Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aren't there two types of love?

Blog Entries

Re: Aren't there two types of love?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Alternatively in the Red Dwarf universe, love is actually a virus that wears off after a while...
    I think that's not far from the truth. If there's something else there by the time it wears off (friendship, partnership, shared goals and interests, etc.) then you keep going together. If there isn't, the relationship falls apart. ALL romantic love eventually sputters and dies, though it might flare up again now and then (it's not uncommon to repeatedly "fall in love" with a longterm partner). The thing that REALLY lasts is the love that is NOT fueled by "romance" and sexual attraction (not that I'm knocking sexual attraction *ahem*).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I would say there is universal love, then there is a different class of emotions surrounding various objects such as people, animals and material possessions that have a potentially infinite range of classifications. It depends on how granular you want to get.
    *nodnod* Yup. That makes good sense, at least to me. The thing about poeple is that everything we do is filtered by our human ego (no matter how much we wish it were otherwise), so no relationship is going to be "pure love" all the time.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

As far as I'm concerned, there is only Love. There aren't any "types" of Love. The energy of Love is the same. The Unconditional Love I feel for a partner, my relatives and my friends is basically the same. I just express it in different ways, depending on the person and my relationship with them. Conditional love is not Love. It comes from the ego. Unconditional Love has nothing to do with the ego.
    AKA Silver Firefly — If I had to reincarnate as an animal, I'd choose to come back as a bonobo.

~ Manipulation is a tool that's too often abused.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma
    As far as I'm concerned, there is only Love. There aren't any "types" of Love. The energy of Love is the same. The Unconditional Love I feel for a partner, my relatives and my friends is basically the same. I just express it in different ways, depending on the person and my relationship with them. Conditional love is not Love. It comes from the ego. Unconditional Love has nothing to do with the ego.
    Which is what I was trying to say way up there.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

yortyort Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alwayson4
    Real unconditional love for all sentient beings is where it is at
    Yes it is! The sad part is very few people feel this way...
    Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler
    Frankly, I think there's only one kind of love. Love is wanting the best for someone else (or for ourselves)- anything else is something else entirely, and we can call it a 'type' of love, but it really isn't.
    Just my opinion, obviously.
    I agree with CFT

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma
    Probably, right.You can combine emotions too. Love and confusion, a very strange combo. Love and joy, love and ecstasy, love and happiness, love and greed. When combined the combo kind of takes on its own unique quality.

Unconditional love, another one of those words that sounds nice but makes me irky, you can't define it with just one word, love is defined better through by experience. From my experience love doesn't just happen unconditionally. For example if you are preoccupied so much with greed or fear or confusion that you just can't tear yourself away from them, the amount of space you have for giving and receiving love can be pretty limited. The negative emotions themselves aren't bad, it is letting the negative emotions encompass you that can prevent you from experiencing love.This leads me to think that there are conditions to experiencing love.

What are some conditions for experiencing pure love? Some say a mind that is clear and clean and accepting of yourself and others, the good and the bad.

Try this out for yourself. Compare how your capacity to give and receive love is when you are stressed and preoccupied versus when you are not.
    You haveeyes each composed of 130 million photoreceptor cells. In each of those cells there’s 100 trillion atoms that’s more than all the stars in the Milky way galaxy.However each atom in each cell in each eye formed in the core of a star billions of years ago and yet here they are today being utilized to capture the energy released from that same process all to expand the consciousness of you. It's ironic in that you are the universe experiencing itself And all you are is a thought.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heliac
    What are some conditions for experiencing pure love? Some say a mind that is clear and clean and accepting of yourself and others, the good and the bad.
    Unconditioned love then.

Cheers,
    Oliver

lol, i knew i was going to see that response at some point.

It's fun and rewarding exploring the conditions for experiencing love. I have found that my understanding has changed or evolved over time by examining what the conditions are.
    You haveeyes each composed of 130 million photoreceptor cells. In each of those cells there’s 100 trillion atoms that’s more than all the stars in the Milky way galaxy.However each atom in each cell in each eye formed in the core of a star billions of years ago and yet here they are today being utilized to capture the energy released from that same process all to expand the consciousness of you. It's ironic in that you are the universe experiencing itself And all you are is a thought.