I don't know if this is a silly question but I was wondering from a metaphysical perspective what exactly are nightmares? Also why does melatonin sometimes trigger them.

I notice for me I have 3 different types of nightmares. There are dreams that are on the threshold of being nightmares.They have an overwhelmingly sinister or depressing feel to them, often nothing particularly nightmarish happens but its just the feeling of it. Then there are dreams that make a wrong turn somewhere and either bring up something that is actually happening in my life that I find upsetting, or some typical nightmare scenerio happens, like having to take refuge from the living dead, or being eaten alive by a great white shark. These might upset me or sometimes I wake up with a little adrenaline rush. I tend to use these as inspiration for artwork. I might feel a little stunned when I wake up but I move on with my day like normal.

Now there is another type of nightmare I will get once in a blue moon, these nightmares tend to have a distinct feel to them, different than the other nightmares I described. When I have these types of nightmares usually when I wake up I feel almost traumatized almost like I had just been raped spiritually and/or psychologically. They always have a distinctly "Evil" feel to them, demonic, beyond sinister, images/scenarios that are just so horribly disturbing, twisted and messed up I wonder where such things come from. Do negs play a role in these types of nightmares? When I wake up I feel like I have been kicked down to lower vibration.

I had one of these last night... I shook it off but it makes me wonder if something tried to "hack" into my brain to try to lower my frequency and if I should be on guard when I try to project tonight.