Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Homosexuality- Gift or 'Spiritual Handicap?'

Psychonaut1984 Guest

Homosexuality- Gift or 'Spiritual Handicap?'

I have been reading a lot of things all over the internet, especially in some forums related to Taoism saying that Homosexuality is a 'spiritual handicap.' One person went as far as saying that homosexuals should not practice anything remotely involving when it comes to spiritual endeavors because it would be potentially dangerous to that person's psyche, being that all homosexuals are supposedly born off balance. I can't quote these sources off the top of my head.

Anyway despite how discouraging some of these opinions are, it made me question what exactly it means to be gay from a spiritual perspective. I know from my personal experience, I know that its not as simple as just sexual preference, there is a lot more to being gay then just liking the same sex. I feel as though being gay has in many ways (possibly indirectly) driven me to this very path that I am on right now; in pursuit of finding the truth, and peace in within myself and the world around me. I know this isn't necessarily the case for everyone, but in my case I feel like it really forced me to really examine who I am, and move past a lot of the superficial bs that plagues most people today.

I have read somewhere else that in some cultures they consider homosexuality to be a good thing and on the contrary to that other opinion I mentioned, means to be more balanced of feminine and masculine energies. I don't know exactly what all of this means, if it has any relevence, or if there is any truth behind it.

Part of me wants to fluff off that being a homosexual does not have any impact on my spiritual life, but In my opinion I feel like being gay has maybe indirectly opened my mind to a lot of things. I don't know if this has to do with just constantly feeling like an outsider and having to find my own way in life or if part of my sexuality has a role in my spirituality. I am not sure whether I agree if it is a 'spiritual handicap' and even if it is now that I am heavily involved in several spiritual practices, like astral projection and now I am thinking of getting involved in Hermetic mysticism, I don't think in my heart I could possibly give this up now.

Please share your thoughts on this issue.

Blog Entries

Re: Homosexuality- Gift or 'Spiritual Handicap?'

To me it is a non-issue. The innate sexuality one feels drawn to - personality distortions aside - is the only way you can be anyway. Whether this is heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality or asexuality. The main problem is not what you're attracted to, but what you find to be true within yourself when honestly looking inside and then to accept that.

I do not believe homosexuality is worse than any of these options, or better. It's just another inborn expression of the sexual urge.

I don't believe it has any "spiritual impact" beyond how you feel about yourself.

Oliver

Its not inherently either a help or handicap from a spiritual or energetic point of view.

There are a few practical issues caused by the way in which society treats spiritual or homosexual individuals.

In shamanic cultures, shamans are MORE likely to have alternative sexual preferences. In many of the Central American traditions, the shaman is also the councilor. This includes treating sexual issues of all genders. As part of the functioning religion in those societies shamans tend to be more spiritual.

In modern western culture dealing with being different from the "norm" for any reason is fairly similar psychologically, as such coping skills are readily transferable. In these societies, spiritual is as different from religious (the majority) as homosexuality is from heterosexuality. In my experience, spirituality blossoms more fully when freed from the conformity of societal norms. So perhaps a bit of advantage here too.

In some places, any indication of 'deviation' is treated with harsh punishment. Lack of space and freedom to explore and practice can be a huge disadvantage. In some extreme cases terminal.

In heavily Christian areas heavy guilt can be levied against homosexuals. The problems caused by taking on the guilt are numerous and can be spiritually crippling.

So in summary; homosexuality places no limitations on spiritual potential, but circumstances within society impact spiritual development.
    Sin nada (Nothing is impossible)

Psychonaut1984 Guest

I just came across this link right after I posted this topic. Ironically it mentions things that sound similar to what I was saying about having chosen this before I was born as a means of progressing:
    http://www.askrealjesus.com/L_CURRENTAF ... exual.html

Quote from the article:
    "For some reason a lot of this made sense to me. Basically this article says that homosexuality is caused from an inbalance of male/female energires before you are born, usually when the soul realizes it is entering a lower state of consciousness. It states that the best course of action is to reach a state of moving beyond sexuality. It discourages being in a relationship and having homosexual sex. It also mentions mystics who being life as a homosexual and use this life as a means to deal with the their spiritual wounds. This progress will backfire if they engage too much in homosexual activity.

In the new book, Save Yourself, we talk in great detail about why a soul often chooses to embody in very difficult circumstances. The main reason is that certain circumstances can force the soul to deal with some of its psychological hang-ups. Only by resolving these psychological blocks, can the soul make spiritual progress.

I have explained that the true cause of homosexuality is an imbalance between the soul’s male and female aspects. Some souls have reached a point where they can make no further progress until they resolve this imbalance. Therefore, certain souls can indeed choose to embody as homosexuals in order to force themselves to deal with the issue of sexuality and the imbalance between male and female aspects. Yet this is not done because the soul believes homosexuality is more spiritual or a higher from of sexuality. It is simply done as a tool to help the soul resolve its imbalances and therefore move beyond all homosexual tendencies.

I can state very clearly that there are no homosexual beings in heaven—no matter what certain people seem to believe. You cannot enter heaven as long as you have an imbalance between the male and female aspects of your own soul. When you do achieve the correct balance between male and female aspects, you transcend what most human beings see as sexuality. This does not mean that the soul loses its male or female nature. It means that the soul loses the need and desire to express sexuality through a physical body."
    My heart sunk a bit when I read this, partially because this rings really true to me for some reason. I have been increasingly worried that I need to do something in order to progress in this lifetime. Maybe becoming non-sexual might have to be one of those things? I really hope I didn't screw up my chances of progressing in this life now. I just started dating someone but if thats true then that means I have to break it off now.

Blog Entries

Yup, I agree with Oliver and wstein. I don't think it's a gift OR a handicap. It just is what it is.

I understand that homosexuality can be a social handicap in a good many cultures and societies, of course. Overcoming pain and confusion and so forth can be used for spiritual growth, but, frankly, so can a lot of things, including some very bad things. It is a gift to be able to use difficult events and as a springboard for spiritual growth; the "thing" or circumstances you're overcoming or transcending actually don't make much different (and, in my opinion, are not usually "gifts").

I think one's sexual orientation is just like any other aspect of their current incarnation. It just is what it is. Is being female a gift or a spiritual handicap? Some would say both, most would say neither. What about being thin or fat? How about being good with numbers? In all cases, the traits and qualities we have can be good, bad, or none of the above, and can help or hinder, depending on our unique circumstances and how we deal with the situations we have to deal with.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Psychonaut1984 Guest

Do any of you think this is something that I should be concerned about trying to fix or transcend in case this is a symptom of having a spiritual problem?

Blog Entries

Personally, I think we all do better if we simply express and experience love as it comes. So, concentrate on love in its many expressions and you'll be fine. Remember, too, to love yourself!
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut1984
    My heart sunk a bit when I read this, partially because this rings really true to me for some reason. I have been increasingly worried that I need to do something in order to progress in this lifetime. Maybe becoming non-sexual might have to be one of those things? I really hope I didn't screw up my chances of progressing in this life now. I just started dating someone but if thats true then that means I have to break it off now.
    So, you're becoming worried. That's not the ring of the truth, that's the ego running circles because of conflicts in your personality. Guilt, inferiority complex, whatever. You fear social rejection. Rejection can feel like withdrawing love, which in my experience can feel like being withdrawn existence itself.

From my personal experience there's a lot of ♥♥♥♥ed-up bozos out there writing a lot of the most idiotic crap about spiritual development and "energies". Sorry, cannot put it another way, really, because it makes me mad. It makes me furious if someone tries to convince others, out of their own homophobe tendencies, to not pursue their own sexuality in a healthy and open matter. It makes me furious because I know that having a partner and fulfilling oneself in this way is a vital and gratifying experience, and it is not only gratifying the lower self, but also the soul.

Most Daoist sites out there are plain crap. More so if they start to discuss "alchemy" or "sexual energies". I find this whole school of Daoism is being sensationalised, little is known, and since sexual energy carries quite a punch, a lot of non-spiritual people suddenly feel like "masters" or whatever while painting themselves in a spiritual corner. Given the nature of Daoist philosophy I am actually dismayed how many wannna-bes are out there expounding about a person's sexuality or spiritual development, based on the limited horizon of some master that maybe lived a few hundred years ago in a cave and may not have been so masterful at all.

The thing about sexual expression is this - you can only be true to yourself. Your true self. You can only follow the feeling of love, and how it wishes to express itself. Some people need nothing but platonic love in their lives, and have no sexual drive at all. They can be celibate, no bad consequences. Some people feel drawn to men, some to women, some to both. As long as it is love and not expression of some trauma or inner pain it is all for the best.

When you feel for your partner in a loving, caring way, if you feel this deep bond of trust, if you feel at home with a person, and then even feel a sexual attraction, what in the world would be the sense behind all of this if that limited your progress as a being? When sex is an expression of love instead of just a self-gratifying exercise, if you are experiencing it with another person instead of making that person an object only, then what could be wrong with that?

Homophobia seems to have penetrated into many "spiritual" schools - simply because it is such a strong cultural bias. I don't believe it has any spiritual validity whatsoever.

I do not believe in repressing or "sublimating" the sexual desire. IMO that is crippling part of yourself - how can that be elevating? If you have it, you have it.

Oliver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut1984
    Do any of you think this is something that I should be concerned about trying to fix or transcend in case this is a symptom of having a spiritual problem?
    I think the worries themselves are the problem. Maybe you need to take a close look at some of the beliefs underlying your life, or you end up having a less-fulfilling relationship simply because parts of you inside clash and collide - some beliefs somebody gave you that collide with your most basic needs. Better know those beliefs. These beliefs are what make you "vulnerable" to these articles that try to convince you homosexuality is in any way tainted spiritually. Without a belief along similar lines inside yourself, it would not resonate at all.

Maybe you unearth and undo that belief. IMO you would find it becomes a very different, more satisfying life for you, then. Nobody likes to live with guilt, doubt or shame. Better find those ideas and confront them, before they become an "enemy inside".

Take good care,
    Oliver

Blog Entries

Yay, go Oliver!
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast