Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Enlightenment is "Growing Up"

Ouroboros Guest

Re: Enlightenment is "Growing Up"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskans
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamosis
    Thinking about this concept, too, has actually allowed me to see the value of both paths of dark and light. Undertaken consciously, a so-called dark path could be a very realistic attempt to cope with the realities of our world.
    I had to come back and protest against this. The charactoristic of our true self is the way it is because it is the only way for the most gratifying, harmonious happy,, and fair existence. Not just for our true self, but for all beings. When acting on Truth, everything works in the favor of not just ourself, but all those involved, no matter the circumstances, nomatter if they are trying to do us harm, they will still bennifit. Truth sets all things right no matter where it is applied, all beings love it wether they know it is truth or not. (that might not be the case for the worste of them but Ive never ran into a person immune to it).
    I dunno...I think it's entirely possible that if one sets out on something like the Left Hand Path (which by many is considered "dark" or "evil") it could lead one to the top of the same mountain as many "right hand" paths. In fact, that's sort of the direction I started out with. Granted, it's entirely dependent upon the individual and their motivations. In my opinion a true Seeker could find Truth via any path as long as the intention was there.

"There's a Seeker born every minute"

It turns out I only heard part of the quotation now that I've decided to look it up.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Firesign_Theatre/

Quote Originally Posted by Firesign Theatre
    Hello seeker! Now don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.
    As for who they are, I have no idea, but that's okay.

dreamosis Guest

My question is: how do we know there aren't a series of enlightenments awaiting us?

Perhaps there are many awakenings before we achieve the unity consciousness of which everyone speaks. Maybe the enlightenment known to humankind through religious and mystical traditions is only an adolescent type of enlightenment in the grander scheme.

What if the oneness that is spoken of in, say, Buddhist texts is no more than the oneness we're capable of experiencing in this form? It will be dramatic, altering us forever, but what if there's more work to be done after that? What if we find out we're simply in a bigger playing field than before?

Ouroboros Guest

My question is: how do we know there aren't a series of enlightenments awaiting us?

Perhaps there are many awakenings before we achieve the unity consciousness of which everyone speaks. Maybe the enlightenment known to humankind through religious and mystical traditions is only an adolescent type of enlightenment in the grander scheme.

What if the oneness that is spoken of in, say, Buddhist texts is no more than the oneness we're capable of experiencing in this form? It will be dramatic, altering us forever, but what if there's more work to be done after that? What if we find out we're simply in a bigger playing field than before?
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if that were the case. A series of graduated awakenings as one's awareness continues to grow.

dreamosis Guest

It isn't that I disbelieve a person can achieve unity in this lifetime -- I believe it's very possible. But I also believe that our choices aren't limited to unity and the wheel of rebirth.

What I'm saying is that maybe it's possible to get off the wheel of rebirth (at least, as far as this planet or physical incarnation is concerned) and to still be less than fully enlightened.

What I'm saying is that maybe it's possible to get off the wheel of rebirth (at least, as far as this planet or physical incarnation is concerned) and to still be less than fully enlightened.
    In Theravada Buddhism this is the Non-Returner stage, which is short of enlightenment. The person who reaches this level goes to a more refined non-physical place and gradually fades out over an extended period of time before entering into Nirvana.

Timotheus Guest

dreamosis Guest

that is it, what more does one require, but the 'if' of it.

You're on to something here! ... I came across a quote last night that both chilled and warmed me: For every answered question, there is an answer questioned.

Growing up, becoming enlightened, may be nothing more than total comfort with the idea that because the world is ever-changing, so is truth.