Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cold showers to improve energy flow?

ejr23116 Guest

Cold showers to improve energy flow?

I have read about the many health benefits of taking cold showers including better circulation, increased vitality, cleansing the body of neagtive energy and toxins, etc. I have also read that this is good to do before meditating.

I just started taking them today. Will update the forum in a few weeks.

Has anyone else tried this practice?

Re: Cold showers to improve energy flow?

my yoga teacher insists it's good to have one at the start of the day.
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.

Blog Entries

Frankly, this seems counter-intuitive to me.
    Warmth opens up pores and dilates blood vessels, lowering blood pressure on the outside of the body at least, which is the definition of circulation. Cold water constricts, so how can cold water improve circulation? That does not make sense to me, except for the idea of the cold water being a shock to the system, causing the adrenalin to surge and thus waking you up. Somehow, I don't see how that's 'good for you'.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler
    Frankly, this seems counter-intuitive to me.
    Warmth opens up pores and dilates blood vessels, lowering blood pressure on the outside of the body at least, which is the definition of circulation. Cold water constricts, so how can cold water improve circulation? That does not make sense to me, except for the idea of the cold water being a shock to the system, causing the adrenalin to surge and thus waking you up. Somehow, I don't see how that's 'good for you'.
    i agree completely,however,my yoga teacher says to have one as a starting point for the day.with the idea that from that point onwards,your energy flow can only increase,you know what i mean?
    as far as i'm concerned,if it's not really hot outside,there's no need for a cold shower!! no thank you.
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.

ejr23116 Guest

Do a couple of google searches:

1. Cold showers and Chinese Medecine

2. Cold showers and health benefits

It does seem counter to common logic. But I believe part of the theory is that in the morning, much of your blood is in your internal organs as the body is in it's rejuvination mode. The cold water draws the blood out to the skin and to the capillaries. The cold water also causes heavier breathing, which pulls in more chi from the earth.

I agree that it doesn't make sense at first glance, but there just may be something to it!

The shock and constriction caused by the cold shower is temporary. The benefits comes from after that initial response when the body warms up again. It is like breathing out really well to get the lungs as empty as you can before breathing in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ejr23116
    It does seem counter to common logic. But I believe part of the theory is that in the morning, much of your blood is in your internal organs as the body is in it's rejuvination mode.
    Ok, I can dig that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    The shock and constriction caused by the cold shower is temporary. The benefits comes from after that initial response when the body warms up again. It is like breathing out really well to get the lungs as empty as you can before breathing in.
    Maybe I'll try it...in the Summer. Right now it's cold! Just walking outside is enough to shock and constrict....Brr....

ejr23116 Guest

OK...I asked my physical therapist about the cold showers. She said that the cold showers would initially decrease blood flow. But if you stay in long enough (10-15 minutes) that the Hunting Reaction should take place. This is the skins attempt to reach an equilibrium with regards to temperature. So the skin starts irregularly expanding and contracting blood vessels and capillaries. The phenomenon is also known as CIVD (cold induced vasodilation).

So it's nice to know that there is some science behind it afterall. Thought you all might find this interesting.

Be well

Blog Entries

Interesting!
    You too...

Alaskans Guest

I just had my first cold shower this morning in response to the building self discapline post. I was actually a little anxious of doing it. It sucked, but I feel good, I'm going to do it more, it's one of those things that are hard but your glad you did it (I actually felt like jumping back in ). But I wonder how long and how cold.. because we have very cold water up here, if I had it on coldest I would have hypothermia in 15 minutes (not that I've never survived that). I assume red skin is a result of CIVD? So maybe a few minutes after that? Before I jumped in I thought I might put it on hot afterward, but I felt that would defeat the purpose somehow. I certainly reccomend it, even if all the other bennifits were false (I think theyre true), it's still a powerfull, accessable way to build self discapline (I go out in blizzards, but those are uncommon)