I would like to discuss the use of shields on a more physical level (or rather a level which is very close to physical reality).

What I have discovered is that a shield becomes less effective (if not completely) by any hesitation on your part. It's like in a lucid dream.. if you are scared of being hurt, and you believe you will feel pain, then you will. If you hesitate for just a second and have any element of fear in your mind, then you will feel pain from an attack. But if you stand your ground, with no fear in mind, completely confident in yourself (having 100% belief it will not hurt, you will not die) then you don't feel any pain whatsoever.

I have to say I believe the same applies in waking life with shield manifestations.. If a noise or sudden movement startles you for a second, your shield will drop.. or if you have programmed it exceptionally well then it might still hold but will be somewhat less stable/strong.

Be daring and unafraid, don't let the things that go bump in the night scare you otherwise any shield you make will only become weaker and weaker as time progresses.