Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you interpret dreams?

Psychonaut1984 Guest

How do you interpret dreams?

I record my dreams every night I have been doing this for some time. I rarely lucid dream, but I figured if I am still recording the dreams anyway, I might as well do something with it. I don't know where to even start as far as interpreting my dreams. It seems like a simple task, I review my dreams every once in a while and its all Greek to me. Occasionally its really obvious but usually its not. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Re: How do you interpret dreams?

I record dreams when they seem significant (I can tell when a dream has some value or meaning and when it's just random junk being sorted out. There's something different in the quality of the dream, it's got more "depth" or something, hard to explain.)

Many of them made no sense at all to me until some time after the fact when I looked back and the symbolism was totally obvious.

Sometimes, just writing it down will cause some "ah hah!" moments. Sometimes not. I still have some recurring dream symbols that are partly mysterious to me, actually. Eventually they'll be made clear, I'm sure.
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Blog Entries

Hey, Psychonaut.

Reading about dream interpretation helps - sometimes by giving your soul a hint which symbols you would understand. Your soul *wants* to communicate with you, so it adapts its language to your needs.

Here's an excellent series of articles that help me a lot in interpreting my dreams:

http://www.kurtleland.com/content/category/3/4/128/

I had good results with that.

What I find generally very helpful is loose association. By taking major symbols from the dream I start to make chains of association. Speaking them out loud also helps - this way it is easier to find puns.

Why don't you share some "best of" of yours with us and we all try to figure out the symbols?

Take care,
    Oliver

Psychonaut1984 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Korpo
    Hey, Psychonaut.

Reading about dream interpretation helps - sometimes by giving your soul a hint which symbols you would understand. Your soul *wants* to communicate with you, so it adapts its language to your needs.

Here's an excellent series of articles that help me a lot in interpreting my dreams:

http://www.kurtleland.com/content/category/3/4/128/

I had good results with that.

What I find generally very helpful is loose association. By taking major symbols from the dream I start to make chains of association. Speaking them out loud also helps - this way it is easier to find puns.

Why don't you share some "best of" of yours with us and we all try to figure out the symbols?

Take care,
    Oliver
    Thanks I will check that link out tomorrow.
    After reading Otherwhere it made me start thinking if my dreams actually had some significance.
    Its a little after 4 am, I'm taking a break before I attempt another trance session, but off hand I can tell you I dream about tornadoes almost every night or every other night. I can't tell you how long this has been going on for I want to say at least a year. Lately I have been dreaming about Cape May or the beach. I have zombie dreams very frequently though not as frequently as I used to. The zombie theme has been going on for longer than the tornado dreams, but less frequently. I also used to have a lot of shark dreams, more specifically the Great white shark. I did actually just have one last night, a guy was eaten by a great white while installing a fountain at this shady restaurant. The restaurant had a "cave" in the middle of it, and this all took place after a tornado watch was issued. The restaurant was in the woods and was rumored to have treasure buried underneath it. There were human remains all over the woods.
    One thing that all of these things have in common is that they are things I love. I have always been very fascinated with tornadoes and thunderstorms, [I still seriously entertain the idea of becoming an amateur storm chaser/photographer one day] I used to be obsessed with sharks when I was a kid, I love zombie movies, and I love the beach.
    Thats all I can say for now, I will check over my journal to see if there are other things I have been dreaming about frequently.

Blog Entries

It would be helpful if you write out whole dreams. Symbols need context, and can sometimes take on other meanings if the context requires it.

It is good that you wrote out how you feel about the symbols. Continue with associations. What feels right, what feels good? What does a symbol mean to you? How would you relate to the symbols in waking reality?

For example - what do you admire about sharks? Their strength, their sleekness, how they move, etc. What do they stand for to you specifically.

I mean, usually people find spiders icky, and when they dream of spiders they are a negative symbol. But to a spider enthusiast they might mean a lot of different things, and not icky. The soul knows that and speaks to you in your language.

Some thoughts on the symbols:

Zombies - not dead, not alive, not quite alive. Maybe about qualitify of life?
    Tornado - raw power, turmoil, destruction, the power of nature, disruption.

Oliver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut1984
    I did actually just have one last night, a guy was eaten by a great white while installing a fountain at this shady restaurant. The restaurant had a "cave" in the middle of it, and this all took place after a tornado watch was issued. The restaurant was in the woods and was rumored to have treasure buried underneath it. There were human remains all over the woods.
    So, symbols are: restaurant, cave, tornado watch, fountain, woods, human remains, great white shark, hidden treasure.

The restaurant is shady. The treasure is below it and hidden.

What were the human remains like? Where did they come from?

Oliver

Blog Entries

Restaurant - nutrition, service, social interaction. The juice fast maybe?
    Human remains - "what remains human", "remaining human"? Maybe "humane"?
    Restaurant, fountain - nutrition + drink?
    "cave in the middle" - "cave in in the middle"?
    Shark - Animal nature, needs of the body?
    Tornado watch - watch out?

Oliver

Blog Entries

Shady restaurant - "malnutrition"?
    The promise of hidden treasure - your personal object of desire

"Watch out that the fluid malnutrition does not get disruptive, remain humane. The animal nature strikes out against it." Maybe? Can't say.

Just guesses. It would be easier if I did this for myself, because I can query myself what connects and what does not. Also it would be my symbols. But this is the general process that I apply to my dreams.

Oliver

Psychonaut1984 Guest

I usually associate: pure awe, beauty, power, and destruction with tornadoes. Sharks particularly the great white I associate primal instinct, fear, sleek, perfection. Zombies: death, decay, rebellion, apolcalypse, unaware, cannibalistic.

As far as the other dream I can tell you the whole dream:
    I was in the car with my dad on the way to Montclair. We heard all these sounds coming from this wooded area. I went up to investigate. It was really overcast and I heard on the radio a tornado watch was issued. I got a visualization of the dopper radar. I went up to see what the sounds were. I figured it was high school kids having a party, but as I climbed up to this clearing at the top of this hill it turned out to be little toddlers running around. I remember looking up at the sky again to see if I saw anything. It was foggy and overcast but I did not see anything tornadic. The sky almost seemed to touch the hill we were on. I walked down from that clearing into the woods. As I walked I passed this stream and climbed up a little rock formation and noticed there were human skulls and bones in the dirt. They were all over. I went to take one for a souveneir but it occurred to me that it might be criminal to do so. I walked into this restaurant. Part of it was really classy looking, and then in the middle of it, it looked like a cave, the floor and ceiling was all dirt and roots, with a few stone Roman statues. I was with someone but I don't know who it was. There was no one in the restaurant and it was all open, its was not totally inside. There was an italian guy making some pizza in the kitchen. The person I was with dared me to go in through this door down in the basement. Just was he pushed me by the door, the italian guy asked me if I wanted anything. I said no and walked out the back. As I was walking around the back, I noticed two men working on this fountain. They reminded me of the three stooges. One of them slipped with a wire and they both got electricuted. Without skipping a beat they continued what they were doing and a huge shark head came up and bit one of them in half. The other guy was juggling body parts while the fountain filled up with blood. I continued walking.

Last night I had another dream about sharks I was watching this documentary in my dream, and two tiger sharks were mating and the male opened up in half and slid over the female. The narrator mentioned that the male usually but not always, dies or gets devoured by the female.

Blog Entries

Some dream symbols:

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Leland
    depths, or going downward--shadow's perspective.[...]

fountain, spring--source of life force. [...]

]hill--fighting an uphill battle (if the hill is hard to climb); or an attempt to achieve the soul's perspective (view from the top of the hill).
    Blood can also be synonymous for life force.

Some dream characters:

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Leland
    Soma: a representation of the body consciousness, often appearing as an animal, such as a horse or a dog [...]
    Participant: the part of you that acts in the dream--the hero
    Counterpart: reflections of you in other people, including past, present, and future selves, also your essential selves (those associated with activities that are related to your life purpose or are especially important to you), close friends, people you admire, etc.--this is the largest category of dream character
    [...]
    Shadow: the portion of consciousness that resists the learning required of you by the soul, often represented by a criminal type, an antagonist, a dark or sinister person, a dictator, etc.
    The shark would be the Soma (or a symbol), you are the Participant, the person with you seems to be the Shadow (tries to "get you down", is pushy) and all others are Counterparts.

Oliver