In response to Wallbridge... the desire you have now to be born into that future life will factor in to your final decision. BUT before that happens, you will rejoin the other parts of yourself, and remember the understanding of who you are, where you've been already, and all the choices available to you in the future... so very likely you (as a totality of who you are as a soul) will have an even better idea of what you want to experience next. You're correct in assuming we have say in these types of things. In the spirit world (and consequently in our incarnations) everything we experience is of our choosing. We're not locked into anything. But that gets complicated. Some people are in a type of independent study where they choose each and every life, one at a time, down to the last detail, with little oversight. That may be you. Others (like me) are on a long-term path or curriculum under the guidance of spirit guides, tutors, and life planners. Where we trust them more than we trust ourselves, to pine over minute details of future incarnations. That may be you as well. In either case, it's still of your choosing whether or not you continue with your curriculum, whatever it is. Chances are you are not taking things one life at a time, so be ready for that.

To reword my own rambling, as much as we may wish for one thing, as soon as we 'die' and leave body, go home, and remember the bigger picture... our minds change. That's happened to me several times, where I promise myself R&R after my life is done and instead I just jump to my next one when the time comes even if I'm exhausted spiritually. Right now, even, I really want to just rest and reflect after this life but I'm supposed to reincarnate in 2040's Denmark as a girl named Eden. And while I already know what happens to Eden and want to part in it, I know that in the end I'll change my mind. And there's not much I can do about it. It feels icky, like being chained to destiny, because I still can't quite wrap my mind around it. But that's my experience and it's my understanding of how things work.

Of course your higher self understands your desire to live that life as much as you do, since it is you, and since it has immediate access to all your lives simultaneously and in parallel, including this moment right now... the necessity of your nudging your HS, or HS nudging you, in any direction, becomes impossible and/or unnecessary. It if feels like you need to nudge your HS one way or another in regards to that future life, then you should say kindly 'wtf?' and explore why there's a discrepancy there.