Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What's your totem?

Blog Entries

What's your totem?

Just thought it might be a fun thread. If you have a totem animal spirit, what is it?

Mine is a horse. Looks like a mustang, but that just could be the way I visualise wild horses (spent much of my childhood in Arizona ).

Horse represents freedom and power. Horse people are wild spirits that cannot be broken. If Horse comes to you, look for safe passage into the new. We must synchronize our motives with that of others so we can quickly and steadily reach our goals.
    Interestingly, my horse was with me throughout most of my childhood. I thought it was an "imaginary" horse for years... It was my companion through thick and thin. Then I sort of lost contact (i.e., I got more interested in material things and for a while lost my awareness of the astral/spiritual), though I always had a big thing for unicorns (collect them still, though I have so many now I'm very, very selective about what I add to the collection).

Then, just this year, my horse came back! Or, rather, I became aware of it (I say "it" because it's never been revealed if the horse is male or female; I'd say it's not very important, and the horse does have a gender-neutral name that I gave it when I was small). Happily, a friend who is well-versed in Native American mysticism and lore helped me to understand about the nature of my equine companion and to work out why, after all these years, I suddenly became aware of my childhood "imaginary" horse again...

Okay. That's my story. Share yours?
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries
    Mine is a black crow. I think I posted the dreams that guided me to this idea, but basically, I've always been attracted to birds (my house growing up was always full of birds, a lot of them just flew into the house and since we already had the cages we just kept them until they were ready to go again (mostly parakeets, but also parrots, cockatiels and once a macaw.) So a few years ago I had a 'temple dream' (at this time I had no interest or knowledge of things metaphysical ), and in it there were four birds in 4 pillars in which I went to. Then there was some sort of experience in water (sort of like a baptism, but with a fountain) in which I received a lot of what I now know to have been metaphysical revelations but were 'wonderful' (in the sense of wonder and awe) in a very abstract way, and unbelievable images that I had trouble understanding, but I knew pointed into a very spiritual (near) future. In the following years, I stopped working where I did, got pregnant, had my son, joined a metaphysical church, learned basic metaphysics and reawoke my love for these kinds of things, and had the next dream. After the next dream the rest is history. I'll see if I can find the second dream and I'll also get my totem description.
    Be right back.
    Ok I'm back:
    My dream: http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewto ... light=crow

As you can see I highlighted 'crow' so you can scroll down and find it quicker. Here's the totem meaning (which applied to me at the time and sort of still does):

"Keeper of the Sacred Law
    Crows are the keepers of the Sacred Law
    and to have a Crow totem is very powerful.

Personal Integrity are your watchwords
    and your guide in Life.
    If you have a Crow totem, your prime path
    is to be mindful of your opinions and actions.
    You must be willing to walk your talk,
    to speak your truth and to know your life's mission.

Crow is a omen of Change.
    Crow lives in the void and has no sense of time,
    therefore, it sees past, present and future simultaneously.
    Crow merges both light and dark, both inner and outer.
    It is the totem of the Great Spirit
    and must be respected as such.

They are symbols of creation and spiritual strength.
    Look for opportunities to create and manifest the magic of life.
    Crows are messengers calling to us
    about the creation and magic that is alive in the world today
    and available to us."
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries
    I have totems come and go but two have been with me consistently: the bird and the spider.

Birds have all kinds of meanings for me and it would take me forever to explain my association with them. I will say that when I called on my guide in a lucid dream it came as a white dove.

As a very small child, my siblings and I were left in the so-called care of a woman who so despised infants that she made us use the outside toilet that was infested with spiders of all sizes. If we needed to go to the toilet, we were reqired to await her Ladyship's pleasure. Then would come the inevitable fumbling of tiny fingers with buttoned corderoy dungarees and the panic caused by an insistent bladder and potential shame. The final challenge was to get the whole exercise over with as quickly as possible so as to avoid an extended encounter with the spiders.

Eventually, I learnt to take my time down there. At least I'd be outside away from the droning soap operas and cigarette smoke. I started to find the spiders interesting and gradually came to associate them with good luck. My mother had told me about money spiders and I thought they were cute, so why were these other spiders so bad? I liked snails, and ladybugs and preying mantis, it wasn't a great leap to like spiders too and, eventually, I began to see spiders as good omens. Still do.

Snakes and rats also operate as harbingers for me. Snakes are good; rats are not. This sounds terrible, but my dog has twice killed a rat on our walks and each time I've had a run of good fortune afterwards. On my first actual teaching day where I currently work, a rat ran into my classroom and around the perimeter.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Caelrie Guest
    I seem to have two, both the dog and the spider.

Is a totem the same as an animal spirit guide?

I did a meditation a couple of years ago to meet my animal guide. I visualized walking into a room, went to the far wall and looked out a window. I was suposed to turn around and see my animal guide. Was suposed to be surprised about what the animal was. But, as I was looking out the window I felt a nudge in my back and heard a neigh.

I actually felt the nudge physically. When I turned around there was a very spunky horse and he gave me an affectionate nuzzle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishell
    Is a totem the same as an animal spirit guide?
    Yes.

Technically, a "totem" is only applicable to a group, like a tribe or nation. But people use the word to mean an individual animal guide, too.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

blacktiger057 Guest
    Right now I have two animal guides, the tiger and red hawk.

My connection with cats is stronger than any other animal. But the tiger has always been randomly appearing in my dreams and meditations. I'm sponsoring a tiger in Africa right now. I feel just really attuned to this animal. In the astral, I've seen my spirit guide a few times. It often takes the form of a black tiger, almost like a panther in color but definately a tiger. Hence, my username.

Whoah, I just noticed something else! One of my cats is all black, and one of them has tiger-like markings so we call him Tiger(we got him about four months ago). My username even corresponds to my cats.

Anyway, my other totem is the red tailed hawk. I think that this bird has been my guide ever since I nursed one back to health. I frequently find red hawk feathers on my deck. While this animal does not appear in my dreams as often as the tiger, it has more physical ways of reminding me its there (as tigers don't live in my backyard ).

I feel a close connection to both of these animals. In a way, they are very real friends...

Many Blesings!

Scott

I have no idea what mine would be, but I'd guess at a dog - I seem to have always had an affinity for them & them for me.
    Never doubt there is Truth, just doubt that you have it!

Freawaru Guest
    I did a shamanic journey some years ago and it turned out to be a rabbit. It is funny, I expected it to be either horse or elephant, as somehow I have a strong relationship to both in real life.

In a way it is good that it turned out to be something unexpected, it was my first journey and I was not at all sure about doing everything right.

I asked a correspondence about the meaning of rabbit but she just said there are many and was rather amused that I had been choosen by a companion who was good at fast flights and unexpected turns.

Does anyone have anything on rabbit as animal spirit guide?

Blog Entries
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)