Thank you for your insights. Wstein. I appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by wstein

<2> For some, OBE is a great expansion as they discover the universe and their own capabilities far exceed anything they imagined.

I have had two kinds of OBEs--one is with strong (almost frightening) energy flows that results in a rebirth type of sensation inside and out of my body and being, the other is without such stunning power but almost dreamlike, only that you know it's not a dream. In the first type of experience, it does feel very powerful and magical. But this type of experiences are not very often and they do leave me with long lasting impact--physical rebirth type of awe lasting three four days and then taping off, spiritual type of awe really will stay with me as long as I live.

Quote Originally Posted by wstein

<3> The call to service is NOT part of meditation but a product of other factors. or 3) a response to feeling connected with all things (a step to self realization). Mediation is A method to achieve self realization but not the only one.
From my own experience, the urge to serve is a very apparent and definite result of meditation resulting from self realization. This is how my physical and spiritual development turns out. Because it's physical, emotional, and spiritual, there is no resisting or denying or mistaking it. Seeing all kinds of things happening around you or people suffering, you are touched by it and your energy wants to flow over to balance it out. I wasn't like that before. In the past, it's all intellectual or moral only. But after transformed by meditation, serving feels like the whole me and every part of me.

Yes, maybe meditation is not the only path to achieve self realization, but I would say that it will have to be through inner energy, no matter what path we take. And the inner energy needs to combine with self realization through step by step of knowing ourselves. (I wrote another thread on inner energy)

If through OBEs, we will still need to use the experiences to go through all our thoughts, emotions, memory, until we work through all these in dreams or OBEs, until finally we get to our inner self and to self realization.

At that point, it merge back to what meditation does.

Just my 2 cents.