Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Anyone Who is not Shocked...

enoch Guest
    It cannot be proven or disproven that man landed on the moon - statistically speaking.

Just finished reading the book and, not being the sharpest pencil in the box, I found it extremely hard-going mid-way. I suppose it's the same with all modern science books - they're enticing initially and then really throw it at you when they have you undivided attention. Definately worth a second read, though. Just flitting through each page and studying the diagrams and descriptions is good, wholesome reading.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch
    It cannot be proven or disproven that man landed on the moon - statistically speaking.

Just finished reading the book and, not being the sharpest pencil in the box, I found it extremely hard-going mid-way. I suppose it's the same with all modern science books - they're enticing initially and then really throw it at you when they have you undivided attention. Definately worth a second read, though. Just flitting through each page and studying the diagrams and descriptions is good, wholesome reading.
    It is useful to me to believe that man landed on the moon. Show me how it is useful to me to believe in the concept of multiple universes...

hehe, physics isnt really my thing, but I might look into it.

Thanks.

Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophroniscus
    It is useful to me to believe that man landed on the moon. Show me how it is useful to me to believe in the concept of multiple universes...
    It isn't. Empirical evidence will be eventually found if these multiple universes do exist, and a multitude of new technologies built upon such science.
    Once quantum physics was theoretical and mainly considered as absurd. Now It is the basis of our current technology, from microchips, to x-ray machines - the science of QM spawned a multitude of technology which wouldn't of developed otherwise.

For example of where string theory might lead us to is the winner of last years 'nuclear and future flight' category of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronomics award. The paper submitted detailed a form of anti-gravity device and potential 'hyper drive' which could possibly fly us to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days. Our current technological level could possibly build devices based upon this paper if the funding was put there. At the least it shows that when string theory does start to mature, the technological breakthroughs will be astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    It isn't. Empirical evidence will be eventually found if these multiple universes do exist, and a multitude of new technologies built upon such science.
    Once quantum physics was theoretical and mainly considered as absurd. Now It is the basis of our current technology, from microchips, to x-ray machines - the science of QM spawned a multitude of technology which wouldn't of developed otherwise.

For example of where string theory might lead us to is the winner of last years 'nuclear and future flight' category of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronomics award. The paper submitted detailed a form of anti-gravity device and potential 'hyper drive' which could possibly fly us to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days. Our current technological level could possibly build devices based upon this paper if the funding was put there. At the least it shows that when string theory does start to mature, the technological breakthroughs will be astounding.
    But clearly two universes cannot be connected. If they were, they would be one. That is what it means to be a universe, the set of all objects implied by a specific discussion.

Chris Guest
    But clearly two universes cannot be connected. If they were, they would be one. That is what it means to be a universe, the set of all objects implied by a specific discussion.
    From what I can gather from this theory, there really is only 1 universe, but different areas of it have very different rules i.e. our perceivable universe is one area of a much larger place.
    Or in M-theory, our universe is a (mem)brane floating in 11-D space with multiple (infinite?) other branes which could each be a different universe with different rules.
    One theory of the big bang put forward suggests two of these branes collided, producing the energies which started our universe and also explaining the peculiarities of gravity (gravity is 'bleeding' to this brane from the one which collided with us and we are feeling the tail end of the force).
    As yet these are theories, but evidence for or against should be coming when CERNs new particle accelerator is completed.

enoch Guest
    whatever it turns out to be - quivering string, off-spring, or marble in a giants pocket - the sun will still rise in the east and I'll still feed my toe nails to the dog.