Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What do you read at the moment?

Blog Entries

What do you read at the moment?

I moved it to Movies and Books.

I started to peek into "The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha".
    I read some pages of Yogananda's "Autobiography of a Yogi" every day.
    I am expecting Kurt Leland's "The Unanswered Question - Death, Near-Death and the Afterlife" and "Music and the Soul: A Listener's Guide to Achieving Transcendent Musical Experiences", and started reading them both on Amazon's "Search Inside" already.

I am really curious about the last one. I didn't expect to find such a book, but I think it is important. I find all his writings very intriguing, but the topic of using music for spiritual purposes is even doubly so.

Oliver

Blog Entries

Re: What do you read at the moment?

I'm re-reading "Miracle Prayer" by Susan Shumsky.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Jaco Guest

"God delusion" by Richard Dawkings
    "Principia Discordia"

Im re-reading my "Dune" collection, I love sci-fi epics... sorry it's not very highbrow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gehenna
    Im re-reading my "Dune" collection, I love sci-fi epics... sorry it's not very highbrow
    Don't worry. If I'd answered this last week, it would have been "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OlderWiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehenna
    Don't worry. If I'd answered this last week, it would have been "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett.
    I re-read the Dune collection earlier this year. It is very finely crafted literature.

"Making Money" was disappointing. I loved its predecessor, "Going Postal", but "Making Money" was too - convoluted? Hope you like it better. Maybe I reread it with less expectations - I liked "Jingo" much better when I reread it, too.

Oliver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korpo
    "Making Money" was disappointing. I loved its predecessor, "Going Postal", but "Making Money" was too - convoluted? Hope you like it better. Maybe I reread it with less expectations - I liked "Jingo" much better when I reread it, too.
    I've read the entire Discworld series, many of them more than once. I faithfully read whatever the new book is, and I generally enjoy them. I liked this one well enough, though it's not my favourite. I was very intrigued by the interesting picture it paints of Vetinari, though, and his relationship with Moist von Lipwig (and I do love that name ).

My favourites are the ones with Granny Weatherwax, though I'm more the Nanny Ogg type...

Blog Entries

I prefer the Commander Vimes books. They also have a lot of Vetinari in it. I love it when he teases the werewolves with "Vet...inari" in "The Fifth Elefant". I reread them a lot. I like the Weatherwax ones, including the Tiffany books, and the only ones I don't reread are the Rincewind ones - with the sole exception of "Interesting Times".

Oliver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korpo
    I don't reread are the Rincewind ones - with the sole exception of "Interesting Times".
    I'm not a fan of Rincewind, but I do like the staff of Unseen University. Having spent a lot of time around academics, I can relate. The only Rincewind one I've read more than once is the one set in Fourex, the country that is definitely not Australia not even a little bit. I love that a platypus is a duck designed by a committee of academics and that Rincewind accidentally invented Vegemite by trying to make beer soup when he was really drunk...

I just started Jeremy Narby - "THE COSMIC SERPENT - DNA and the Origins of Knowledge.
    every day i read a little of THE BOOK OF CHUANG TZU.
    i'm halfway through Tudor Parfitt's THE LOST ARK OF THE COVENANT
    and also Tolkien's THE CHILDREN OF HURIN.
    "We are spirits in the material world" Sting. The Police.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast