Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Anyone Who is not Shocked...

enoch Guest

"Anyone Who is not Shocked...

...by quantum theory has not understood it." - Niels Bohr

This 256 page book, titled "QUANTUM - A Guide for the Perplexed" by Jim Al-Khalili is a must-have for anyone finding it difficult to grasp the counter-intuitive, we could say, "magical" realm of quantum physics.

Very clearly written, full of great examples and thought excersises...and what's more - if you can't grasp some of the literature some of the time then each and (nearly) every page is cram-packed with great diagrams and pictures to boot.

The copy I'm currently reading was hired from the library. £14.99 brand new - although I'm sure there are bargain copies available from ebay or amazon.

Excellent!!

Quantitativefool Guest
    Ohh sounds good! and the Bohr Quote is good.

I'll have to look for the book.
    Thanks,
    -Stu

Blog Entries
    Thanks enoch. Even though I have read a few books about Quantum Physics, I still yet have to find an explanation for String theory that I can understand....
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler
    Thanks enoch. Even though I have read a few books about Quantum Physics, I still yet have to find an explanation for String theory that I can understand....
    There are interesting developments in string theory. People are actually losing faith with it, as little of it relates to the unvierse and laws as we observe them. This has led to the possibility that the universe we inhabit it but a small area of a much bigger place, and the laws which govern our local universe are unique to our area, and other areas have radically different laws and particle values.

enoch Guest
    I read that too, Chris. I think it was Paul Davies who brought my attention to the prospect of mother and daughter universes, etc. To dream that we're off-spring from a mother universe fills me with wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    There are interesting developments in string theory. People are actually losing faith with it, as little of it relates to the unvierse and laws as we observe them. This has led to the possibility that the universe we inhabit it but a small area of a much bigger place, and the laws which govern our local universe are unique to our area, and other areas have radically different laws and particle values.
    I think I am beginning to understand some of it. So I suppose it is about time that scientists reject it.

In any event, think of a vibrating string, like that of a violin. That takes me back to the old concept of the Music of the Spheres.

The latest scientific idea I have been reading about is the reinvention of the ether.

That and the holographic universe will keep me busy for some time...

Akashic_Librarian Guest
    Yeah looks cool might buy it...

Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophroniscus
    I think I am beginning to understand some of it. So I suppose it is about time that scientists reject it.

In any event, think of a vibrating string, like that of a violin. That takes me back to the old concept of the Music of the Spheres.

The latest scientific idea I have been reading about is the reinvention of the ether.

That and the holographic universe will keep me busy for some time...
    Science isn't rejecting it as such, just losing faith in its potential as a ToE (theory of everything). The problem with string theory is that the majority of it describes laws and states not present in our universe - which has led to the suggestions that these other 'universes' string theory describes are equally as valid as our own, and in fact, our own is just a local area (with it's own unique laws and rules), of a much bigger place consisting of radically different areas and rule sets.

The holographic universe is an interesting theory, and the book of the same name is too .

Science isn't rejecting it as such, just losing faith in its potential as a ToE (theory of everything). The problem with string theory is that the majority of it describes laws and states not present in our universe - which has led to the suggestions that these other 'universes' string theory describes are equally as valid as our own, and in fact, our own is just a local area (with it's own unique laws and rules), of a much bigger place consisting of radically different areas and rule sets.

The holographic universe is an interesting theory, and the book of the same name is too .
    The problem with the idea of the multiverse (or meta-universe), of course, is that it cannot be proven or disproven, so that it does not come under the heading of science.

Matthew Guest
    thanks, enoch... I put it on my amazon wish list... might pick it up soon.
    -Matthew