Thread: Unpleasant dream

sono Guest

Unpleasant dream

Last night I had a muddled, disturbing dream about being in some kind of hospital, where I had no say over my treatment - a (male) doctor jabbed (but really more stabbed!) a hyperdermic needle into my arm several times with really vicious intent (it still hurts!) Then I was released, & allowed to stagger off along a corridor, only to see this doctor & another (female) doctor were running after me. The woman doctor then asked me to wash her jersey for her, which I said I'd be happy to do (!), so we all went to a laundry room. The machines were all taken, so I planned to wash it by hand in a tub; next minute I saw there was a free machine, & as I was about to load it, I noticed that there was an egg inside the drum, which someone was planning to boil in there!

We had an argument about it, I loaded the laundry, realized that the jersey was too delicate to wash along with other heavy stuff, so prised open the door & pulled the sodden mass out again.

I woke up feeling awful, & really depressed - but why, after such a really silly dream, I wonder?

Blog Entries

Re: Unpleasant dream

If this were my dream, I would take those feelings upon waking as a very clear indicator that it was about something significant. I'll give you some impressions I had and perhaps they'll help you work it out.

Last night I had a muddled, disturbing dream
    If it was muddled, perhaps attempting a dream re-entry will clarify some of the issues. In a meditative state, try bringing the dream environment back and have good look around for anything or anyone that may have been forgotten.

about being in some kind of hospital, where I had no say over my treatment
    This may be predictive, warning of an upcoming situation so you'll be ready to assert yourself. Of course, it may be commenting on something in progress. Maybe you should consider if some type of powerful institution is mistreating you.

a (male) doctor jabbed (but really more stabbed!) a hyperdermic needle into my arm several times with really vicious intent (it still hurts!)
    Possibly you feel a male figure is misusing his power over you or pretending to be helping you when, in fact, he is deliberately hurting you. An injection is supposed to be therapeutic but, in your case, it feels like a violation and cruelly intended. We sometimes use the expression, "He took a jab at me," or "He took a stab at me," when describing somebody attacking us verbally. It could just be a person forcing something on you that they feel is for your good but that you do not welcome. It's about something being forced into you, something you're internalising.

It's possible the doctor is a shadow aspect and the dream is a comment about beliefs that you've internalised that you may think you need as "medicine" but that are not sitting well with you.

I don't want to get too Freudian on you but if you're thinking about the symbolism of injections, the dream could be about issues around sexual intercourse.

Because of the turn in symbolic imagery your dream takes later, I'm also inclined to point out that injections can be used to induce birth.

Then I was released, & allowed to stagger off along a corridor, only to see this doctor & another (female) doctor were running after me.
    To stagger is to be shocked and overwhelmed. The female doctor possibly expresses your female side though she could conceivably represent a real woman too.

How did you feel when pursued by the two of them?

The woman doctor then asked me to wash her jersey for her, which I said I'd be happy to do (!), so we all went to a laundry room.
    Washing tends to be quite a positive dream action for me. Cleansing the garments can symbolise work with the unconscious female aspects such as intuition or gentleness or nurturing and so forth. Because we're talking garments, we're probably talking outward expression of these qualities.

The machines were all taken, so I planned to wash it by hand in a tub; next minute I saw there was a free machine, & as I was about to load it,
    Perhaps this is referencing not knowing exactly how you wish to go about this task of cleansing.

I noticed that there was an egg inside the drum, which someone was planning to boil in there!
    Well, eggs have implications of something about to be born. The egg to be boiled could be referencing something incubating. Alternately, the eggs that we eat that are boiled are those that aren't fertilised. It's disturbing to find it in a washing machine - not the place for something so fragile but washing machines run on cycles, as do women's reproductive systems . I'd wonder if this was related to issues of fertility/fruitfulness/creativity. I'd also consider the expression, "It'll all come out in the wash." If there were a pregnancy happening with someone close, I'd be a little worried by this dream imagery as it develops.

We had an argument about it, I loaded the laundry, realized that the jersey was too delicate to wash along with other heavy stuff, so prised open the door & pulled the sodden mass out again.
    At this point, I'd like to stop speculating and leave it to you. It's very hard to guess at meanings without really knowing what is occurring in your life. I hope one or two things I mention give you a lead.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

sono Guest

Thank you, Beekeeper, for that really in-depth analysis. I'm still rather stumped about it, though - I can't think of any issues in my life on those lines; except that I often have dreams of being forced to eat eggs (usually fried & leathery) & I wake up feeling queasy - am a vegan. Am being treated medically for hemiplegic migraine, & I admit I do rather resent the way my neurologist gave me no info or details about the condition, just produced a "label" for it; I had to research it myself & join a migraine forum.. . . I shall do as you advise, try to re-enter the dream. I have such an active dream life that I can hardly keep pace with noting them all down!

Blog Entries

Hello, sono.

If you are vegan and eggs keep coming up in your dreams - do you take nutritional supplements? You might not enjoy eating eggs, yet it might signal that they contain vital nutritients you need.

Oliver

Blog Entries

That's very astute, Oliver. I know vegans who get a yearly vitamin B shot. I'm pretty sure eggs are high in B vitamins.
    Williams)

Blog Entries

Yes, I think it is B12 that is lacking in a vegan diet. Ovo-lacto vegetarians have that base covered, I think.

Oliver

Blog Entries

Hmm, so the washing machine might represent a tummy and digestive processes.
    Williams)

sono Guest

Thanks for the input & concern, everyone - btw Korpo, I have been tested for vitamin/mineral deficiencies, & have none. . . . .but I do take multivitamins, plus various homeopathic tissue salts, & most importantly, according to my doctor, a supplement of magnesium ("the wonder mineral") which has had an excellent effect on my general physical & mental well-being I recommend it to everyone!
    PS re eggs, I can smell them from yards away in supermarkets, & find them nauseating - the dreams concerning eating eggs are nightmares, definitely. . . . .