Thread: Playing the piano

Blog Entries

Playing the piano

I dreamt a long-winded story tonight, but I forgot.

Towards the end of that dream I sat down at a piano and started to play (in real life I can't). I played wonderfully, and after a while I realised (a bit of lucidity there) that what I was playing was something I never heard. I realised it must be creative inspiration, just pouring out of me.

I must have been partially lucid at this point, because I nearly stalled the process by becoming too conscious of it. I consciously listened inside to get more of this music (not realising how I could even play the piano), and after a while I got back going. So, this was not as spontaneous (where I just played without thinking where it came from) as what happened at first, but it also worked.

I felt wonderful, like being able to having an orchestra at my fingertips. I could translate big musical ideas (with richer harmonics) to the chords of the one hand and the melody of the other hand, and I played with that for a while. Suddenly I realised I had thrown in an accompanying run of notes with the feet as well - a rising and falling run of notes.

I thought - "Oh my, that will be hard to replay for others..." Then a while after I must have remembered that pianos do not have any way to play with your feet. Then I realised that even organs don't allow to play you single notes with each toe! I realised to have played the runs on the feet I had played the toes must have had their own set of keys like the piano has. That woke me up.

Imagine a concert pianist in a tux that walks on stage barefoot, and works a second set of keys with his feet.

What a lovely dream.

Oliver

Ouroboros Guest

Re: Playing the piano

That's an awesome dream! I've only had one dream similar to that, in which I was noodling around on the guitar and came up with an awesome sounding riff. I kind of remembered the finger positions I had used, and the next day tried to recreate it.

Sounded NOTHING like in the dream, hehe. =\

Blog Entries

Hehe, I see.

I always wanted to have music come my way in a dream, but by playing the piano? Unexpected.

You actually have to love the unexpectedness of it all, anyway.

Oliver

Blog Entries

I had one years ago where I played piano brilliantly. I was head mistress in an all-singing, all-dancing class of girls. Probably the best non-lucid dream I've ever had.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

I used to have dreams with the most beautiful music playing. I always thought that if I knew how to write the music down I could have been a great composer.

Fish Guest

Maybe you should take lessons

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fish
    Maybe you should take lessons
    Me, her, or both?

Oliver

Ouroboros Guest

Both!

It is my humble opinion as a musician that everyone could benefit from some musical training.

Blog Entries

It is my humble opinion as a musician that everyone could benefit from some musical training.
    Having started around 40, 3 years ago, I second that. My teacher made my day today by telling me I play from the heart.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Blog Entries

Oliver