Good teachers can be guides who have already been down the path. The thing is, even people with well developed spirituality are still people. Sometimes they charge for services rendered.

Also, many techniques and ways of living do result in the end goal. "Your personal end goal" (Tai Chi, Chi Kung, Hoshin, ect..)
Its just that its seen much more often on the flip side of the coin. In the faster paths to learning, martial application is what I mean.Partaking in forum discussions can end up being a much slower learning proccess, especially if you have no teachers and have to rely on trial and error, your own research, and weeding out BS..

Also, my opinion, being that everyone needs to search out a personal truth.. So you'll not vibe with every teaching you come across, it is funny how so many teaching criss cross, and how so many of the teachings are similiar. Its important to keep an open mind though. Unfortunatly, even psychopaths can develop abilities of the metaphysical nature, so you have to be smart, and a bit selective - take what you read and hear with a grain of salt - but don't discount too much either. (It really can be a headache.)

Honestly, there are people even here I'd like to chat with, they don't have the time to answer all of my questions or do all the training I'd like to partake with them though.