Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: What's your totem?

Blog Entries

Re: What's your totem?

Quote Originally Posted by mystyx View Post
    "In brother bear when a tribe member came of age the shaman woman, guided by ancestors, would assign that person a totem. The totem is an animal that represents a trait that the coming of age is to learn in their lifetime.
    I was struck by how wonderfully simple and straight forward life would be if society was like that. It would guarantee that nobody would be stumbling around grasping for purpose and meaning. And nobody would have to die with regret, they know they accomplished their purpose in life. I would like such a clear purpose."

Totems come and go with different periods in your life. You can loose totems and gain new ones.
    in chrono order:

When I was completely innocent my totem was a deer and a white horse. When I lost the deer it drowned in a puddle of water. When my innocence ended so did the white horse, I had a dream of it dying. It was the most intense emotional experience of my life. I was literally screaming, crying and flailing in my sleep, then continued to cry while awake. It was worse than my sisters death. Guess I really value innocence.

A little psychic girl 5 years old told me my animal is a cow. I think it still applies somewhat.

For a long time when I was only focused on spiritual matters my totem was the golden eagle. After a traumatic event that changed everything I had a dream of falling from the sky with the eagle and two other animals and humans, all the animals died when we hit the ground.

My most beloved animal is the chickadee. Unfortunately my familiar is the Merlin falcon who only eats chickadees! (How I learned about my familiar is a long but magical story) I chose to keep the chickadee over the falcon.

I believe one of the best ways to tell that an animal is your totem though unexplainable attraction. I felt it whenever I saw the eagle in my dreams, and seagull feathers in waking life.

Recently I asked what my most important totem to focus on and I got stork.

But the one totem I have always had, and always will, is the nightingale:
    "The sweet song of the Nightingale gives inspiration as a harbinger of a personal dawn. She guides one into seeing the importance in the connection to old beliefs and thoughts. It is time to take authority of your mind. She teaches the nocturnal song and brings to the light what is mysterious and hidden. What is learned in the "night' is to be incorporated into the "day". She shows how to move throughout different consciousness and use inspirations of higher realms while keeping grounded. Nightingale balances masculine and feminine energies along with balancing dietary elements. It is time to sing loudly - above the cacophony of the mind chatter and above what others think and say. Timid and shy at times, she can show how to act with grace and elegance. In regards to parental love, timidity changes to a brave ferocity. Nightingale will show the balance between the two. Are you sharing what you know, acting what you believe."

This site for bird totems:
    http://www.starstuffs.com/animal_tot...y_of_birds.htm
    Thanks for sharing this bird totem site mystyx..... it's really beautiful

Reading through the list, i am fortunate to have the influence of many birds around my living space

the blackbird & the robin are two species that i find are very impactful to have around

From the list, birds that we have regularly around:
    • blackbird
    • robin
    • starlings
    • doves
    • pigeons
    • crow
    • magpies
    • seagulls
    • wren
    • goldfinch
    • sparrow
    • swifts
    • ducks & geese
    " the core of spirituality is to optimize your personal evolution" ~ Robert Bruce

Blog Entries

Re: What's your totem?

Bat

Bat Symbolism & Meaning

Last night I was lying in bed pondering & spending some time self engaging before going to sleep, when i shut my eyes i had a clear vision of a bat flying towards me.

As a child i had a fascination with bats & would always like to draw them

The video below conveys the bat in flight reflecting what i saw in my vision

Meet the World's Biggest Bat

" the core of spirituality is to optimize your personal evolution" ~ Robert Bruce

Blog Entries
    Oystercatcher

Oystercatcher --

• Large, conspicuous, and noisy.

• A time to realize that portions of you are being suppressed

• (Christian legend says that the oystercatcher once hid Jesus in a time of danger and was rewarded by being given the mark of the cross on its back.)

• A need to protect children from being taken.

• A selfless act of concealment.

canstock8169115.jpg

The Virgin Mother, in Celtic lore, has Oystercatcher as one of her symbols.

Last edited by newfreedom; 20th January 2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Oystercatcher