Thread: Meditation question

Waffle Bear Guest

Meditation question

I've just recently been doing simple meditation example, Crossed legs on ground, spine straight and focusing solely on my breathing ... Inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth. If any thoughts happen to pop up, i push them away before they can even "say" anything, and go back to focusing on my breath. After a couple seconds of focusing on my breath, particularly noticeable on the inhale, energy is drawn to the area where my third eye is suppose to be. This stimulated area on my forehead continues during my entire meditation... and I can reproduce this feeling pretty much anytime and anywhere if wish. However it doesn't seem to do anything positive or negative for me. Should I stop doing this? Could I get hurt by my third eye somehow? lol

Also (if this is the proper place to ask) how is the Third Eye properly utilized? Is there any visual element to it? When I close my eyes and look up slightly, all there is to see is swirling clouds that flow randomly and "flower" in and outward.

And is the technique I'm using okay? Should I push my thoughts away like I have been doing? Or should I should let my thoughts just keep on running. Listening to my chatter hasn't proven to do anything outstanding thus far. And to be honest, my mind doesn't wander too many times throughout the day... I just keep focused on my work and breathing and whatnot... I'm pleased to say that with just a couple sessions of meditation, I've noticed I'm constantly in a VERY good mood no matter what's happening around me. Time passes a hundred times faster too.

It would be appreciated if anyone could share some personal knowledge and help me in my approach.

Blog Entries

Re: Meditation question

And is the technique I'm using okay? Should I push my thoughts away like I have been doing? Or should I should let my thoughts just keep on running. Listening to my chatter hasn't proven to do anything outstanding thus far. And to be honest, my mind doesn't wander too many times throughout the day... I just keep focused on my work and breathing and whatnot... I'm pleased to say that with just a couple sessions of meditation, I've noticed I'm constantly in a VERY good mood no matter what's happening around me. Time passes a hundred times faster too.
    If something is working well for you, Waffle Bear (cute name, btw), don't change it just because it works differently for others. Like you, I'm better off suppressing the thoughts and refocussing rather than letting them run their course. But, if I've totally lost focus and spent a whole lot of time thinking and imagining, I tell myself that it's okay they've run their course and now I can get focussed. See, I have it both ways and I then I win either way.

It seems to me you're doing extraordinarily well.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries

It sounds like you're doing well. Once you get the hang of it, you can look for ways to vary your techniques and so on.

Personally, I don't meditate sitting with my legs crossed. I can't get on the floor (well, I can get down, but not up again) due to damaged knees, and my thighs are too fat to allow any kind of meaningful leg crossing, so I meditate sitting up in a chair. I can do it in the car, in my office chair, in a recliner, etc. I also meditate lying down, but I have to be careful with that because I tend to go to sleep.

Point is, do what works for you, and it sounds like you're definitely on the right track.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

amazingjourney Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Waffle Bear
    After a couple seconds of focusing on my breath, particularly noticeable on the inhale, energy is drawn to the area where my third eye is suppose to be. This stimulated area on my forehead continues during my entire meditation... and I can reproduce this feeling pretty much anytime and anywhere if wish.
    Usually after a short while of sitting, I find energy being drawn inward, decending to my belly area. And actually I feel something in me just come to a total still. Yesm at some point, third eye, and crown have a lot of sensation there. But the best feeling is the energy settling down totally.

Also (if this is the proper place to ask) how is the Third Eye properly utilized? Is there any visual element to it? When I close my eyes and look up slightly, all there is to see is swirling clouds that flow randomly and "flower" in and outward.
    Yes, something flow around in front of our closed eyes. Sometimes i even suspect my thoughts merge into these flow and turn into energy flowing around for me to see it, instead of engaging in thinking the thoughts.

And is the technique I'm using okay? Should I push my thoughts away like I have been doing? Or should I should let my thoughts just keep on running.
    The way that you bring your focus back to breathing is a great way not to engaging in your thinking mind. What we are doing is to observe these thoughts, but not judging it, engaging in it, minimizing it, until they trun into this energy and flow away.

Our mind can only focus on one thing at a time. So when you focus on breathing, you can't be engaging in thoughts. This sounds simple, but most people can't even get over the urge to get up andtake care of somethings. So they find it hard to sit more than ten minutes sometimes.

it sounds like you are doing great!!

Waffle Bear Guest

Thanks for the input guys

Quote Originally Posted by amazingjourney
    Yes, something flow around in front of our closed eyes. Sometimes i even suspect my thoughts merge into these flow and turn into energy flowing around for me to see it, instead of engaging in thinking the thoughts.
    I've noticed that sometimes I can actually see these emanating clouds with my eyes open while focused on any part of a dimly lit room. Still hasn't proven to be anything but trivial... but it could represent something useful though. I prob need more meditation to understand it. Might as well use them to maintain focus ya kno.

Ha and I've also been way more receptive to music, in that my brain (crown chakra?) actually responds to instrumentals. It literally "dances" non-stop and creates a new sense of euphoria. However I guess this could just one of the benefits of meditation and me drastically lowering my intake of cigarettes. So glad that I'll be smoke free soon

Blog Entries

If you're using nicotine patches, they're said to help induce vivid and lucid dreams.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Waffle Bear Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper
    If you're using nicotine patches, they're said to help induce vivid and lucid dreams.
    Hmm Interesting. Don't need em though cause I'm down to a three a day; freedom is about 3 weeks away Early in the morning I take melatonin sublingually and meditate for a little while and then pass out... and I gotta tell you that it has produced some pretty cool dreams.