Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming from the Buddhist perspective

alwayson4 Guest

Dreaming from the Buddhist perspective

The goal of vajrayana Buddhism is to go beyond the dream into the deep trance state i.e. aware while asleep.

This is to prepare for death, because even Robert Bruce has indicated that most people will fall into an unconscious dream after death, where they do not even realize they died (just like when you are dreaming, you do not realize you are dreaming). This is exactly the same as Tibetan teachings.

So the steps are:

a) First goal is to become lucid while dreaming. Once you become lucid, you should just sit down whereever you are in the dream and not do anything. Just observe the surroundings. This will prepare you for the afterlife. You can become lucid in the afterlife. And if you passivley observe the surroundings in the afterlife, you will gain instant Buddhahood.

b) Eventually the goal is to not dream at all unless one wills it. You should be aware all throughout the sleep process (i.e. deep trance). This is intimately associated with being mindful 24/7, i.e. staying in the natural state/the NOW.

So in summary, dreams are just mental trash. Become lucid, and then do not interact with them. Just passively observe the manifestations of your own mind. Once you get the hang of that, try to stay mindful and aware during the sleep process

Blog Entries

Re: Dreaming from the Buddhist perspective

Dreams offer wonderful growth perspectives and are a means of connecting to guidance. You just fail to see that.

Oliver

alwayson4 Guest

Yes dreams will allow you some insight. I keep a dream log.

What is wrong with becoming lucid and passively watching the manifestations of the mind?

Anyway, I gave the Buddhist perspective.....you should not criticize me personally

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alwayson4
    Yes dreams will allow you some insight. I keep a dream log.

What is wrong with becoming lucid and passively watching the manifestations of the mind?
    You just described dreams as "mental crap". This statement I clearly take fault with. It is IMO misguiding for others and devaluing dreams as expressions of guidance. From my point of view, it is an invalid statement.

From the context it is clear I was not referencing the technique of becoming lucid. I have no opinion to offer about that. The Tibetan teachings hold no special value to me.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayson4
    Anyway, I gave the Buddhist perspective.....you should not criticize me personally
    No, you gave your own interpretation and perspective. Again, you fail to see the difference.

You are not speaking for Buddhism, nor is your interpretation necessarily accurate, nor it is assured it is even remotely close to what the Buddhist teachers meant. You just assume that.

Oliver

In Buddhism and Hinduism there are techniques for bringing dreaming to an end, unless specifically chosen as something to experience. When deep dreamless sleep becomes mixed with conscious awareness it becomes a stepping-off point for attaining full enlightenment. In Hinduism / Yoga the approach I'm familiar with is called Yoga Nidra. In Buddhism, the Yogas of Dream and Sleep. The quality of awareness in dreams takes priority over interpreting the content.

alwayson4 Guest

"The quality of awareness in dreams takes priority over interpreting the content."

AMEN!

Blog Entries

There's a huge difference between "dream content is crap" and "in Yoga Nidra the object isn't interpretation, it is achieving awareness"
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

alwayson4 Guest

I never said crap.

My post always said "trash"

I think everyone would agree that daily mental chatter is trash. I would put dreams in the same category.

I am pretty sure tantric Buddhism also puts both in the same category.

There IS value is keeping a dream journal to monitor how your mind is functioning, and IS a major part of introspective work.

I do not think the two paradigms are incompatible.

But the goal should always be to become lucid, and then passively observe the dream environment.

A technique I read years ago is to continually remember "I am" not as words, but the feeling of just being. The purpose is to find the feeling of being present (I am) and to use the words only as needed to bring it back and intensify it. When your being-ness carries on through the day it will begin to extend into your dreaming and eventually your deep sleep. As an alternative to practicing your own presence, you can also choose to practice the presence of God. The important thing is to try to remember at all times, in the back of your mind, as you go about your routine.

(edit - if you are better visually than kinesthetically - sp? - there was a variation involving visualizing a rose. When you can keep it in awareness during the day, look for it in your dreaming.)

alwayson4 Guest

Yeah I discovered the secrets of this practice sort of by accident while playing with reality (aka NOW).

You keep the mind hyper-focused throughout the day (being mindful during every movement you make, any action you take), and then you try to carry that mindset into sleep.

I found that you will not be able to go asleep as easily, nor is there as much of as a percieved need. So you may want to stay up a little longer. When you do fall sleep, you have a good chance of going into trance. This is all my life-changing personal experience. I later learned about Buddhist practices, and everything clicked together. So a lot of what you are talking about Tom is correct from my own experience.

I think this is why saints sleep a lot less.

The key is to remain hyperfocused every "second" throughout the day, without the mind wandering into thoughts about the past or future. (I put "second" in quotation marks, because time is only a mental concept. In reality, it is always NOW, with the form of NOW changing shape.)