Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is there a guide on doing kriya yoga anywhere on the net?

Nick---- Guest

Re: Is there a guide on doing kriya yoga anywhere on the net?

As a kriyaban that been initiated by an organization (I started with SRF but ended up dealing with Ananda), I now feel that these organizations are flawed but also serve a great purpose. Looking into the history of Kriya it becomes obvious that Lahiri Mahasaya, who received these techniques from directly from Babaji, taught Kriya in many, many different ways. As a true guru does, he gave people their individual perscription, not just varying different amounts of certain pranayams, but also different ways of doing them. Not only that but, Sri Yukteswar changed some things, and then Yoganandaji (who brought Kriya to the west) changed even more things (he also changed some of Sri Yukteswar's alterations back to Lahiri's methods). This starts to seem pretty confusing but each teacher is trying to give his students what they need.

The Kriya techniques vary from simple to very complex, and require different amounts of spiritual advancement to even be successful. The secrecy is based on the tradition that things that are valuable and sacred should be protected. Also without working with someone that has experience with Kriya it is hard to understand or practice effectively. As I begin to delve deeper into these techniques I get frustrated with the organizations because they have become somewhat locked into what Yogananda taught, without realizing that everyone is different. From talking to different kriyabans from different lineages I have made alterations to my practice that have been very beneficial, but are different from what Yogananda taught in his official lessons. Yogananda also taught some disciples things that he never wrote about. This is why so much of the Kriya literature stresses the fact that one needs regular contact with a true guru to help them along the way. I am actually traveling to India in the fall to search for some advanced Kriya teachers to recieve some personal instruction. I think Yogananda gave many people a great gift by making Kriya available through an organization since many will never have the time or chance to find an advanced teacher, but I also feel that one who is serious about these practices needs to work with someone who can give personal attention.

As a sidenote I should say that some of Robert Bruce's methods are very similar to certain Kriya techniques. I think this is because there is a science of energy and anyone who studies it will come to many of the same conclusions. I don't do much NEW energy work anymore because I find Kriya to be more powerful and spiritual for myself, but everyone needs something different which is why there are so many different paths. If you are actually interested in pursuing Kriya Yoga, I would say that you should be prepared to live a disciplined life. The rewards are great but it takes a lot of time and energy to practice at first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nostic
    Frankly, I imagine if I were self-realized, I'd only give the fine details of my knowledge to those who were extremely serious about the path they're taking.
    It's been my observation that you can talk about all manner of spiritual truths with people who aren't "there yet" (or never will be "there") and they just look at you like a deer in headlights. They have no clue what you're talking about. So long as you're not giving specifics of technique for invoking some sort of spiritual event, you can talk all you want and give as many details of spiritual experiences as you want and it just sounds like "yadda yadda yadda" to the uninitiated.

Note: I don't mean to sound like I think I'm some sort of great guru with amazing spiritual knowledge. The post might sound that way, but it's not what I intend to imply. I can say that I do have some kinds of spiritual experience and knowledge that most people don't, but that's true of most people on this forum.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

Nick----; Do you give initiations, or how does this work?
    Or you would you tell me (via pm) in what way Kriya is like NEW? Whatever you feel comforable divulging, of course.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Nick---- Guest

No, I have only been practicing Kriya intensely for a couple years. Traditionally, one's guru has to give one permission to initiate others. This is usually done after years and years of practice (usually somewhere between 10-20 years) and sometimes never. The guru, during initiation, places the spiritual eye on the initiate. This is where they touch someone's forehead so that they may perceive the light (in the form of a golden halo around a field of deep blue with a five pointed white star in the middle) of the third-eye. This is where there is some conflict between Yogananda-based organizations (SRF, Ananda) and most all other lines. Yogananda devotees say that experienced Kriya teachers can act as a channel for Yogananda to do this, where most all other lines say one's living guru must do this. The "placing" or "opening" of the spiritual eye is supposed to help one progress more rapidly, as well as establish a relationship with the guru. But based on my own experience of being initiated at Ananda, I did not see any more light than I usually do during the initiation. That light was sporadic and blurry, but since practicing Kriya for 2-3 hours a day, I have started to perceive the spiritual eye more clearly, even sometimes seeing the gold and blue circle with the star in the middle. It seems to me that whether initiated by a "guru" or not, one receives immense benefit from doing Kriya. It is just more confusing to work on my practice without someone to help me along. I have had some super-conscious dreams and OBE experiences involving Yogananda, Sri Yukteswar, and Lahiri Mahasaya at different times but never was any specific instruction given. These experiences were uplifting but the only communication was Yogananda saying, "keep going", in a powerful dream that happened while I was debating with myself about getting initiated.

As far as connection between Kriya and NEW, it is really about becoming aware of the movement of energy in the body and how to manipulate that energy. Just as in most schools of yoga, the stimulation of the chakras is important as well. Without going into too much detail, Kriya is focused on the spine and working with energy there. Even if there was an extensive book written on Kriya techniques it would be hard to practice them well without working with someone experienced. This is mainly why I obverse some secrecy while describing Kriya; also sometimes practicing pranayama wrong has led to severe mental problems. The Kriya initiate has their Kriya checked on regularly for this reason. Anyway, I feel similar sensations from doing full body circuits and chakra stimulation in NEW as I do with Kriya practice, but I don't feel it is as powerful personally. Although I like NEW because it is nice to do when I am not in a meditative state, i.e. while driving, reading, etc.
    I hope thats not too much information for you CF.

alwayson4 Guest

Nick, is the ultimate goal of kriya to raise the kundalini?

Kundalini is like having electricity. The goal isn't having electricity; it's running your coffee maker and your computer and the other various appliances. There are stages along the way in Kriya Yoga and Kundalini is used to reach them, but having Kundalini does not automatically make them happen any more than having electricity directly translates into a mug of coffee with a shot of espresso in it.

Blog Entries

Expresso....mmm....
    Just ignore me Tom, I know how irritating these little posts of mine are.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Nick---- Guest

As Tom said, kundalini is just something that happens along the way. As with all yogic paths, the goal of Kriya is samadhi, or oneness with the Divine. And not to just have this experience in meditation but to take it with you at all times. Also the goal of Kriya is the burning up of karma, so that one doesn't have to return to the cycle of life and death unless one wants to.

Blog Entries

Frankly, I was a bit pissed off after reading the "Kriya" chapter in Yogananda's book. It just sounds like "This is it, everything else is second class."

Then again, practically every teacher sounds like that. Begs the question - do the teachers really think in such "competitive" terms, in comparisons, in "mine is more spiritual than yours"? Or do they rather each simply ensure their own students who get drawn to them that what they are doing is right... actually right for them, not right for everyone, but everyone wants to hear that they are learning *the* best way, right?

I mean, Yogananda describes the way of sitting in stillness as inferior and Kriya as a science, but I am pretty sure that there are people who use stillness to actually scientifically peel apart their mind to reveal everything that can be known from meditation. So - who is more scientific? (Trick question alert! )

I'm not too sure of this, but I think everyone needs their own set of tools for cultivating their spiritual side. There's no superior way. But then again, would it not be uninspiring for many to know this?

Oliver

alwayson4 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Korpo
    I mean, Yogananda describes the way of sitting in stillness as inferior and Kriya as a science,
    Oliver
    Same exact thing is said about Buddist candali practice. You did not give Yogananda's subsequent explanation of why kriya yoga is better than simple meditation. But anyway, that exact same reason is again seen in Buddist candali (kundalini) practice.

kriya yoga, in general, uses the same techniques as NEW, Buddist practices.

Heck, I even recently learned that kechari mudra, which is key to kriya yoga practice, is also part of Buddist practice.

Therefore you would have to call NEW and buddist practices ultimate as well. Its all the same stuff. At each chakra, in buddist and kriya yoga systems, you insert mantras for example. I could go on and on, about the similarites. They are essentially the same!

So I think Yogananda IS possibly justified by calling kriya yoga the ultimate, especially if you realize the similarities with some of the highest teachings in buddism.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast