Thread: Meditation May Increase Gray Matter

Blog Entries

Meditation May Increase Gray Matter

Excerpt:

In a study published in the journal NeuroImage and currently available online (by subscription), the researchers report that certain regions in the brains of long-term meditators were larger than in a similar control group.

Specifically, meditators showed significantly larger volumes of the hippocampus and areas within the orbito-frontal cortex, the thalamus and the inferior temporal gyrus — all regions known for regulating emotions.

"We know that people who consistently meditate have a singular ability to cultivate positive emotions, retain emotional stability and engage in mindful behavior," said Eileen Luders, lead author and a postdoctoral research fellow at the UCLA Laboratory of Neuro Imaging. "The observed differences in brain anatomy might give us a clue why meditators have these exceptional abilities."
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 134655.htm

I've been saying for years that meditation is the best tool for getting control of panic/anxiety or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It was the thing that really helped me get on top of that. Now I know why!
    May the light surround you, may you be blessed. May the light surround us, may we be blessed. May love and light surround us all, and may we all be healed and blessed. And so it is, and so it shall be, now and ever after.

Re: Meditation May Increase Gray Matter

i figured this out alooooooooooooong time ago, meditation is such an awsome thing and the route to unlocking many things of youre inner self

EDIT: lol when i posted this i had found that out maybe like a month ago.

boris Guest

word up

Because this was not a longitudinal study — which would have tracked meditators from the time they began meditating onward — it's possible that the meditators already had more regional gray matter and volume in specific areas; that may have attracted them to meditation in the first place, Luders said.
    That was my main concern with the results, and I'm glad it was mentioned in the article.
    Nothing to fear but fear itself.

"Fear is the great barrier to human growth. It is said that when we are born...we bring with us only two fears, of loud noise and falling. As we grow older we learn more and more fears so that by the time we reach maturity we are loaded with them." -Robert Monroe