I'm having some frustrations trying to do the really simple NEW stuff. Like the exercise where you swirl the secondary chakras in your thumb joints and big toe joints, for instance. I can focus on the general area, but I can't seem to focus on a point small enough to where I could move that focus around in circles. Also, any time moving my focus around is involved, I keep reading in the book about back-and-forth times in the seconds, but to move my focus from the base of my thumb to my shoulder seems to take like 15 seconds...am I trying too hard, or expecting too much in the way of physical sensations?

Maybe it would help to explain exactly what I'm doing. When I shift awareness to my thumb for instance, I try to sort of center my consciousness around the thumb...focus on what the thumb is feeling and try to shut everything else out. When it comes to moving that around though, it gets really hard. I can focus like that on my elbow, but when I try to do a gradual movement between the two, it's like I can't feel ANYTHING in between them. I'm trying to focus on the physical sensations at every spot I focus on, and unless it's like a joint area or a hand or foot, I can't feel any physical sensations there unless I actually touch it! It's of course easier when "highlighting," but the second I stop actually physically tracing the path, I lose it. This is why I'm thinking I'm going about this all the wrong way.

Is it as simple as going "okay, what WOULD it feel like if I traced from here to here" and then "imagining" that sensation actually occurring? The most I've felt as far as "energy movement" when trying these exercises is a barely perceptible warmth, mostly in the hands and feet. I feel like I should be feeling something a little more significant than that if I were doing it right.