with your father may have gone missing.

My husband and my brother are telling me that they found on the beach his shirt and they also think his pants, so they are worried and they want to issue a search team.
    There are superficial signs of the person he was/you were but the real man/woman has disappeared. The family cannot accept this loss.

I'm starting to think whether I should join them, cause I have to work the next day and have to wake up at 05:30 in the morning, so if we'll be looking for hium all night I will have to take a day off or come late to work, which can be problematic cause it's supposed to be quite a hectic working day.
    The usual anxiety about the responsibilities of our roles in the world leading us to fail in our care and duty of those we love, including nurturing ourselves. The dilemma of being pulled by competing responsibilities.

Anyway, I decide eventually that I should come with them and ask them to wait till I change to appropriate shoes.
    Different clothing for the different roles we play.

While I'm coming back to the house I find a tissue paper bag and something drwas my attention to it, like asking to look in it.
    Something light and seemingly insignificant may have triggered this dream. As a bag, it holds the answers. Tissue paper may suggest a certain transparency to situations.

I open the tissue paper bag and there's a note from my dad saying "run, swin if you have to, but call the cops cause some guys are coming and I don't know what they'll do to me". I'm stunned.
    Something is troubling your dad or the part of you that you associate with your dad. That part of you is warning you of a threat to yourself. At this point, it may be that your dream hasn't been about your dad at all but about an aspect of you (associated with your dad) that has gone missing because it feels threatened. Something valuable to your family. Something possibly suppressed due to work responsibilities. Possibly, if you think about the associations you make with the beach and your father's disappearance in this dream, this line of inquiry may bear fruit.

I try to call my husband on the cell phone but can't find his name or number in my cell phone, not even in the last calls made. I eventually dial the number but am not able to reach him. Eventually he answers and I tell him what I found.
    Trouble with communication breakdown (I get a variation on this one myself). You're trying to express insights that he does not understand or that you cannot fully articulate yet.

Meanwhile, somebody from work is coming with her husband. I tell them the story. The husband takes the note and tears a bit of it. I take the note back and check if it's still readable and make sure he didn't tear anything important that was written there. I see that not, but that because my hand was a bit wet, some words are not readable. I sit down on the sand and cry, feeling a lot of guilt.
    It's hard to know how to respond to this without understanding your relationship with your friend and her husband. They represent that other area of your life and responsibilities because they are from work. The male seems to shut you down again. He may represent others or he may represent aspects of self. You value that communication from "father" and its loss leaves you bereaved. There's an important message here and it has to do with your development as a human being and an aspect that's under threat.

I would very much appreciate your comments cause I have a feeling there was some kind of message there with the note. I called my dad btw on that morning and everything was ok.
    I hope there's something here you can use. Namaste.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Sleeping Cookie Guest
    Thanks Beekeeper, that's an interesting perspective.

kayelsee Guest
    Hi -

I think beekeeper is right -

Male type of energy that you are intimate with (husband, brother) = action potentials/ways of acting you are very familiar with in your personality. House = your psyche. Beach = launching/transition area/last piece of solid ground before delving into deep and vast emotional content. Dad = father/founding generative aspect of self and/or simply your father.

He's left clothing behind = leaving outer aspects of self. Worry + beach + house on the ocean = there's a significant change of life/your psyche occurring with deep emotionally reactive implications. Not being able to find dad = having lost relationship with him, and also perhaps a piece of your own identity. This loss of identity interferes with your sense of self-efficacy around "work" or your usefulness.

Warning note in paper bag about some guys and cops coming + stunned = pay attention! The real concrete life implications involve salient consequences.

Your shoes = like a car, your vehicle for a path you're to walk. Wanting appropriate shoes = wanting to be/or are aware that you are not ready quite yet.

Not getting through on the cell phone = communication problems.

Are you going through a significant life transition that challenges your sense of self, that sense of self having been mirrored to you through the main male guiding aspect of your life? Are you very close to your dad, and is he going through a mid-life crisis or another significant life transition? Are you doing something that will disappoint him? What may you feel guilt for in relation to your father/missing info and not following through on your responsibilities?

Sometimes dreams are precognitive. It may not necessarily be happening now.

Hope this helps

Kristen

My husband and my brother are telling me that they found on the beach his shirt and they also think his pants, so they are worried and they want to issue a search team. I'm starting to think whether I should join them, cause I have to work the next day and have to wake up at 05:30 in the morning, so if we'll be looking for hium all night I will have to take a day off or come late to work, which can be problematic cause it's supposed to be quite a hectic working day. Anyway, I decide eventually that I should come with them and ask them to wait till I change to appropriate shoes.

While I'm coming back to the house I find a tissue paper bag and something drwas my attention to it, like asking to look in it. I open the tissue paper bag and there's a note from my dad saying "run, swin if you have to, but call the cops cause some guys are coming and I don't know what they'll do to me". I'm stunned. I try to call my husband on the cell phone but can't find his name or number in my cell phone, not even in the last calls made. I eventually dial the number but am not able to reach him. Eventually he answers and I tell him what I found.

Sleeping Cookie Guest
    Thanks for the helpkayelsee.
    I've been noticing I'm having a lot of dreams where there is a recurrent water element in it and also dying (me and others).
    The dying part sounds a bit scary to me, eventhough I know that dying is not necessarily bad since it means that I'm letting go of something in my life and starting something new. Am I right?

Btw, no I'm not close to my dad. Until a few months ago I wasn't even in touch with him for a few years.