Thread: A Question about Salt Baths

A Question about Salt Baths

What types of salt are effective if you cannot afford Sea Salt and cannot find Pickling Salt?

EOL007 Guest
    Hi,

Rob & Patrica are probably best informed on this.

I've tried bathing with common refined salt, Sea salt, Unrefined sea salt (usually a grayish colour and superior to standard sea salt)(very good)), dishwasher salt (usually refined rock salt/cheep), Dead Sea Salt (great but expensive) and Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate).

In fact most refined sea salt in not much better than refined rock salt. The whiter it is the more refined...

Unrefined salts are best... also good from a health point of view in terms of detox and mineral sodium/magnesium ion balance... Epsom salts can be found at most chemists (best to do a little research before using Epsom salts/and not for internal use)). Generally buy bulk for value.

I think Rob suggested swimming pool salt as best value.

Good luck with your bathing,

Stephen

Thank you! It's good to know Epsom Salts work too as they are only $2.50/4 lbs.. That fits my budget very nicely.

One more question: Is it OK to mix salt types? For example, I used 8 lbs of Epsom Salts and 5.5 lbs of Sea Salts (some of the sea salts had lavendar, white tea, jasmine and eucalyptus). This was a MEGA MEGA Salt bath of all time!!! I do feel a lot better. Interesting to note that certain parts of my body burned like crazy in the bath, namely my back, face and ribs. The bottom of my feet itched too.

That should keep the little buggers at bay for a while!

Blog Entries
    I use swimming pool salt. I usually mix it with Lavender body wash and scrub myself with it- I use it as a shower, because we have a septic tank and don't want to risk it. It works fine, I feel wonderful when I use it. My face and back also burn, but it's a good burn. I have heard of mixing regular salt (sodium chloride) with epsom salt (is it magnesium or potassium? Hmmm I used to know stuff like that...) Anyway, some people do it and it seems to work.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Quote Originally Posted by CFTraveler
    My face and back also burn, but it's a good burn.
    Thank you for the feedback, I had a feeling it was a good burn. I'm sold on these salt baths. I'll have to try swimming pool salt, I get the feeling Epsom salts are good, but not as effective as other salts. Or maybe I could move to the Dead Sea, pitch a tent on the beach and kick it for a few years...

I use swimming pool salt. I usually mix it with Lavender body wash and scrub myself with it- I use it as a shower, because we have a septic tank and don't want to risk it. It works fine, I feel wonderful when I use it. My face and back also burn, but it's a good burn. I have heard of mixing regular salt (sodium chloride) with epsom salt (is it magnesium or potassium? Hmmm I used to know stuff like that...) Anyway, some people do it and it seems to work.
    I'm not sure what swimming pool salt might be. Is it something containing (or releasing) free chlorine? That would cause the burn, I suppose. I don't think that's really a good idea. Chlorine is poison. Yes, people put it in drinking water, but that is done under strict controls. And people put it in swimming pools without such controls, but that can cause burning.

Personally I use three salts...
    1. Sea salt -- though ordinary table salt, rock salt or kosher salt would serve as well, [/*:m:196h29ut]
    2. Epsom salt, and[/*:m:196h29ut]
    3. Bicarbonate of soda.[/*:m:196h29ut]

I don't claim they cast out evil spirits, or anything like that. But they do help detoxify the body.

Blog Entries

Pool Salt 101

Swimming pool salt is plain old table salt, but in crystalline pellets. The formula for plain salt we eat is Sodium Chloride, (NaCl) and to release chlorine it must go through a machine that electrifies and releases the chlorine that way, not in a chemical way, like using pool chlorine which is Sodium hyplchlorite, which is an unstable form of salt which releases chlorine into the water.
    Pool salt is the same identical thing as table salt, but without added iodine. The reason that I use it is because we have a pool with a salt generator and are on well, therefore need salt for it and the water softener. BTW, most softener salt is the same as the pool salt, but "green salt" has some dangerous chemicals to remove iron, and should never be used.

Re: Pool Salt 101

Swimming pool salt is plain old table salt, but in crystalline pellets. The formula for plain salt we eat is Sodium Chloride, (NaCl) and to release chlorine it must go through a machine that electrifies and releases the chlorine that way, not in a chemical way, like using pool chlorine which is Sodium hyplchlorite, which is an unstable form of salt which releases chlorine into the water.
    Pool salt is the same identical thing as table salt, but without added iodine. The reason that I use it is because we have a pool with a salt generator and are on well, therefore need salt for it and the water softener. BTW, most softener salt is the same as the pool salt, but "green salt" has some dangerous chemicals to remove iron, and should never be used.
    Then I would suspect that the burn was simply due to abrasion of the skin.

Blog Entries
    Of course.
    Ever hear the expression 'rubbing salt on your wounds?'
    Ouch!

Ever hear the expression 'rubbing salt on your wounds?'
    Ouch!
    I'm with ya on this one CFTraveler!! Although I must confess, the burning on my back actually was caused by an abrasion . The other areas that experienced the burning sensation and/or itching were not from abrasions, however...