Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dispelling the Loosh myth

Blog Entries

Dispelling the Loosh myth

Yesterday morning something came together for me, from something I've read years ago; Monroe's story about the "Loosh" garden, and the theosophic material I've been reading for quite a while. I hadn't thought about the Loosh story for quite a long while, but in a moment of quiet it came back to me and made sense in a new way.

Monroe had received the story as an information download. It's supposed to be some introductory information about the Earth learning system. Supposedly the purpose the system exists is to create a substance name Loosh of an ever-refined quantity. Plants, animals and finally humans were put into the garden to produce that substance (which equals unselfish love pretty much), and then it's “transported off” somewhere where it's a valuable commodity or something.

The Loosh story I've seen from time to time referenced as a fear-based scenario, similarly to "The Matrix",with the same message. 'See, they're using us!' Though it tells us nothing about who 'they' are and we cannot assess the accuracy of the information. An information download of this kind is said to be as accurate as the receiver allows for. Partial download and distortion of the information are to be expected with someone who is learning this skill – remember this is from Monroe's second book. To verify that Monroe was still evolving those skills one has only to look at “Journeys out of Body,” his first book, which is full of undecoded symbolism. But that was what Monroe was *seeing* (with his own astral eyes) at that point!

The theosophic idea about how we learn and grow as humans is as follows:

Material I haven't reviewed much yet says that before we become humans there's for example evolution in the plant and animal kingdoms. Then, a causal body is formed as our permanent soul, for as long as we incarnate as humans. This is supposedly the first time one has an individual soul.

The process of incarnation works like this: the causal body extends part of itself into the lower planes and a mental body is formed around that, then an astral body, finally an etheric body, which then becomes a blueprint for our growing physical body. This process is called 'involution',  whereas spirit comes into matter. Each lifetime brings new lower bodies, and each lifetime is a new mix of energies.

The purpose of all this is to learn and grow as a human, to experience certain lessons. The lower bodies are temporary vehicles for this purpose while the causal body is the permanent storehouse for the wisdom gained from each lifetime. Almost every lifetime contributes something to the growth of this soul or causal body.

Now, here's the thing. The causal body is only affected by the higher energies, for lack of a better word. Unselfish love, for example. Whenever a human serves the greater good, or commits an unselfish act, and so on, it's causal body stores that and it is positive growth from that particular lifetime. The causal body is not affected the other way round by negative emotions, so, even if many incarnations experience very little of these unselfish moments, the soul will grow.

So far, the story is rather similar to the Loosh story; some entity needs something from us, and this higher, refined quality is transmitted to it and stored there. But there are several vital differences that change the meaning of the story a lot for me.

First and foremost, seeing the soul and the incarnate as different entities is just half of the story, one possible viewpoint. But the soul and its incarnate are one. In fact, in later stages of soul evolution it can happen, and will happen ever more often, that an incarnate gets so aligned with its soul that it accesses the causal body more and more and finally gets totally identified with its soul. From this day on the incarnate will basically be his soul in a body on this planet, there is no more difference.

As causal body and lower bodies are just different levels of the same identity, nothing is ever handed over to someone else. Nothing is taken away. The gardener who sows and harvests plants a bit of itself, and in the best of circumstances that bit even grows back to make the full connection to this gardener. (In fact, the relationship between soul and incarnate is also explained with a gardener metaphor in the theosophical texts.)

But in the Loosh story energy gets handed on from the gardener, too, to somewhere else. In Theosophy, the causal body is not the highest level of identity possible, but the Monad. The Monad is basically a part of the Source itself, a part that chose to participate and evolve in the Universe the Source creates and witnesses. In this case a Monad chose to evolve by being a human, which is one possible choice, so it adopted a causal body. As the incarnate can grow to identify with the soul, the soul can grow to identify with the Monad, which will be the end of its evolutionary cycle. By this time it returned to Source.

This whole system makes it possible to define what spiritual growth is. Spiritual growth means agreeing to the process that is in place, evolving back to the Source by learning and growing; and willingly participating in it. This accelerates this process enormously. This is but one aspect of the relationship between soul and incarnate. It is a slightly different story from the one Monroe tells us, but in terms of the ultimate message it carries it couldn't differ more:

It's always you. Nothing is taken away. All the "Loosh" you create contributes to your own growth and well-being as a spirit.

Oliver
    Last edited by CFTraveler; 25th June 2013 at 08:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Dispelling the Loosh myth

I must say, the loosh idea stayed with me after reading Monroe. I like the connection you've made.

I don't take anyone's astral experiences as absolute truth. I think they're too easily shaped by personality factors. At the same time, they do present possibilities for consideration and it is interesting when sources appear to line up, presuming one hasn't already been exposed to the other.

I confess, I often tire of the speculation. I can see why people simply say it's unknowable or accept religious doctrine as truth or opt for more sinister explanations or reject the notion that there is a purpose at all when even the direct knowledge on these big questions (if you accept the possibility of such things) can apparently be distorted.
    "A dream is a question, not an answer."
    (Therapist and dreamworker Strephon Kaplan
    Williams)

Ouroboros Guest

Hey Korpo, if you haven't read My Big TOE yet, you might be interested in checking it out. It's a scientific take on very similar principles. Instead of the commonly used metaphors you see with spirituality, Campbell uses computers as the base of his metaphor.

In Campbell's model, the physical world is a virtual reality simulation used by the One Consciousness (AUM) as a system to lower it's entropy. The non-physical world is also a virtual reality, but of a different order (fewer limitations in the rule-set). The purpose of incarnating is to lower the entropy of your personal Independent Unit of Consciousness (IUOC), which in turn lowers the entropy of the Whole. Entropy is lowered by acting with caring intent (love) - in essence the same kinds of actions that generate "loosh." This loosh, or lowering of entropy, is needed for AUM to continue growing, as its options are the same as those of the IUOC's (and this is where Campbell's TOE differs from theosophy) - grow and evolve, or stagnate and devolve.

Now, I may not have a complete understanding of his theory because I haven't read the whole trilogy, but from what I've read the above is what I have gathered. Just thought there was an interesting parallel there.

Blog Entries

I just want to add to the metaphor- in Alchemy/Hermetic theory, the 'quintessence' is what you get after you do all the great works- but the nature of quintessence is that it already was there, the act of doing the works (which consists of resolving opposites)- extracts it, but it is actually the nature of everything.
    I feel this is another way to describe what you're saying- that what seems separate from one point of view is actually the same from the point of view of the whole.

Good job.
    https://linktr.ee/CoralieCFTraveler
    Rules:http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/faq.php
    "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal" Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    Hey Korpo, if you haven't read My Big TOE yet, you might be interested in checking it out. It's a scientific take on very similar principles. Instead of the commonly used metaphors you see with spirituality, Campbell uses computers as the base of his metaphor.
    Oh my...

In Campbell's model, the physical world is a virtual reality simulation used by the One Consciousness (AUM) as a system to lower it's entropy. The non-physical world is also a virtual reality, but of a different order (fewer limitations in the rule-set). The purpose of incarnating is to lower the entropy of your personal Independent Unit of Consciousness (IUOC), which in turn lowers the entropy of the Whole. Entropy is lowered by acting with caring intent (love) - in essence the same kinds of actions that generate "loosh." This loosh, or lowering of entropy, is needed for AUM to continue growing, as its options are the same as those of the IUOC's (and this is where Campbell's TOE differs from theosophy) - grow and evolve, or stagnate and devolve.
    This made my head hurt. Ouch! (Must have been the many acronyms... )

There's usually as many different conceptual frameworks as there are kinds of people, potentially infinite. But in practical terms there are just as many frameworks as people who can explain theirs and find people who want to adopt them, which is thankfully much less.

As you observed theosophy really has no concept of devolving - you may stagnate, but you can only progress in the long run. Mind you, you can be stuck for quite a long time, but in the end in theosophy there's always the pull of the Source/Logos on the one hand, which is irresistible in the long run, and the piling up of karma, which sooner or later makes it impossible to follow dead-end paths. There's a subtle attraction in the "right" direction and there's mounting resistance in all other directions. In this model you cannot be lost forever - just seemingly forever.

Oliver

Ouroboros Guest

Hehehe, sorry to make your head hurt. That is one thing about My Big TOE, it's very acronym heavy. A sad parallel to my current career field, IT Networking. The acronym rules all...maybe that's why I find his theory so appealing, lol.

One of the things I really like about Campbell is how often he says "don't take my word for it, find out for yourself and make your own Theory of Everything." He notes that the model he has developed is just a model, and shouldn't be confused for reality, as everyone's experience of that reality will be subjective.

Out of curiosity Korpo, do you follow Theosophy, or is it just your current area of study? (I notice you have a quote from Annie Besant in your sig).

Blog Entries

Hehehe, sorry to make your head hurt. That is one thing about My Big TOE, it's very acronym heavy. A sad parallel to my current career field, IT Networking. The acronym rules all...maybe that's why I find his theory so appealing, lol.
    I already have acronym overload in my day job...

Out of curiosity Korpo, do you follow Theosophy, or is it just your current area of study? (I notice you have a quote from Annie Besant in your sig).
    Well, if there was a theosophic society or lodge round here, I'd consider joining. Currently I'm learning from teachings and channeled material that heavily references theosophic material as a basic framework.

Oliver

Ouroboros Guest

Cool. I've done some reading of Theosophical material, nothing overly extensive, but enough to have an interest in it and keep it in consideration for an operating framework.

Keep us posted

Blog Entries

Well, till now I didn't know about what "My Big TOE" was about either, so - thanks.

Oliver

I think he is trying to ineterpret the basis of chi, energy, you know, the reason we are alive. He is trying to put it into terms that the west can appreciate.

but, the problem is, there is some fool woman online using his theory to try and get people not to meditate. I found this place attempting to refute her arguements, which worked, because none of the trolls on the particular forum could refute what I did to her articles.

If you would like to check out this lunatic's rants, check it out here.... she calls herself the whistleblower on enlightenment.
    http://brontebaxter.wordpress.com/bl...w-age-heretic/

So, after reading that she is a propagator of his theories, I am a bit skeptic to follow them.

Though, I do accept the Michael Talbot book about Pribram and Brohm's holographic universe book.

Makes more sense.